W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• April 22, 2018, 04:10:12 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The Hammock and combatives  (Read 1506 times)

JimH

• Level 4
The Hammock and combatives
« on: January 17, 2011, 03:57:26 PM »

How does a hammock relate to unarmed combatives ?
Well let's see:

Control of the Hammock requires control and positioning.
If I want to sit on a hammock I have choices:
Two legs over /straddle the Hammock
Two legs inside  making sure to have body over center,weight distributed evenly.
One leg out ,one leg in, leg out can be close or far as long as inside leg maintains a balance position with body weight closer to being over inside leg.

Laying in a Hammock:
I must find the center of the Hammock for control
Too much left or right,while body is straight and I can fall,or be tipped out by the Hammock /Gravity.
I can Lay across the Hammock,body over both sides as long as weight across is distributed evenly,too much either side I am tipped out.
I can lay inside the Hammock,on my back,with upper body one side and lower body on the other side,as long as the majority of the weight is over the center of the Hammock,once a shift in weight happens I may be tipped out.

I can lay in a Hammock face down again as long as I maintain my center in relation to the center of the hammock.
If I lay face down ,legs spread,hands /arms in any movement of the hammock and I will likely tip out.
If I lay face down ,legs spread,Hands/arms spread if hammock moves I have better control and can stabilize and not be tipped out as easily.

I can lay in the Hammock on my side as long as I stay centered with most of the body weight over the center,any movement from center means I can lose control and the hammock can tip me out.

There are many more comparisons to the positions of controlling the Hammock but I just wanted to show that control of an inanimate object is no different than control of a human as long as we adhere to principles of control of the center line balance and weight distribution over the center.

If a Hammock can dump me due to improper balance over it or in it over the ground and dealing with gravity then the same applies to the ease of the ability of a human to deal with me in the same manner over ,under them in relation to gravity,balance,center line and weight distribution.

It is not the rocket science many would have you believe it to be.

Keith Miller

• Level 4
  • "Shut the F@*k Up, Donnie!"
    • MMA Fitness Online
Re: The Hammock and combatives
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 05:10:26 PM »

Well it might not be "rocket science" in your mind's eye...but I think too many people think that they can practice their grappling on a Hammock instead of the mat. And just say, "Oh...it's the same as standing. I don't need to spend any time working it."

You're in for a big surprise if that's what you think.

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 06:43:46 PM »

What JimH is saying is that one needs to train outside his element so they can react when things dont go the way they are used to........
How many CQC instructors train out in a alley with objects on the ground???? How many train blind folded?
How many train in a Hammock???? ;D
Not to many-hope more will do this in the future------
whitewolf (el  lobo blanco ) speed of light

JimH

• Level 4
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 09:02:38 PM »

I am not  saying to train on a hammock.
I am saying the priciples of staying on a Hammock are the same principals that apply to staying in a top position,and then in knowing how to work the top position transition and  take the opponent from the bottom position as well through taking / shifting balance,center line and body weight .

The principles of staying on a Hammock are the same principles to stay on a person,shift,move,go to high ,go to low,cross with too much bdy wt on either side  and the Hammock and or the opponent throws your butt off.

The hammock does so from gravity,so can we assume that Gravity plays a part in how position /balance works when in conflict or against another human ?
Of Course,unless we think we are doing it all from brut strength,lol.

Download