W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• April 26, 2018, 10:52:47 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Put em down, Take em out! Knife Fighting from Folsom Prison.  (Read 10020 times)

MurrayBros

• New Philadelphia, OH
  • Forum Member
  • Brian Murray
    • Murray Brothers Combat Arts Alliance
Put em down, Take em out! Knife Fighting from Folsom Prison.
« on: October 12, 2004, 07:47:39 AM »

I just read this book "Put em down, Take em out! Knife Fighting Techniques from Folsom Prison" by Don Pentecost.  Has anyone else read this book and if so what are you thoughts on it. 

Brian Murray
New Philadelphia, OH

Professor

• In your house drinking your coffee
  • Level 4
  • The Warlord
Re: Put em down, Take em out! Knife Fighting from Folsom Prison.
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2004, 08:22:52 AM »

I just read this book "Put em down, Take em out! Knife Fighting Techniques from Folsom Prison" by Don Pentecost.  Has anyone else read this book and if so what are you thoughts on it. 

Brian Murray

It's OK if you don't know anything else.....                                                                                                     
  'Advanced' is being able to do the basics, despite what else is happening. 

Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any AMERICA because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!"  --- Chesty Puller, USMC

jmech

• Level 2
    • DefenseQuest
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2004, 12:06:36 PM »

The best thing about this book is that it gives you a pretty good insight into the mindset of a criminal/inmate towards combat.

The techniques demonstrated are very simplistic, and mostly llimited to stabbing techniques with little slashing, which is due to the fact that all shanks have tips, but not always sharp edges.

Anyone who has worked in Corrections will recognize the attitude in the book.  I would recommend that anyone who has not worked in Corrections and/or Law Enforcement at least read the book to get a look into the mindset of a criminal in regards to this type of combat.

Joe Mech
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

MurrayBros

• New Philadelphia, OH
  • Forum Member
  • Brian Murray
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2004, 10:20:08 PM »

The attitude I get from this book and this self exclaimed knife fighting expert, is that only folsom prison inmates can figure out how to knife fight properly.  The only useful things I read in this book were 1.) Train for real situations. and 2.) Keep in simple stupid.  I learned those both in my 6 years in the Army.  My thoughts on the book are summed up as, dont waste the money on this book and if you have a chance to read it, pass.  

Brian Murray
New Philadelphia, OH

ExJKD

• Level 1
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2004, 04:15:30 AM »

I'm just gonna throw this in;

Have someone come at you "prison-stylle with a blade on you
like that....see if ANY of the standard martial arts knife disarms
work...at all.

What saying is coming to my mind now?...."times..........up.........
...uhhh....weenie...boy?"

hehe..once you have the hand in your face it is too late.
"Your guilty conciousness may force you to vote Democratically, but deep inside your heart BEGS for a Republican to cut taxes, brutalizes criminals and rule you like a king!Thats why I did this Springfeild, to save you from yourselves!" Sideshow Bob

kamagong

• Level 3
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2004, 04:42:52 AM »

Thanks for saving me the money for this book, I almost bought it.  Just recently taught a bunch of prison guards, (130 of them) couple of things for you guys consideration:
1. Deal with some scenarios where the guy has the knife duct taped to his hand.
2. Deal with some scenarios where you have someone put dish soap or something slick on their arms.  This happens also.
A life lived without a few scars is a wasted life.

Trembula

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2004, 05:39:52 AM »

I own this book. Many years ago I found it at a book sale for either 10 cents or perhaps it was a quarter. If it had been any more, I wouldn't of bought it.

Other than the "attack drill" questionaire at the end following engaging a test target/dummy, I was not impressed.

If I recollect correctly, he deals with two main combinations (all executed from a knife to the rear stance):
1. The old "one-two" (empty hand leads, knife follows up)
2. Fake with the knife, before doing #1 above.

He also addresses grabbing the opponent and then executing multiple stabs while they are immobilized.

(daggone post is over 700 characters...)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2004, 05:43:03 AM by Trembula »

Trembula

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2004, 05:43:46 AM »

(here's the rest...)

The point about the knife taped to the hand is a very wise observation. A while back I was at a bus stop in backwoods North Carolina and found myself talking to a recently released convict who talked about doing that to make sure his "knife" was ready.

Dan

MurrayBros

• New Philadelphia, OH
  • Forum Member
  • Brian Murray
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2004, 06:35:59 AM »

This book should make alot of people realize that the bad guys are not just sitting idley by while we train our everlovin butts off to defend against them.  They are out there as I type this coming up with newer better ways to kill each and everyone of us.  Our difficult task is to try to stay atleast even with them on the kill or be killed mindset. 

Brian Murray
New Philadelphia, OH

Download