W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• January 20, 2018, 05:19:11 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My Old Knife Book...$900?  (Read 8035 times)

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
My Old Knife Book...$900?
« on: December 31, 2010, 04:10:09 PM »

I can't believe this.
My old, outdated, 1995 knife book is going for $900-plus dollars
Surely no one is buying it at that price. It has to be a pipe dream.
Jeez-o-flip!  Get the new one!
http://www.hockscqc.com/shop/product391.html

Hock
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 10:04:57 AM by Hock »

Hawkeye

• Level 1
Re: My Old Knife Book...$900?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 10:11:12 AM »

I've got all 3 of those old ones I bought from you when they were current.
I wonder if I should not have put the self-adhesive plastic covers on them, probably cuts down the collectors price.

Usually, with a softcover book I train from, I take it to the local print shop and they cut the spine off so it's loose-leaf. Then I 3-hole punch it and use a binder.

Since I didn't do that in this case, I'm not sure if I just didn't get around to it or I didn't train with them as much as I should have.

I still like looking at them occasionally. Even if everything's not up to date any longer, there's always something good (or at least interesting) I spot when I go through them.

arnold

• the king of cool
  • Level 4
  • oh that will get you killed
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 03:49:11 PM »

Admit it. It's my picture that makes it worth so much!
I leave you idiots alone for 5 minutes and I come back and you're all dancing around like a bunch of Kansas City faggots
you're all a bunch of slack jawed faggots around here, this stuff will make you a sexual tyrannosaurus, just like me!

Hawkeye

• Level 1
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 08:23:41 PM »

That must be true...that's why I bought the books  ;)

sarguy

• Level 4
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 01:27:00 AM »

I got mine for a paltry 30 bucks if I recall. I know Hock says to burn it, but obviously it's turning out to be a better investment than the stock market.

Benjamin Liu

• Level 4
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 06:20:21 AM »

Book values can climb and drop very easily.  It all depends on whether someone wants to buy one or not.  Martial arts and combat-type books usually jump in price when they go out of publication.  One reason is that people normally keep them for reference rather than donating or selling them to used bookstore or libraries once they read them.  That is why you usually see fiction, best-sellers, some types of business books, etc in used bookstores but rarely martial arts books.

In looking through used books on Amazon I found that I have many books going for over 10 times what I paid for them, but that is really just what someone happens to charge for them, it really isn't like I can easily convert my library into lots of cash.  I've also seen some of the "banned" Paladin books go from $400.00+ each (prices they had for years) suddenly drop to around $40-50.00.

Amazon sometimes has good deals on these books, other times they have fair deals, and then there are the price gougers.  I suspect that when people put a book for sale in the high  hundreds of dollars they just do it in hopes that somewhere in the US there is one person who really wants the book and will pay anything for it.  They really have little to lose by letting a book sit on a shelf for a few years until someone buys it.

In a sense buying rare martial arts and combat books is like buying custom or hard-to-find semi-production knives.  If you really want one you'll pay for it, but there are often less expensive options if you just want something practical.

Benjamin Liu

• Level 4
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 06:31:54 AM »

I think I got my copy at Borders for around $40.00 in late 2001 or early 2002.  IMO it is the best and most comprehensive knife book I've seen, but then I haven't seen the new one.  I have TM 1-3 but they are not exclusively knife books.

Look at the competition.  I have most of Paladin's knife books, and the best is "Master of the Blade" by Rich Ryan, and the "Knife Fighting Encylopedia" is better than that.  The other Paladin books I have are very thin, including the supposed "Complete Book of Knife Fighting."  I have a few from martial arts publishers and looked through others at book stores and none of the martial arts knife books are as good. 

I'm not counting general FMA books here, but most of those that I've seen or read are just introductions, with the exception being "Presas Style and Balisong" which is a great book, but I got that in Manila and it is expensive if you can find a copy in the US.

I haven't read Dwight McLemore's Bowie books yet, so those might be better, but if they are, it would still put the "Knife Fighting Encylopedia"  in the top 5 or so knife books.

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 08:51:32 AM »

Then my new one will knock you off your feet and leave your shoes standing up empty on the
floor   ;D

Hock

Dwight McLemore

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, 12:38:56 PM »

Big Megga Ditto on Hock's newer books. It will knock your socks off  Ben....my Bowie knife books are over a decade old.  The first one was strongly influenced by Hoch's Enclyopedia....wonder why....back then we were all doing a lot of training with Hoch.  The focus of the first one was on medium range fighting or engagements one-on-one in the onset of an attack. It is not 'Dueling' per sae but the focus of most of the examples is in that 'squared off' mode.  Yes, I'm aware of how unlikely this scenario is but it is just another phase of the expert knife curriculum that we all worked through back in those days. My second Bowie book was a bit better in that I corrected all my historical errors and added the hand-on-hand aspects.  The danger of working with historical icons like the Bowie is one tends to believe the Folklore and Myths.  Again a mistake I have learned from.  I have an unfinished manuscript on the grappling , brawling and ground aspect with a big knife but it is on the shelf, because I've got interested in other things. Besides everyone is a 'Bowie Knife' Expert these  days.  Remember that Hoch was my teacher and mentor so you want see me stray too far from his 'Written Word' .

All My Best
Dwight

Dwight McLemore

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2011, 12:46:55 PM »

BTW   Don't burn those Knife Fighting Enclycopedias.   It is still the best generic curriculum guideline for introducing the knife into any curriculum.  Back when I had my school open I used it as the 'go Bye' for our Expert Knife Test.  Hoch's Military Knife and the new book all sort of fall into Master  Level Course that can be used to adapt to a variety of other edged weapons.   :)

Best
Dwight

Snake Blocker

• Forum Member
My Old Knife Book...$900?
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2011, 08:17:38 PM »

Dan Inosanto's hard bound biography book is also selling for $995.  I've got Guru Dan's books and all of Hock's knife books and 3 of Hock's fiction books, plus several manuals and many of his VHS and about 60% of his DVDs.  Just when I think I'm catching up, Hock puts out another book or DVD, but I recommend everyone to keep buying Hock's material until you have it all. You will have to budget but every true master and serious fighter must have an extensive library of videos and books on the martial arts.  Remember Sijo Bruce Lee had a little over 1,000 books in his collection (which is my current goal).  I have close to 300 right now and yes, I've invested several thousand dollars in my library, but it's worth every penny.

Benjamin Liu

• Level 4
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2011, 06:03:37 PM »

I've got the new book and it is better than the old one, so that makes the old one the 2nd best knife book I've seen so far.  I own 17 other knife books and have looked through others at the store/gun show.

Mr. Barnett

• Level 4
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2011, 09:06:01 AM »

I think that the information on the videos, regardless of format are rare and valuable.  Especially as a material is in limited circulation, and not copied.  (maybe)  I wouldn't take less than a few hundred for a few of them, at least!   Seems reasonable even.   Vintage Hochheim.  c. 1995 .  It's all pretty cool to me.  Write on.
-The natural right of self-defense permits us to oppose an enemy with the same arms he uses, and to make his own rage and folly recoil upon himself-

Mr. Barnett

• Level 4
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2011, 09:07:37 AM »

I think you're right Snake, the library is important, and looks cool.

-The natural right of self-defense permits us to oppose an enemy with the same arms he uses, and to make his own rage and folly recoil upon himself-

Benjamin Liu

• Level 4
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2012, 08:39:34 PM »

Amazon now has 4 copies for under $20.00.

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2012, 10:56:47 PM »

I will buy them and destroy them.

Hock

Download