W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• September 21, 2018, 10:03:22 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tae Kwon Do not needing the knife!  (Read 4329 times)

mleone

Tae Kwon Do not needing the knife!
« on: June 02, 2005, 10:49:17 AM »

I had an interesting discussion with a Martial artist I had met recently.
We were talking about the knife. His feelings were that his students had no need for knife defense.

That he  teaches his students to give his/ her wallets and if needed kick the knife out of their hand and to Run.
Im all for running first of course thats what most peolple should do first.

How ever if there is no place to run? His response was Knife usage is all for show and marketing. That it would get his students killed and he is cultivating a violent mindset with his student. That he would be sending his students to his/her grave if he taught them anything in regards to the blade.
Whats every one take on this?  The question is do you think blade usage in the classroom is cultivating a violent mindset?

This is just food for thougt for me. How ever Im not chewing on it.
 I took what he said with a grain of salt.
The second part of the conversation was that ground fighting was useless to him.

I would love to hear what comments fly in regards to this!
Lets hear some opinions! This post is mostly for a pool of opinions!

:)

misshinryu

• Level 3
  • Bone, Mass, Density
Re: Tae Kwon Do not needing the knife!
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2005, 11:58:50 AM »

Please!!! I wish to gag, now :P
This person does not live in the real world and I feel for his students. :'(
Mike Steele
Mercy Triumphs Over Judgement

seanross

• Level 3
    • Sean's Home Page
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2005, 12:05:29 PM »

I never like having only one option.  If I am taught only to run, then I run.  Was running an option for the McCartney's when the knife weilding attacker broke into their home?  What if a woman finds herself in the car with a knife weilder.  Can she run while strapped into a seat belt with the door closed.  Doesn't she have to defend herself first to get the chance to run?  If a guy with a knife attacks me, should I run and leave my wife and kid behind?  Is kicking the knife my only option?  What if he is in reverse grip and a kick would plunk his knife into the top of my foot?   Excuse me Mr. Tae Kwon Do, could I please have permission to whack the guy with a chair and then run?

Really, Tae Kwon Do, as taught in America is a contact sport, not a martial art or self defense.  I wouldn't expect an entrenched TKD only practitioner to have any practical ideas about self defense.
"Do not imitate the ancient masters.  Seek what they sought!"

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2005, 12:30:16 PM »

That kind of talk makes me...well..go to this website and simple click on the picture. You'll see...

http://members.cox.net/ladysarakat/piggy.swf

Hock

mleone

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2005, 12:38:26 PM »

Hock that was awesome!
I so wanted to smack some sense into this guy!
Im glad I didnt lol
I just went on my merry way and ignored him.

misshinryu

• Level 3
  • Bone, Mass, Density
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2005, 01:53:23 PM »

I never like having only one option. If I am taught only to run, then I run. Was running an option for the McCartney's when the knife weilding attacker broke into their home? What if a woman finds herself in the car with a knife weilder. Can she run while strapped into a seat belt with the door closed. Doesn't she have to defend herself first to get the chance to run? If a guy with a knife attacks me, should I run and leave my wife and kid behind? Is kicking the knife my only option? What if he is in reverse grip and a kick would plunk his knife into the top of my foot? Excuse me Mr. Tae Kwon Do, could I please have permission to whack the guy with a chair and then run?

Really, Tae Kwon Do, as taught in America is a contact sport, not a martial art or self defense. I wouldn't expect an entrenched TKD only practitioner to have any practical ideas about self defense.

it was George Harrison
Mike Steele
Mercy Triumphs Over Judgement

Bri Thai

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2005, 10:38:48 AM »

I know he got it wrong, but let it be, let it be...... ;D

People can be so self delusional.  Like not preparing for groundfighting because "we don't go to the ground" etc.  Leave them to it.  They will only move on when they are read.

gumbey

• Level 3
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2005, 10:43:33 AM »

If I had an instructor with that kind of self-delusional/unrealistic thinking altogether, I'd go find another instructor and another program.

Professor

• In your house drinking your coffee
  • Level 4
  • The Warlord
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2005, 11:55:59 AM »

If I had an instructor with that kind of self-delusional/unrealistic thinking altogether, I'd go find another instructor and another program.

A student has to first realize that it is self-delusional/unrealistic thinking altogether....sometimes it's too late.   :-\
  'Advanced' is being able to do the basics, despite what else is happening. 

Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any AMERICA because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!"  --- Chesty Puller, USMC

tlouis

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2005, 02:18:26 PM »

Quite a bit here. First off, I agree with the idea of giving up property if thats what an assailant wants. That's a no- brainer, in my opinion. But what if he/she wants more? However, in my opinion, too much is made of the running option for a variety of reasons. What if you are old or injured or just not nimble? What if there is nowhere ot run? Is introducing knife tactics too violent for the dojang? Probably for most people. Look at all the millions of kids participating in MA, whose parents would be horrified if it were boxing. Why? Because most, I believe, would say boxing is too brutal and violent and soemone might get hurt. Thats why avoidance and awareness is the key to personal safety. Most of us don't want any part of real, unbridled violent mayhem, no matter how much we play at it in the dojo.

monkeyboy

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2005, 11:25:44 PM »

Most muggings I know of where knives were used did not allow for a turn and run.  Not without getting stabbed a whole lot before getting a few steps.

Crappy.  Silly. Irritating.

arnold

• the king of cool
  • Level 4
  • oh that will get you killed
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2005, 04:05:54 PM »

I agree with tlouis to an extent, but at what point does one stop avoiding everything, and go out in the realworld. This doesn't mean take a walk through hells kitchen, but when does it end, just to be safe and secure?
I leave you idiots alone for 5 minutes and I come back and you're all dancing around like a bunch of Kansas City faggots
you're all a bunch of slack jawed faggots around here, this stuff will make you a sexual tyrannosaurus, just like me!

Naso Karas

• Level 1
  • Μολὠν Λαβἐ!
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2005, 06:32:22 PM »

I'd pay big bucks to anyone who can kick a knife out of an attacker's hand without getting cut! ;D

Ground fighting is essential in any street survival system as are knife/counter-knife tactics.  Anyone who believes otherwise is living in LaLa-Land.  Hope the weather's good there...
Strength & Honor,

Naso Karas
American Freestyle Combatives
Scientific Fighting Congress

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum.

pmh1nic

• Forum Member
    • Brentwood Self-Defense Academy
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2005, 09:49:55 PM »

My right knee is shot so running is not an option :).

As far as teaching knife or any other weapon the demeanor of the instructor will go a long way in determining whether what is taught will "culativate a violent mindset". I don't buy the argument weapons training in and of itself is going to turn your students into macho martial arts thugs.

tlouis

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2005, 07:30:28 AM »

I agree with tlouis to an extent, but at what point does one stop avoiding everything, and go out in the realworld. This doesn't mean take a walk through hells kitchen, but when does it end, just to be safe and secure?

Good point. I don't really know. In my case, I don't hang out in dangerous places or with dangerous people. I used too in my younger days. But thats my lifestyle. I do know that, and i hope this doesn't sound too scary, i had to go to some dark places in my own mind and training to get to the point i believe i could hurt someone real bad, if needed. I just don't think most people , even those who study the arts, really want to go there. And thats cool. They are probably better off for it. But you bring up a great point.

arnold

• the king of cool
  • Level 4
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2005, 01:33:13 PM »

I've seen the professor kick a knife out of an opponents hand during a competition, don't be fooled by the college demeanor!
I leave you idiots alone for 5 minutes and I come back and you're all dancing around like a bunch of Kansas City faggots
you're all a bunch of slack jawed faggots around here, this stuff will make you a sexual tyrannosaurus, just like me!

arnold

• the king of cool
  • Level 4
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2005, 02:21:51 PM »

I always train in a dark place, that way no one can see me!

Download