W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• January 17, 2018, 04:55:16 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Old school bow makes a Bison kill!  (Read 2596 times)

Snake Blocker

• Forum Member
Old school bow makes a Bison kill!
« on: February 21, 2011, 06:51:43 PM »

Hock, since I didn't see a Bow & Arrow topic, I'm posting it on the knife section (hint).

I get asked about the effectiveness of the basic bow (as used in the early days).  One of my students, Butch sent me this email today.  Butch makes bows from scratch and I have one of his bows.  He does it all old school and he is a great hunter and he studies Apache Knife Fighting & Battle Tactics from me:

"Snake, good to hear you are doing well and staying busy. Remember a little Osage bow I built a couple years ago and I named it " Lozen" Apache Warrior?? Last week I had a chance to shoot a buffalo with that little bow. This was an assassination, the Chochiti Pueblo wanted to cull a number of animals because of the high cost of feeding them etc. Anyway, the Chochiti guys were a bit skeptical about using this little osage bow because the other couple guys were shooting their buffalo with large caliber rifles. Yea, they really liked the bow until they read my Inscription " Lozen" Apache Warrior etc, then I felt a bit of coldness from them..........hhhuummmmm, we will have to talk about that someday over coffee, Ha.   Anyway, the first arrow went almost to the Fletch , and the 2nd arrow never slowed down, and the 3rd arrow, which was only for insurance, angled forward into the off shoulder. Those Chochiti boys thought that little wood bow was alright after that. Will send you some buffalo jerky when I get it made up. Looking forward to training with you  again.  Stay Tough.   Butch"

arnold

• the king of cool
  • Level 4
  • oh that will get you killed
Re: Old school bow makes a Bison kill!
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 07:14:47 PM »

Excellent! Buffalo jerky is outstanding
I leave you idiots alone for 5 minutes and I come back and you're all dancing around like a bunch of Kansas City faggots
you're all a bunch of slack jawed faggots around here, this stuff will make you a sexual tyrannosaurus, just like me!

Professor

• In your house drinking your coffee
  • Level 4
  • The Warlord
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 10:09:36 PM »

love shooting my osage, hickory and bamboo stick bow!   
  'Advanced' is being able to do the basics, despite what else is happening. 

Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any AMERICA because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!"  --- Chesty Puller, USMC

Kentbob

• JOAT
  • Level 4
  • Sound the horn and call the cry
    • Antrim Self-Protection
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 11:12:17 PM »

Nice.  If I understand correctly, osage is second only to yew in terms of making a good, strong-pulling bow.  It's also nearly as difficult to work by hand, from what I've read.  Neat story, for sure.  I want to make my own bow at some point in time...just need some materials.

Kent
"Specialization is for insects."-Robert A. Heinlein

http://antrimmasp.blogspot.com/

Webby

• Level 4
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 07:43:47 AM »

Snakeblocker is right we need a bow section. I recently watched a history programme on Brit TV. They where excavating a site called Crickley Hill. Neolithic battle ground judging by the amount of flint arrow heads and skulls with holes in them. They recreated a neolithic bow and shot at a pig carass at ten meters the arrow was almost a through and through.Archery and warfare are so interlinked in England, Harold ( the last English King of England ) took one in the eye at Hastlings in 1066. Lord Darce took off his helmet at the Battle of Towton to drink some water and took one through the head. It is said that the bow men of The Wars of the Roses could put a clothyard  shaft through plate and chainmail at 200yds. Max range with a practiced archer was 370yrds with the lightest shaft. They would say a prayer to St.Sebastian and ' loose ' up to 12 in 60sec's.
It's not a vast rate of fire, but if you have several thousand doing it at the same time you get ' Arrow Storm '.   

Download