W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• March 24, 2018, 05:58:45 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: These many, many angles of attack...  (Read 2172 times)

• Administrator
  • Level 4
These many, many angles of attack...
« on: February 28, 2011, 11:04:26 AM »

Here is an interesting angle of attack trend...

You know I go to a number of differing schools each year and some are Filipino based. Each one has a stick numbering system. Sometimes 12 or more angles. Almost all are different. The same angles but ordered differently. After doing many FMA systems I had to learn all these angles too. Actually it drove me crazy. Many systems also have within themselves, numerous other angles of attack systems really compounding the problem. Angles of attack upon angles of attack upon...

In the mid-1990s I began to ask myself. Do we really need all these redundant and different angles of attack?

When I arrive in these places and teach the simple, unforgettable combat clock, I can put total, novice strangers together hitting sticks in the opening minutes of a session. Of course I use it with hand, stick and knife too. So that involves civilians, cops and soldiers. Imagine getting in front of 100 cops and making them learn Quintof's  18 angles of attack to start the day off. Bubba, that is a slow day of unhappy cops (and soldiers and citizens). Many instructors  "embedded" into their family systems do this. Only devoted, esoteric people - a demographic rarity care about Olana's numbering systems. Yesterday, they had no idea who Olana was? (Did he fight in the UFC?)

As a result of these difficulties, some of these hosts instructors have decided to use the Clock as teach and work out. It helps retention and gets folks busy.

Basically they tell me that they are stymied with beginners who cannot function in a class without knowing the Gouchy 12 angles. Class time is wasted with these people trying to get them to learn the 10, 12, 14 whatever angles systems they MUST traditionally know before the next step.

This can even run students off. You know, these angle systems are essentially katas. I find it ironic that many modern stick systems (many wanting to sound so modern and tactical, in their black tact pants etc.) make fun of katas, laugh out loud at them, then turn right around and do a 12 angle drill with footwork. Dude! Guess what! You are doing a kata with a stick in your hand.

But with the simple, basic 12, 3, 6, 9 clock (high, right, low, left) you can get them interacting within minutes. And the fun begins faster. Happy students mean happy customers.

These classical systems require, by way of name and tradition, that people learn THEIR numbering systems. Is there a rhyme or reason to these angles selections? Usually NO. For example - one popular master uses a 9 angle system only because the name of his system...has 9 letters in it. Okay! What does that mean? What?  There are 8 letters in my last name, then should I use 8 angles of attack?

Of course not. Does that mean that a tank torrent should only move 4 ways on a tank because there are four letters in the word "tank?" In a way, such is a thinking disorder. It makes zero sense. Many of these angle attack systems are constructed in this haphazard manner by people with no tactical training or knowledge in scientific efficiency or practicality. Many if these guys have no college or no high school. They just make up angles.

You can later learn the traditional angle systems for the esoteric stalwarts who wish to learn them. I understand the interest. I do. But with the Combat Clock many of these "embedded" instructors now have a quick trick for teaching and can better interact with the civilian, police and military they so much want to attach themselves to.

Anyhow, my point is that a number of these people are now also teaching and exercising through the combat clock for class work, and getting the students on board, in action right away, with the named system angle of attack required.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 05:52:21 PM by Hock »

• Level 4
Re: These many, many angles of attack...
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 09:46:22 PM »

Excellent! At one point I thought the numbering systems had everything arranged for some sort of efficiency that I just wasn't understanding.
Hock, didn't you also teach using an X and a + at one point?

• Administrator
  • Level 4
Re: These many, many angles of attack...
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 10:02:39 PM »

Basic Training
   - 12, 3, 6 and 9: the 4 clock corners (gets a whole lot done. top, right, bottom, left)
   - 10 and 2 (the classic X)
   - 14, 3, 6, 9 10, 2 (all six if wish)
     (Here's the deal, the X is intrinsically different than the four clock corners in many
      important ways and MUST be covered)

Advanced Training
    - All 12 numbers of the clock

This free outline here explains it all, how all strikes can be manifested through the simple clock.

I have seen various explanations for different angle systems. For me? I can't buy any of them compared to the simple clock. I have no agendas to fulfill, no grandmasters to make happy (and or kiss up to). But some people will be happy with some explanations for their angle of attack numbering systems. When you love the Grandmaster too much? It clouds your brain. See the 21 Feb entry here - .

« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 12:30:56 PM by Hock »