W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• June 20, 2018, 03:31:10 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ammunition question  (Read 2043 times)

Smitty

• Forum Member
Ammunition question
« on: January 09, 2005, 09:33:29 AM »

OK, I'm a 'newbie', handguns are new to me.

I've spent nearly 2 hours this afternoon doing an internet search with no success. I'm certain someone here can answer this for me.

I understand "caliber" is the diameter of the load; .22, .38, .44, etc is a fraction of an inch; and 9mm is quite self-evident.

BUT, I'm seeing many other li'l designations which I do not understand. What are: "JHP", "JSP", "ACP", "SIG", "XTP", "+ P"... I did see a "DP" designation on one box and learned that was code for "deep penetrating."  And, I figured easily that "FMJ" stands for Full Metal Jacket.

Thanks in advance...

Smitty

Trembula

Re: Ammunition question
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2005, 10:33:30 AM »

JHP - jacketted hollow point. The lead bullet is covered over most of the surface with a copper covering which helps reduce fouling of the bore's rifling and helps keep the bullet from fragmenting when it impacts. Go to Wal-Mart or your local gun store and examine some of these yourself - it will make a lot more sense
JSP - jacketed soft point (I think) - similar except there isn't a hollow point.
FMJ - aka "Hardball" - just a plain lead bullet with a metal coating over the lead. Deforms upon impact, but doesn't expand much. It is what the military uses per the Geneva Convention, despite its relative ineffectiveness on living tissue compared to expanding ammuntion (hollow points for example). Most folks use FMJ ammo for target practice. The politicians sometimes consider it "cop killer" ammo because it tends to penetrate soft body armor better than say, a JHP round.
ACP - most often found in the following format ".45 ACP" (also .32 ACP and maybe one or two others). Stands for "Automatic Colt Pistol" - the 1911 handgun and the .45 ACP cartridge were designed about the same time and more or less created for each other. Colt was the original manufacture of the 1911....
SIG - well, this is the short name for Sig-Sauer, manufacturers of the 226, 228, 229, 220, and many other quality handguns. They developed a necked-down cartridge using a .357 caliber bullet but what is essentially a .40 S&W sized case. Being the inventors of the cartridge, they named it after themselves. .357 SIG is VERY different from .357 Magnum, even though the bullets are the same caliber.
+P refers to a cartridge of standard dimensions that has a higher pressure (different gunpowder or sometimes just more of it) that has a little more "oomph" than the same cartridge without the +P designator. I have also seen +P+ which I gather to be an even hotter load. Generally safe to fire in high quality firearms made after WW2, but check with the manufacturer first to see what they recommend. Not a good idea to use in antiques or guns of questionable quality.

Dan

Smitty

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2005, 10:23:26 AM »

I take it the .357 SIG is a "hotter" load than the .357 MAG.

Thanks, Dan, for explaining these abbreviations for me.

And, to all; my apology for this topic showing up twice... I dunno how my computer managed to do this, but I'm sure it had something to do with the "reload" screen that appeared after I submitted.

Smitty

chalkieusa

• Just another student
  • Forum Member
    • United Martial Arts of Maryland
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2005, 10:54:44 AM »

357 SIG was a round that has been developed over the past few years for the SIG series of pistols. It is basically a pistol round with a necked case to fit the 357 bullet. It think it is a 10mm case that is molded down.
Train for the pain!
Shoot, shoot and shoot!
Better that you sweat a puddle in the dojo, than a puddle of blood in the street.

Trembula

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2005, 12:59:05 PM »

.357 Magnum is "hotter" than .357 Sig, but .357 Sig is a pretty powerful round - a clear step up from 9mm, even though it is essentially the same size bullet.

Dan

GTC-554

• Level 1
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2005, 09:17:40 PM »

357 SIG was a round that has been developed over the past few years for the SIG series of pistols. It is basically a pistol round with a necked case to fit the 357 bullet. It think it is a 10mm case that is molded down.

It's a 40 S&W.
"The world is a dangerous place to live not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
Albert Einstein

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."
Marcus Aurelius

Download