W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• July 17, 2018, 05:11:35 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Who certifies CCW instructors?  (Read 3905 times)

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
Who certifies CCW instructors?
« on: May 20, 2011, 03:13:40 PM »

Chuck Burnett has answered the question, who certifies CCW instructors...

I just jumped through Clark County, Nevada's hoops after teaching CCW in Nye County for years.

Answers based on my experience:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #5MK1 View Post
Who certifies CCW instructors?
CCW courses are approved by County Sheriffs. A list of approved courses is distributed to Sheriffs state wide.
The Nevada Sheriffs and Chiefs Association sets the standards.
From their guidelines:

"Potential instructors will be considered on their individual merits. In order to be considered as an instructor, the individual must submit the following to his/her local sheriff, for consideration.

1.Instructor certification in Firearms training. These shall be accompanied by a resume of the individuals experience.

2. An outline and lesson plan for the course which clearly meets the minimum standards adopted.

3.A business license in the City or County where the business is conducted (if applicable).

4. A copy of the certificate to be given to successful applicants upon completion of the course.

Under these guidelines, an instructor certified by any Nevada Sheriff shall be valid anywhere in the State. Acceptance or denial of an instructor application rests with the individual county sheriffs."

As to what credentials are acceptable, the handout says this:
"While the NRA provides an excellent instructor training program, there are other programs and sources of instructors are acceptable.

1. Law enforcement instructors
2. Military instructors
3. Instructors from other national firearms and shooting organization."

(The Clark County packet includes a copy (as in copy machine) of the NRA Personal Protection in the Home curriculum.
I have heard of instructors who simply submit this as their lesson plan.)

Quote:
Are CCW instructors licensed?
City or county business license as mentioned above.

Quote:
We noticed that on the paper work given by instructors, just a name of the instructor is on the paperwork, no lic. number or other ID.
Does the agency that issues CCW permits have a list of the instructors that are permited to sign people's training off? .
Yes.
This is allegedly updated periodically and distributed by some arcane means determined by the semi-mythical NSCA.

Quote:
I was also wondering what if any experience is required to become a CCW instructor, and how is experience verified.
As you can see above, it is ambiguous what is required, and I have no idea how thoroughly they check resumes.
Mine was approved in a week or so. Keep in mind I had been a Certified instructor in Nye county under Front Sights aegis.

Short version of what I sent them:

NRA Pistol and personal protection instructor certificate
NRA Law enforcement tactical handgun instructor certificate
Utah state Concealed firearms instructor certificate

A dozen or so course certificates from several different schools

Whether any or all of this was vital, I have no idea.

Quote:
Not only are the qualifying distance different. The hoops to jump through are completely different from instructor to instructor.
There is a standardized written test but there is no standard curriculum. (Reference the copy of the NRA course in the instructor application packet)
The qualification standard is six rounds from three yards, 12 rounds from five yards, and 12 rounds from seven yards. (Five, ten and ten rounds respectively for five shot revolvers)
No time limit. No mandated reloads.

This must be shot on a B27 or B21 humanoid target and the student must score 70% to pass.
"Additional training as provided for combat shooting, self defense or practical shooting is at the discretion of the instructor."
Basically, they can make the test harder but not easier.

Could someone with no teaching experience and a freshly minted NRA Pistol and Personal Protection instructorship get signed off?

I don't know.
Actually if they stayed in their lane and taught the course as written and read the applicable NV statutes to their students, it would probably be a functional course.

Could some know it all, beer can plinkin' Bubba who's had his NRA papers forever be certified even if he's teaching outdated crap mixed with phony war stories?
Even if has never read the Nevada Revised statutes cause there's no pictures?
Even if he checks sight alignment by having students point in at his eye? (Actually, that guy is in Tennessee)

Well, yes.
"The condition upon which God hath given liberty to man is eternal vigilance; which condition if he break, servitude is at once the consequence of his crime and the punishment of his guilt." - John Philpot Curran

www.INVICTUSTRAINING.COM

Chuck Burnett

• Level 1
Re: Who certifies CCW instructors?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 06:49:53 PM »

Thanks for dredging that up, Hock.

First, to paraphrase an old cliche:
Having a CCW permit doesn't make you a gun fighter any more than buying a piano makes you a musician.

The above comments about CCW instructorship apply to the Nevada CCW process, specifically in Clark County (Las Vegas).

Instructor requirements vary state by state, and sometimes even county by county, depending on whose authority permits are issued underin a given locale.

The NV class must be at least eight hours long and held in Nevada.
If an instructor candidate is relying on NRA instructor credentials for his qualification, it must be the NRA "Personal protection outside the home" instructor cert. (That's a decent curriculum, by the way.)

Utah certified instructors must be either NRA or Peace Officer Standards and Training (P.O.S.T.) certified instructors, complete a four hour UT instructor course, and hold a Utah CCW permit themselves.
The Utah course does not require live fire and the UT Dept. of Public Safety "suggests" at least a four hour course length. It can be taught in any state but only by a Utah DPS certified instructor.

Florida will generally accept any handgun safety class taught by an NRA certified instructor, even if it isn't an official NRA class.

Some states don't require any training to apply; others will issue a permit if you send them a copy of your existing home state permit.

There's also a movement towards "Constitutional carry", i.e. no permit required for concealed carry, as in Alaska, Vermont, and Arizona. (Wyoming either has or is very likely to pass this as well.)

Take a look at handgunlaw.us for a good reference for U.S. laws.

Download