W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• July 18, 2018, 04:15:26 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cold Steel's Lynn Thompson demonstrating Tomahawk with Guro Ron Balicki @ IWA 20  (Read 7904 times)

whitewolf

• Level 4

Wicked weapon-especially in a military setting-couldn"t carry it downtown though.
WW

Kentbob

• JOAT
  • Level 4
  • Sound the horn and call the cry
    • Antrim Self-Protection

Ugh.  I can't stand watching Lynn Thompson swagger around.  He looks like he believes he invented some of this stuff.  Would much rather watch Dwight McLemore do tomahawk.

Kent
"Specialization is for insects."-Robert A. Heinlein

http://antrimmasp.blogspot.com/

whitewolf

• Level 4

Kent ill see if i can find a vidio of McLemore- thanks WW

whitewolf

• Level 4

Kent- thanks- i found the one where he demos the hanging log-good drills-appreciate the info-(i dont know much about the other guy-just was interested in the wpn-) R/S WW

Dwight McLemore

• Forum Member

The video clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOeB2yMU_q8

Whitewolf: The two individuals in the video are Andy Keyworth from Canada,and Steve Huff.  Both are highly ranked martial artists that have been friends and associates for sometime.  When we made the video I was still on the mend from the hernia surgery and could not have made it without their help. Everyone you see in that video go back with me for years.  When I cut back on the teaching stuff, I passed all my tomahawk and bowie stuff over to Steve. You can find out more about them on Facebook.  Hope this is of use.

All My Best
Dwight
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 10:23:49 AM by Hock »

whitewolf

• Level 4

Good morning Dwight- thank you for the response-i appreciate it-hope life is being good to you-I am always looking to learn more-stay  safe-Richard (WW)

Kentbob

• JOAT
  • Level 4
    • Antrim Self-Protection

Dwight,

Didn't see your reply until now.  I saw that video as well, and it looks really good.  Probably at some point during my next tour I'll get that DVD.  I already own your Fighting Tomahawk book.  I like it just for the fun of it, and for some different approaches to close quarters combat.

Kent

arnold

• the king of cool
  • Level 4
  • oh that will get you killed

Thompson is still the same BUFF that he was that Hock and I saw at the Solider of Fortune convention about 15 years ago.  It's evident that he hasn't passed up a single cheeseburger in all of that time
I leave you idiots alone for 5 minutes and I come back and you're all dancing around like a bunch of Kansas City faggots
you're all a bunch of slack jawed faggots around here, this stuff will make you a sexual tyrannosaurus, just like me!

Dwight McLemore

• Forum Member

Hey Kent. Paladin has a volume 2 out that sort of  fills  in the blanks on what was in volume 1 that that  you have.   Almost  through  with  a  Kurkuri  book now . 

My  Best

Dwight

Dwight McLemore

• Forum Member

Hey Kent. Back again, did not mean to  leave you with a shameless plug for my book but had  to eat  breakfast.  As to Lynn  Thompson, while I  can't speak to the  bluff and  cheeseburgers,  he  is  one  of the few  distributors  that makes an  attempt  to train and test all the edged weapons  he sells.  Once you  get past  that ego  (something we all have)  you will find that he honestly cares about what he is  doing  and  is smart enough to have  trained with some really good people   like Guro Baliki.  I  had a nice conversation with  him several years  back and  found him to be totally different than  the image in the videos.  I have his Natchez Bowie,  and that Navaja one he  made plus a nice carbon  fiber stick. All  are good products.....although a  bit  high in price. That  Kurkuri he has out now  is really over the top.  That is about it.  I'm glad Lynn  Thompson is out there plugging away.

Best
Dwight

Professor

• In your house drinking your coffee
  • Level 4
  • The Warlord

Dwight,

What book do you have?

What are you working on?

Honestly, list them out for folks, you have good stuff that needs to be shared:

[save this place for Dwight's plug]
  'Advanced' is being able to do the basics, despite what else is happening. 

Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any AMERICA because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!"  --- Chesty Puller, USMC

Kentbob

• JOAT
  • Level 4
    • Antrim Self-Protection

Dwight,

I appreciate the input.  I like Lynn's products, and I'm a big fan of Cold Steel in general.  It's only the image that he projects that turns me off, but I don't think the guy's a dirtbag.
I definitely appreciate you sharing your personal experience in talking to him with the rest of us, that puts a whole new light on things. 

Looking forward to your new books, I'll probably add them to my to-buy/wish list for my next tour.  As Professor said, would you mind listing them out for us?  Both current and upcoming?

Kent

chfroehlich

• Level 2

Hey Guys,

the video was taken by myself at the IWA in Germany.

He did this demo almost for us (Wolfgang Mueller, whom you can see in the video and me). He did shows all day long on several topics with Guro Ron and another guy (forgot the name).

Lynn looks a little pudgy, but he can move for sure. Space was very limited (this was the booth Cold Steel displayed all their stuff), and they triped several times over equiqment, personnel and customers.

I like his attitude to train with everything he produces. There are a lot of rumors about him; some might be true some don't. I don't care. He likes what he does and I never heard him claim to be the best fighter out there. So what??

I always found Lynn Thompson to be very nice and he's never been disresepectful to anybody I know.

Just my 2 cents.

Greets

Christof
A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.

-- Sigmund Freud, General Introduction to Psychoanalysis

Dwight McLemore

• Forum Member

Hey Professor:

Well,   since you asked.  I've been lucky  enough to have had the support  of some  really  good people and published the following books with Paladin Press:

1. Bowie & Big  Knife Fighting
  2. The Fighting  Tomahawk
  3. Advanced Bowie Techniques
  4. The Fighting Sword
  5. The Fighting Staff

Videos:
   1. Bowie & Big Knife Dueling (Lauric Press)
   2. The  Fighting Tomahawk the  Video ( Paladin Press)
   3.  Short Segiment in Pete Kautz's & Jim  Keating's  Modern Knives Video

Right now I  am about 1/2 finished with a book on the Kurkuri( Kurki) that Paladin is interested in and  has right of  first  refusal.

Just so everyone will know,  the first Bowie book and  the video I did  with  Hoch,  put a lot of focus on the one-on-one, squared off scenario which may or may not be of value to everyone.  The history on  Bowie himself was  off because like my  generation  we believed all the  folklore and myths that had been created. Oh  well, it is all we had  at  the time..  I've corrected a lot of that now. When  taken  in  total,  I suppose all my stuff tends to wax into being 'martial art' although a lot of it is useful mainly  because I barrowed a lot from  Hoch, Janish, Worden,Keating, Simonet and the list goes on and on.   While  I can  still defend myself reasonably well, I don't put myself in the same category  as  these great teachers.   I  just have put their work in  a different  visual category.  All  my  stuff  mixes  a lot of history and old techniques that run all the way back to the 16th century and ancient times.  In  the new kurkuri book, I've  did quite a bit of  exploration of the old sagas from Indian Martial arts,  really interesting stuff and better drawings.  While  I get nice royalities half of it goes to the IRS so we don't realize much profit,  other than  the personal satisfaction of doing it. The editor of Blade magazine said  I had  waxed  esoteric.  Another critic accused me of  stealing  eskirma tactics, well my answer was :  " What's  your Point?"
 I  was working on a Gladiator book but got so much  crap from the historians, that I gave it all to Steve Huff and Kyle Rowling (in the Spartacus movie) to use as they saw fit.  I have unifinished manuscripts on the Navaja,D-Guard Bowie, Kujong,  and the military knife.

That's about it, sorry to ramble.....hope this is of help.

All  My Best
Dwight

Download