W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• January 18, 2018, 04:03:36 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Gaining speed in applying a tactic  (Read 3358 times)

whitewolf

• Level 4
Gaining speed in applying a tactic
« on: November 05, 2010, 06:50:16 AM »

Thought I would put this out for comments.
I practise a lot of tactics "solo"- what i will do is stand in front of a hanging bag and do the first movement in a tactic-while doing the first movement slowly I think of the next step in the progression of the complete tactic-i go through the complete cycle  that way-always thinking of the next movement  while completing the whole tactic. So pysically i am doing a movement and mentally i am ahead at the next movement. After this i do the  complete movement pushing the bag and as it swings back i do the whole tactic.
This appears to give me more speed. I will do the same tactic 4-5 times and move on to another one. You can do the same using boxing movements-(Jab and think slip-do it- Jab think right cross-do it) etc----for what its worth-  WW (El Lobo Blanco ) Speed of light (in my own mind)-oh actually this is good when learning a new tactic (at least for me as it takes awhile for me to pick up on new movements)

Kentbob

• JOAT
  • Level 4
  • Sound the horn and call the cry
    • Antrim Self-Protection
Re: Gaining speed in applying a tactic
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 09:14:36 AM »

I do a lot of this as well, on the bag or against pads.  It does seem to help, but only to a point.  As Hock is fond of quoting, nothing replaces ring-time.  So far I have not engaged anyone in sparring or a fight in this sort of continuous, blitzing type of attack.  I suppose I could, if necessary, but so far fights and sparring have been something where I don't desire to obliterate the other person.

Kent
"Specialization is for insects."-Robert A. Heinlein

http://antrimmasp.blogspot.com/

Keith Miller

• Level 4
  • "Shut the F@*k Up, Donnie!"
    • MMA Fitness Online
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 11:13:09 AM »

WW - Tactics sounds very...well "tactical". Are you a secret agent or Navy Seal practicing sentry removal "tactics" or are you just "hitting a heavy bag" like everybody else does?

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 12:13:15 PM »

Keith-No Navy Seal here or a secret ninja either- just a old whitewolf working with
the public who want to take self defense lessons-oh-the 2 police officers taking my class
have used the tactics-they say it works to think ahead-
In Hocks knife counter knife book there is a few paragraphs on working solo-it helps me
out-both for practise and also when I review for the class on what to go over that lesson.
Most of my students take 1 or 2 lessons only a week-so i attempt to teach as best i can so they will respond in a actual confortation-
WW

Keith Miller

• Level 4
    • MMA Fitness Online
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 12:55:19 PM »

If you have a great new training method, please share it.

However, I don't see how training combos on a heavy bag is so evolutionary. You say that you are changing the training by "Thinking ahead"? Isn't that what training a combo is supposed to be?

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 01:15:31 PM »

Keith guess i did not explain very well-i am sorry-anyway what I am doing is just using the bag as something in front of me-you can do it just standing in the middle of a mat also-what i am attempting to do is =in slow motion make the first move- i.e.-he is choking with both hands-you immediately come up with palm to chin-and as you do that you are  thinking  of next movement which may be comming accross with forearm to throat-then while you move to throat you are  thinking of next move which may be second strike with other palm to groin -then while doing that you are  thinking  of next one which may be left upper elbow to face- this goes on practising the thinking ahead.

The tactics are all basics taught by many self defense instructors-what i attempt to do is move ahead while hitting this goes on thinking of next movement-also the B.P.P.OF Hocks is a good way to practise this principal.

I call this continuous combat motion -i was shown this in europe -(its not new)

I guess you could call it a continous vidio where the next movement pops up in your brain-(sounds silly i know)-try it-i am open to your thoughts-WW

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 01:52:08 PM »

Keith i just thought of another way this thinking ahead helps-
I read where someone is driving on a highway and they say to them selves what woul i do if someone cuts in front of me or stops sudenly- this process save my life many times patroling on  kuwiat highways. its the same principal-thinking ahead-
you can do this walking also-you see someone comming along-you say to your self -what do i do if they attack-an you run a sanario thorugh your mind- its all the same- i just like to try to think ahead when training. One good friend (a special ops commander in Greece) worked on these thoughts with me)
Its not majic just another way to train.
WW

Keith Miller

• Level 4
    • MMA Fitness Online
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 03:53:40 PM »

The second thing you are talking about is referred to by many special groups as "War Gaming".

The first...I would just call "slow motion practice", and dispense with the clever tactical names. It makes you sound like a Commander Coal/Capt. Chris Douchebag.

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2010, 05:04:01 PM »

Keith the "continuous combat motion" is english translation for Hebrew- Retzev-
used by a Israeli School- Sence I do not belong to it officially I do not use the Hebrew.

In addition the students understand the term contineous-combat- and motion...

Its not big faluting tittle- just words that the student can relate to.

What  u want me to call it --Mamby pamby hits----

Reread the post- it speaks of a   lot of things in a short space- to include b-p-p
This speed practise works for me- it works for a police officer who goes into cells alone with rapists and shooters-and it saved my butt in Kuwait--so i am going to keep on passing it on, try it u might like it..
If not thats OK- whitewolf (el Lobo Blanco) speed of light

Download