W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• July 18, 2018, 04:41:40 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Question of type training  (Read 5142 times)

whitewolf

• Level 4
Question of type training
« on: April 03, 2011, 05:17:05 PM »

I have met a instructor of another school who has stated that all new students will learn
the basics of his style-the style is very hard and there are injuries occuring-even the older out of shape students have to participate- He says that they have to do it that way because thats the way it is in the street-I personally feel that if a student is weaker,older or other disability that the trainin should be a  little more tailored to them.
this will keep them in the school-build them up slowly and hopefully they will learn techiniques that will protect them selves-looking for some thoughts here -pro and con-
I have talked to former students that dropped not because of the physical but the abusive  talking most all the time to someone who does not do "it" right-
looking for some thoughts prom and con- thanks  WW

rutleddc

• Level 3
Re: Question of type training
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 05:25:33 PM »

This approach makes little sense to me as an engineer. It's like saying "I start all of my students out with differential calculus and flexible-body dynamics, because that is what they will use when on the job." You need to work up to some things 8)
"Ruttles"
David Rutledge

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 06:39:12 PM »

rut-thank u- WW

noload

• Level 4
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 06:47:14 PM »

What does he have them do? I believe enough pressure has to be applied to the student to keep them moving forward but not so much that they can't continue training.

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 09:29:19 PM »

Noload- here are a couple things;female with asma(spellling?) is pushed and when starts to have breathng  problems is made to continue- (I was there and stopped it)
Male senior studenrt with wrist injury still has to punch-there a are others but that gives u a idea-
instructor really believes in keep on going-not a smart idea .........IMHO  WW

gematriot

• Level 4
    • Systema training adapted to YOUR contemporary needs and goals
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 06:00:39 AM »

Sounds like an arsehole on a power-trip? Shouldnīt be teaching anything, especially martial arts, since he canīt control his own aggression.
"Any experiment of interest in life will be carried out at your own expense. Mark it well. "

TLE

• Level 3
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 06:20:25 AM »

WW- does this guy attract and keep students? Is his instructing his livelyhood?

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 07:34:09 AM »

No he is on special grant for school  and goal is to be in law enforcement-he is dedicated to training- but -------as said has a  lot to learn-(he is a vet of Afgan conflict)
WW

sgtmac_46

• Forum Member
    • Paladin Tactical Group
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2011, 10:24:47 AM »

I have some limited experience with training police K9's....the key with bite work has always been to ride a very thin fine line.....push the dog hard enough to appropriately develop his aggressive potential.....but push the dog too hard too soon and you ruin the dog. 

Now, if you're simply trying to find super-dog, you push every dog that hard.....if you can afford to discard dog after dog until you find the one you want, fair enough.  But if you are trying to develop all the dogs you train to their individual full potential, you have to have a good eye for what their limits are, and take them to, but not ever, those limits.....that's the sign of a good trainer and helper.

Sounds like this guy is looking for super-fighter....and doesn't care about anyone who isn't.
"No friend ever served me, or enemy ever wronged me, that I have not repaid in full." -Lucius Cornelius Sulla Felix

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2011, 01:02:58 PM »

SgtMac-46- good anology in fact excellent-i am glad that others think like i do about this.
If this subject comes up when i see him ill tell him what was mentioned -hopefully he will see the light-if not  then hope no one gets hurt.....WW

grlaun

• Rawhide
  • Level 4
  • Jeff 'Rawhide' Laun
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2011, 04:35:54 PM »

IMHO, he's an idiot.  Joe Hubbard says it best:"You can't learn to swim in a tsunami."  You train people UP to deal with reality - you can't start with it.  You slowly introduce more and more reality into the training.  I'm with gematriot: he's an arse.  He doesn't know how to bring people to that level - he can only start them there.

just my 2 cents
Cheat in Beginning - Cheat in the Middle - Cheat in the End
Official Evil Ninja - 2008
Texas Peace Officer 8/2009
"You're making the wrong assumption that a Marine by himself is outnumbered"
Gen Peter Pace, 28Jul06
"You tell that muthaf**ka, he owes me money!"

noload

• Level 4
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2011, 05:28:08 PM »

Just wondering WW, what is his style?

My friend is former SF and one of his main functions was training all sorts of people to do all sorts of things. I've watched him train tough guys, who usually get knocked down a few pegs, I've helped him train guys who were wimps, black belts and also women of various abilities and temperaments. I can't remember injuries ever being part of the training mix. Injuries from accidents yes, but from the training? Never. I don't get these hard types that don't understand the first thing about training the average person.

Now since WW brought up his vet status is he using that as a credential?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 05:31:07 PM by noload »

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2011, 09:03:29 PM »

Noload-i looked  at the responses and they make sense-i found out what i needed so ill just go from there and see if i can talk to this guy and calm him down-I figure helping out is best way to go-thanks all for responses- R/S WW

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2011, 11:42:48 AM »

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2011, 08:48:22 PM »

To finish  this particular thread -I saw the instructor and he actually was pretty careful today with the students- he had helmets put on- checked for problems -maybe someone else said something or he got the message when i helped a student last week-in any event glad its better and more professional-thanks all for the responses- WW

Download