W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• April 21, 2018, 10:52:07 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Run like a deer !  (Read 4762 times)

Webby

• Level 4
Run like a deer !
« on: March 14, 2011, 06:03:29 AM »

Running for your life is an option, not discussed as often as it should be. In Italy they have female running club's that teach the ' Flight ' approach to violent situation's. I have done a runner on several occasion's. A one to one fight that brought out six of the guy's mate's come's to mind. To stay would have been crazy. I took off at a dash, they came after me. I focuses on breathing. I climbed over a wall ( straight into a giant prickly bush ! ) and then hid in a space between two cars as they ran past. Doe's anyone have any, ' Time to get out of Dodge ' stories ?

Any tips on escape tactic's that have worked or ones that haven't ?

Webby...   

TLE

• Level 3
Re: Run like a deer !
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 06:37:16 AM »

I was a great runner in my youth  used this ability to outrun a bad situation on occasion.  Unfortunatley, a few of those times was getting away from cops. I was a mischevious kid. I always felt if i had one step no one was going to catch me. What we are talking about is the old, " Nike Defense". The problem with self defense systems based on  largely on speed , power, endurance etc.. is that many people are not fast, big and strong. And even if we are, we get old, we get injured or we get wounded.  Bottom line is stay away from dangerous prople and dangerous places and work on methods that work when you can't evade or escape.

Bonz

• Level 1
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 07:08:34 AM »

This is one of the many ideas that first caught my attention with Hock's teaching: He used this in his intro both in defining "what is winning" and "who are you" i.e. what do you bring to the situation. If "winning" is defined as surviving and you can run like a deer, and that option is available, then the answer is clear - get out of Dodge! All in all, you still need to be ready for the time you can't use that option.

I have not posted much here because I'm relatively new, but I do read most every day from this forum and Hock's blog. But now I can contribute a little bit in reply to your post Webby; the last and only fight I had to run from was a while back. I busted the fifth metacarpal on my right hand (called a "brawler's fracture") by hitting this clowns head and felt I had nothing left to fight with. The guy was a golden gloves boxer and knew a thing or two so I slap away a punch, shoved him into a wall and "got out of town".

I heard later that week he wanted to "finish the fight", to which I said I would be glad to do once my hand healed - in all honesty I'm glad it never came about - I REALLY wasn't glad to fight, I was happy to have survived that one.

Of course I also use this lesson to explain to others I teach just what Hock and others of you have said here concerning a punch to the head "soft to hard and hard to soft".
"Semper Gumby" = Always Fexible

Hepcat

• Level 3
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 07:59:26 AM »

While visiting with friends in the town of Exmouth in Exeter UK, I found myself in a night club called Samantha's.  I was on of the only guys there when I arrived. Ratio of about 30 women per man, I was looking forward to the possibilities the night had in store for me.  After about an hour groups of off duty Royal Marines from the Commando training base down the road (Lympstone) started filtering in and let me know through hard looks, shoulder bumps and body language that this was their private club and I took it upon myself to flee out the back door as a group of them advanced on me.  It was dark at this time and I managed to break line of sight with them and get over a garden wall and evade them.  I am sure I would have taken a severe beating if I had not legged it.

The next day a friend of mine who was a training NCO at the base took me on a tour and I saw a few of the lads from the night before and they could not figure out who I was or how I got myself on to a restricted base and why I was with the RSM and a Colour Sgt.  My friend the Colour Sgt told me they called Samantha's the "Royal Marine dancing Academy" and they specialize in dancing on blokes heads.  Poor Intel on my part in the lead up!  I will pass the wisdom on to my son aboutthe possible dangers rooms full of painted women in distant lands can offer a young man <GRIN>...
Available for Cabinet level positions, consultation on matters of foreign policy, weddings and bar-mitzvahs. Will work for poutine.
----------------------------------------------
"I am a very disciplined student of tai chi but I am currently hooked on nitrous oxide and scotch and my practice has suffered" - Eddie Pepitone

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 08:18:34 AM »

Run like a deer is a good thing to know-I would bet that just about all have a story that fits that discription.
Heres one of mine-I was in Wonchi Hong Kong -sitting at the bar in one of the areas night clubs-two guys came in and sat next to me-the guy next to me looked at me - turned to his buddy as his hand went around a beer bottle and said something like -I dont like that guy and i am going to hit him-I just got off the stool and walked out-
simple as that -i lived to see another  day- WW

Canuk

• Level 4
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 10:37:27 AM »

I used to say that I won my last fight by three blocks. Truth be known my ego and pride dictate that I won't run, sad really

JimH

• Level 4
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 11:09:56 AM »

Like Canuk,I have NEVER run or backed away from ANY incident,and have many times stepped in to help others when standing aside or walking by would have probably been more advantageous.
Running has never been part of my mental make up.

Canuk

• Level 4
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 12:47:13 PM »

It's a bit two faced on my part, I teach my students to wait for back up, to know when to withdraw and to recognize when not to enter a situation. Absolutely a case of "do as say and not as I do"

I sometimes justify this by drawing on my 20 years experience in the game and my ability to size up a given situation pretty fast and take action. But like Jim H I don't walk away.

Add to that I'm not getting any younger and I don't see myself out running a bunch of young punks. LOL actually it was a few months ago that I chased 4 young males, they had a fifty meter head start on me and I caught them. I told they should have been embarrassed for getting caught by a guy in full gear and twice their age.

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 01:13:36 PM »

understand what you guys are saying but being stuck in a bar with 30 -40 guys you dont know and no body you know-i thought that getting out was best. What can i say ...
WW

Dawg

• Level 4
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2011, 03:11:02 PM »

WW,
You had an exit strategy and used it; good for you! I've had a couple of similar situations where I exited the area as quickly as circumstances allowed. Other times I didn't and sometimes suffered the consequences.

It's pretty much how Kenny Rogers sang it in "The Gambler":
You gotta know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em. Know when to walk away and know when to run.

Sometimes we don't know what we should've done and just have to make do with what we did. If your actions enabled you to live to fight another day, I'd say you chose well.

Just sayin'.

BTW, I quit being able to run like a deer a long time ago; so I just deal with the options I have left to me. I've gotten a lot sneakier with age. ;D
"Whether you're paranoid or not, they're coming for you."  - Dawg

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2011, 03:29:07 PM »

Dawg-appreciate the thoughts-from another angle-when I was in Kuwait i had to enter apartments where there was either dope or domestic violence-some times i was alone-
still had to enter -thats when u have to defuse the situation-or be ready to do it...
Never walked away from  those -but did still used my brain....

To continue a little-guys that just throw their shoulders back and act like "city" dont reolize that today opponent are armed---and will attack in a instant- thats why we train and train and train-unless caught like a animal-or protecting family- get away.
stay  safe- WW

Canuk

• Level 4
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2011, 04:08:38 PM »

No criticism here at all WW, sorry if it came off that way 

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2011, 04:16:46 PM »

Hey Canuk- dont even worry about that-I respect  all your posts-WW

Download