W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• January 16, 2018, 07:21:24 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: some great judo movements  (Read 3981 times)

whitewolf

• Level 4
some great judo movements
« on: April 27, 2011, 04:34:21 PM »

thought you guys that are into judo work would like these-some hard to see how technique was put on but good to watch-WW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNILnc6DRPg&feature=related

Keith Miller

• Level 4
  • "Shut the F@*k Up, Donnie!"
    • MMA Fitness Online
Re: some great judo movements
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 05:48:25 PM »

You do realize that Judo is fake like Pro Wrestling? All the matches are pre-determined.

Don't tell me you didn't know that?

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 06:30:26 PM »

Miller-i assume this statement is a joke..........
Here are a few names-google them to see how great they were on the mat.
Anton Geesink-Nethelands
George Kerr-UK
Hidehiko Yoshika-(a mma fighter)
Gene Labell-USA
Jason Norris-Olympic coach
Ron Tripp-USA
I did not list the many far eastern/European judo players.

WW

Keith Miller

• Level 4
  • "Shut the F@*k Up, Donnie!"
    • MMA Fitness Online
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 07:16:33 PM »

Goggles? Why would I need Goggles?

Gurnard

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 07:42:40 PM »

Holy smokes!  Good find.

If that's the same guy at 1:40 and 2:44...whoa.  Clearly it is fake  ;) but he's quick.

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 08:47:09 PM »

gurnard-yea-there are a  lot of fast players in it- i like searching for vidios in spare time-some good -some not so good i guess-there is a hell of a  lot out there though-WW

Webby

• Level 4
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 05:11:45 AM »

That guy at 1.12 wasn't faking he was out like a light. 

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2011, 06:41:41 AM »

I forget how long ago-on the forum there was posts on how different chokes effect the victim and how long some are put on before person passes out-also we talked about how some police departments have banned chokes-i do remember in hawaii they banned chokes due to police having to stop a big somoan who kept on fighting outside a bar and the police were called and responded -choke waqs put on and held-result -death.
I show the rear naked choke to students-for times they may be behind the attacker and possibly go to ground and that opportunity presents itself-i show also  how to strike the adams apple first withthumb side of bladed hand and snap the head forward with other hand  as they go into technigue(remember its life or death here for the vcitim)- R/S -WW

Kentbob

• JOAT
  • Level 4
  • Sound the horn and call the cry
    • Antrim Self-Protection
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2011, 10:06:04 AM »

Sweet clip.  I was doing judo with a guy, but he rarely let us grapple like you see in this video.  It's cool to be reminded of how dynamic Judo is.

Kent
"Specialization is for insects."-Robert A. Heinlein

http://antrimmasp.blogspot.com/

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2011, 01:20:56 PM »

Thinking about the past-I also remember having a book that mentioned the Japanese police training to go through crowds doing leg sweeps-cant rememeber where i saw it.
Wonder if any law enforcement agencies do that type training today- i dont see anything about it.
The strikes that are combigned first with judo techniques can be pretty devistating-
Like the idea of gound training as shown in the vidio. One has to practise the entries
into the throws with a partner-I just show the clips so we can see whats out there.
If i find some more on judo that appears ok ill post it- R/S WW

jmech

• Level 2
    • DefenseQuest
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2011, 09:57:50 AM »

Unfortunately, over the last couple of years, the rules of competition judo have changed to emphasize more of the throwing that the ground work, in an effort to make the competitions more "spectator friendly".  As a result, many judo instructors spend more time on working throws than ground work, some even making their main ground strategy to "stall" until the referee stands them back up, as the new rules only allow (i think) 10 seconds of no progress to be stood back up.

I was lucky when I first started in judo, to have an instructor who made every class 50% throwing 50% groundwork. I have trained with some since that barely taught it, which I think is sad, as it keeps at least half of the art from students who may like it.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2011, 01:37:25 PM »

Jmech-it coul be possible that the newer instructors are not even competent enough to teach the ground aspect-i was told by a BJJ instructor once that good way is to take
Judo and also mix in  the BJJ part during the week-made sense to me-R/S WW

Webby

• Level 4
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2011, 05:06:07 AM »

WW,
       For BJJ vs Judo as a MMA fight scan the old You Tube for Renzo Gracie vs Ben Spikers. I think it was called World Combat Championship. No love lost, watch Gracie's foot work right at the end of the fight.

Webby... 

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2011, 09:27:40 AM »

Web- ok -will check it out-WW

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2011, 09:46:29 AM »

Web- could not finmd the exact one u mentioned but i did find one where they faught and Gracie used some good leg defenses to do reversals-what i was thnking was that combinging the two-judo and BJJ makes a more formadable fighter-then to add muay tai
to it gives one a hell of a foundation to carry with you- to add to ths discution  -i notice that close quarter instructors  for the most part use a little of everything and mix it in like vegtable soup-sense i have really been reviewing you tube for interesting cqc techiniques -you could name many different programs -CQC XYZ- its all the same-one intructor  uses the term="Hammer Him"-that sounds good to me-WW

jmech

• Level 2
    • DefenseQuest
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2011, 05:36:01 PM »

WW- yes, i believe there are some judo instructors out there who probably aren't qualified to teach much ground work.  As for mixing BJJ and judo (which I have trained in both) I think its a great idea.  Although the two arts share many of the same techniques (leg locks not allowed in judo, judo uses more pinning techniques than bjj), its more of a difference in training and strategy.  bjj spends significantly more time on the ground and focuses more on submissions and escapes than judo does, which I think is due to the whole "stalling" issue that is present in judo and not bjj.

Also, here is that video Webby referenced:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_F0TvI0m6Gw
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2011, 06:22:30 PM »

Jmech-thanks-saw the vidio- saw the kick after the opponet had tapped out-
agree as you also pointed out-one has to know standup and ground-add in the street ddirty fighting tactics for the street=appreciate te find. WW

Download