Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• September 24, 2018, 08:10:25 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: UK Violent Crime Reduction Bill and possible replica ban  (Read 13073 times)

Professor

• In your house drinking your coffee
  • Level 4
  • The Warlord
Re: UK Violent Crime Reduction Bill and possible replica ban
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2006, 12:40:30 PM »

Here's the real question:

'Advanced' is being able to do the basics, despite what else is happening. 

Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any AMERICA because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!"  --- Chesty Puller, USMC

Bri Thai

« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2006, 04:31:52 PM »

Black is black, and white is white.  No matter how you try and colour either of them in.

We rarely scrape up murdered people in this country in comparison to others (i.e. yours....). 

But there are none so blind as those who will not see.  You "prove" you are safer no matter how many get killed.  Its a real art form.

Professor

• Level 4
  • The Warlord
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2006, 05:12:15 PM »

Black is black, and white is white.  No matter how you try and colour either of them in.

We rarely scrape up murdered people in this country in comparison to others (i.e. yours....). 

But there are none so blind as those who will not see.  You "prove" you are safer no matter how many get killed.  Its a real art form.

I'll carve out a section of the US the same size as the UK and make the comparison.   I'll even compare demographically similar section of the US and UK.    Let me know how you want to get apples and apples.   

Let's make the comparison.  I'm ready to see.

How do you propose to make comparisons?

Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any AMERICA because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!"  --- Chesty Puller, USMC

threegun

• Level 3
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2006, 06:01:01 PM »

He wants to compare white middle class british folks with minority welfare victims from the U.S..

threegun

• Level 3
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2006, 06:02:34 PM »

Professor, The house on the right is safer. Just like the house on my street that has a police car parked in the driveway.

Bri Thai

« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2006, 02:31:43 AM »

Actually its the pro gun people who want to compare some friendly town in Texas to an inner city suburb in Manchester.......  Like I said, I've no problem with your 2nd Ammendment, IN YOUR COUNTRY.

But it won't work in mine and, although we need to do more to deal with violent crime, our murder rates are pretty low compared to yours aren't they?

JUST HOW MANY THREADS ABOUT DEAD US COPS DOES IT TAKE?

threegun

• Level 3
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2006, 04:22:57 AM »

I think we check those cop deaths and the UK had a higher percentage per capita. You never answered the question of which house is safer Bri.

BTW, If Brits were allowed to defend themselves with handguns your country would be safer as the thugs would not be at the top of the food chain any longer.

Chris Roberts

• London, England
  • Forum Member
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2006, 06:26:10 AM »

Haven't we been here before?!

Which house is safer? Can't tell from that picture; depends on many other things. What other steps have been taken to prevent forced entry? Having a gun on the other side of that door doesn't guarantee you'll survive....  If every door has a gun behind it, does that mean all home invasions would stop? We put locks on doors, criminals learn how to force them; we reinforce the doors, criminals learn how to break them, we all carry a baseball bat for defence, criminals carry knives....  see the pattern?

I'm all for self-protection - but providing a blanket of guns throughout the country is not the answer. If the US has a lower murder rate than the UK (don't know if that's true), maybe that's more to do with respect than anything else?

I'm not suggesting we just sit and hope we don't get shot, robbed, etc. but if adding guns to the mix was the cure that so many people seem to think it is, why are you still seeing gun related crime in the US?

With all our combined intelligence, you'd think we could come up with something better than "mine's bigger than yours so that makes me safe......'"

Bri Thai

« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2006, 07:50:46 AM »

Which house is safer for who?  The people who go to the same school as some crazy kid who's got an issue with the world, or the kid who lives in the house who picks up daddies gun for a play around?

Kentbob

• JOAT
  • Level 4
  • Sound the horn and call the cry
    • Antrim Self-Protection
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2006, 09:25:47 AM »

The problem with our country and the UK is that people avoid the "hard and mean" truth. Sugar coating things to the point of losing prespective. I maintain that this has caused both countries to forgo logic in lawmaking (especially in UK).

I have to say that this is a little unfair, and perhaps a little biased, I don't know, I don't know where you live.  But, we certainly have our fair share of bleeding heart, give-everyone-a-dozen-chances, everyone-is-good-inside people in this country.  I feel fairly confident that the percentage is probably about the same, and if these people had their way, I probably would have been shooting beanbags and Nerf guns in Iraq.  I also think that avoiding the "hard and mean truth" is pretty much a facet of modern society everywhere.  I think that probably goes hand in hand with some of the "advances", and "conveniences" that we have in our modern society, as well as just plain politics and human nature.  We are moving away from the need to be plainspoken, and to call a spade a spade, because of the ease with which we live.  Anything that disrupts that easy life is automatically viewed negatively, so in order to be successful, a positive spin of some sort has to be put on just about everything, the sugar coating if you will.  I think that it was easier to be plainspoken back in the olden days, because mass media didn't have such an influence, and also, being plainspoken about things made them a bit easier to deal with and figure out. 
  I personally think the idea of banning replica weapons to reduce crime a bit foolish, and it seems like a last ditch effort.  I'm not always a big advocate of fighting fire with fire, but at certain times, that is the approach you have to take.  At least, from my point of view.  As someone already mentioned, get tough with the criminals.  Which is hard to do, because so many folks out there believe in second chances...and third...and fourth, etc.  I personally like the three strike rule, sometimes.  Not in all situations, but sometimes.  Again, I can't remember all the specifics of the rule, but I believe that after the commission of the third felony, the felon goes away for the maximum amount of jailtime, or maybe its life.  I wouldn't know where to look that up.  If I recall correctly, California has this one on the books, and I think its a happy medium of tough sentencing, and giving the guy another chance.  I also like the no duty to retreat law, which says I can shoot the guy who is attempting to break into my home, without having to try and get away first.  I think that is just plain common sense, but again, not everyone sees it that way.  You have to be in the middle of the road, when it comes to these things, not to extreme on one side or the other.  There is a time to fight fire with fire, and a time to be loving and helpful, I guess.  I don't have a lot of sympathy for the kid who got shot because of the replica firearm.  I have a little bit of sympathy for his parents, but not much more.  I am philosophically opposed to violence, because its ugly, and nasty, and rarely does anyone any good.  But, try and mug me, or break into my house, and see if I don't put my warface on, and do my best berserker impression.  And that includes anyone coming at me with an inidistinguishable replica. 

Kent
"Specialization is for insects."-Robert A. Heinlein

http://antrimmasp.blogspot.com/

Professor

• Level 4
  • The Warlord
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2006, 09:44:20 AM »

Bri Thai,

Without you making an attempt to repond to questions, a discussion is pointless.

I'm done.   

threegun

• Level 3
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2006, 11:41:51 AM »

Kentbob, Re-read the quote. I agree that both countries have this problem.

Chris Roberts,
We put locks on doors, criminals learn how to force them; we reinforce the doors, criminals learn how to break them, we all carry a baseball bat for defence, criminals carry knives....  see the pattern?

Which house is safer. Not which house is unpenetrable guys come on. A house with reinforced locks is safer than a house with no locks just as the house with the visual warning of the possible presence of a firearm in the hands of a trained homeowner is safer than a house with a gun free zone sign on it. When convicts in prison were asked what they feared the most when burglarizing a home the top two answers were an armed homeowner and dogs. That is from the horses mouth and confirms our choice of which house in the picture is safer.

Bri, Using your logic no children should be able to get to daddies gun since we have a law that says all firearms must be kept away from minors. Still irresponsible folks remain just as the criminal remains when you ban airsoft. Removal of the criminal from the street is the only way to reduce crime. Laws are broken by criminals hence the name.

ted murphy

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2006, 11:53:18 AM »

Thing is, none of this discussion revolves around the truth.  It is not the weapons, or lack thereof that makes a society violent, it is the otherhuman types out there that choose do do violence.  Ban guns, they will use knives, ban knives, they will make knives.  None of these laws will do anything to make a society safe.

People choose to make a society safe though many actions beyond a weapons ban.  They raise their children well, they can choose to make prision something feared instead of vacation time, they can choose to use the death penalty.

You can pad the world and make it as free of possible from being armed, but if you do all that without doing anything to reduce the predatory people that walk the streets, all you did was infringe on the law abiding and make it more difficult to respond to violence.

Lastly, it is physically impossible for a government no matter its size, to oppress its citizenry and take its rights away.  The citizens themselves have to consent to this.  History has often shown how an intense felling of Nationalism will often be strong enough for people to look the other way as rights and privledges are stripped away.  "My country right or wrong!" seems to often take a back seat to "Dude, where's my freedoms!".

I see this very much with this UK airsoft ban.  The UK people here seem very adamant that the law is right and just, and that the US doesn't know what they are talking about.  I cannot help but think that at the end of the day, when they are all alone with no Yanks to antagonize them, if they do not ever think to themselves how much their government has taken away from them.   And that how it is today, is  a far, far different set of privledges & rights they live under than back many years ago when the sun never set on the Empire.  

A british subject turned American Citizen once said something about those that sacrifice their freedoms for security, deserve neither and will get neither.  Something to think about in the coming years over there as less and less is permitted, and more and more gets forbidden.

Cheers,

Ted
« Last Edit: January 23, 2006, 11:55:19 AM by ted murphy »

ted murphy

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2006, 12:08:52 PM »

One last observation on this.

I've seen this at my own dojo where guys who are real hard core MA practicioners often support gun bans cause they feel they are at a level where they personally do not need guns and know their level of experience and training will see them through a fight.

I alwas thought that was hubris on their part but they are free to think as they might.

One thing to point out though.

Old age catches up with all of us.  As does accidents, wear and tear.  There may well be a day many years in the future when you'll be living somewhere and wish you had a hogleg for home  or personal defense.

Something to think about.

Bri Thai

« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2006, 12:40:05 PM »

Bri Thai,

Without you making an attempt to repond to questions, a discussion is pointless.

I'm done.   

If only you were.

And I did respond.

And the discussion is pointless, as I tried to point out.

OPne of the issues for me with the "but only the law abiding obey those laws, so they are pointless" argument is this.  If that logic applies to gun control laws, doesn't it apply to all laws?

Why have a law against theft?  Only the law abiding will obey it.  Why have a law against rape?  Murder?

Because we need laws, otherwise we have anarchy.  And then people start killing each other, and there won't be many left.......

This touches on another issue with the gun question that I find a little disturbing.  I have seen guys say that no one is going to take them thar guns of theirs, no matter what the law says.  Somehow the founding fathers had a direct line to God, and the Constituion if God given?  So anyone lawfully trying to take those guns is going to get shot.

That's pretty frightening stuff. 

Chris Roberts

• London, England
  • Forum Member
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2006, 01:22:25 PM »

When convicts in prison were asked what they feared the most when burglarizing a home the top two answers were an armed homeowner and dogs

... so if everyone had guns and dogs, would there be no more crime?

People choose to make a society safe though many actions beyond a weapons ban.  They raise their children well, they can choose to make prision something feared instead of vacation time, they can choose to use the death penalty.

And we have a winner! Isn't this what it all comes down to? If we fear the consequences enough, aren't we significantly less likely to take the risk? Problem is, how do we get there from where we are now? It's in our nature to want more than we've got - conflict has been around a long, long time - so how do we sort this out when we seem so far down a particular path?

I see this very much with this UK airsoft ban.  The UK people here seem very adamant that the law is right and just, and that the US doesn't know what they are talking about.

Don't put us all in the same box - I haven't made my mind up on this yet.

I cannot help but think that at the end of the day, when they are all alone with no Yanks to antagonize them, if they do not ever think to themselves how much their government has taken away from them.

Aside from the right to carry a gun, what privedges & rights do you have that I don't?

And that how it is today, is  a far, far different set of privledges & rights they live under than back many years ago when the sun never set on the Empire. 

History is history - it's not about then, but now and the future. You're having your turn now, but there are billion people on the other side of the globe to you who are just warming up for their turn....

Bri Thai

« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2006, 03:34:28 PM »

PS:  I have a serious question for you by the way...have you ever been over here to the States?  If not, I'm extending an invitation - seriously.  I think you'd be extremely surprised by just how un-violent here is compared to the UK.  (Sounds crazy I know but I've lived in both...trust me, the UK is worse)

I can't believe I missed this bit Nick!

Yes, I've been over to the States.  The last couple of occasions merely on holiday, but the first one I was here for three months, travelling and working.  But that was in 1985, so I guess it would not be that relevant, as both countries may have changed since then.  I can't remember feeling all that safe though.  But I did hang around in bus stations alot in big cities (waiting for buses!  Not selling my 21 year old botty!) and they're hardly the chosen hang outs of nice people (barring customers of course).

I may well come over one day mate.  I want to compare the power you generate with Mick Coup's for myself. -  ;)

Nick Hughes

• Level 4
    • Fight Survival
« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2006, 04:21:17 PM »

Yes, bus stations probably aren't the best place to get a sense of how safe somewhere is  :)

I'd better get my arse into gear then...can't have Coup beating me ;D
Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking.
--Ferdinand Foch-- at the Battle of the Marne

Bri Thai

« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2006, 04:50:03 PM »

The guy was pretty impressive Nick.  The hardest hitter I have ever personally witnessed in 25 years of lookin'.

And he's designed this great little system too.  Nope, it isn't a big martial art or anything like that.  But it looks pretty damn effective to me, and I am not too easily impressed.

threegun

• Level 3
« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2006, 04:51:03 PM »

Chris Roberts,

... so if everyone had guns and dogs, would there be no more crime?

If you aren't capable of understanding the point I was making I am truely sorry. The point was, the badguy will avoid the house with the dog and armed homeowner. I stressed that simply being armed doesn't gaurantee that an attempt will not be made. It will seriously lower your odds however, just as lighting, alarm system, ect also lower them. The only correct answer to Professor's question is the house on the right is safer (from attack) than the house on the left.

Aside from the right to carry a gun, what privedges & rights do you have that I don't?

Again the point is what can you do if they remove all your "rights" from you................answer....fire airsoft at them......that is if you don't ban them LOL.

Bri, The difference between other laws and banning guns is the constitutional protection our founders placed on guns. Our point is that laws will be broken by criminals. Knowing this fact, why ban the airsoft when the criminal will not comply with the law. Making the punishment for misuse much more severe is the only proven way to solve the problem from those who don't comply with the law AKA the criminal. You admit that laws can't prevent someone from breaking it.....that is our point. Once the law has been broken.............punish the law breaker. In the mean time we here in the United States of America (the greatest and most envied country on this planet) will protect ourselves instead of being cowering victims.

spanky

• Level 3
  • PEACE through SUPERIOR FIREPOWER
« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2006, 11:03:26 PM »

:o ;D :o

Bri Thai

« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2006, 12:23:30 AM »

Wow!  A nice poster made by someone with an agenda.  What does it prove?

By the way, who is the "greatest and most ernvied country on the planet?"  I'm all for patriotism, but seeing views like that doesn't seem, well, healthy?

Chris Roberts

• London, England
  • Forum Member
« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2006, 12:40:31 AM »

In the mean time we here in the United States of America (the greatest and most envied country on this planet) will protect ourselves instead of being cowering victims.

Listen carefully and understand me.....  UK citizens have been called a lot of things over the years, but 'cowering victims' is way, way off the mark. I suggest you take another look.

Your one sentance has reminded me why I rarely get involved in these discussions - ultimately, it always comes back to 'we are the greatest, everyone do it our way'. You do have a great country, but the way you run it isn't necessarily guaranteed to work everywhere else. We are different.

I'm out, have fun.

threegun

• Level 3
« Reply #53 on: January 24, 2006, 05:38:47 AM »

Relax fellas, I was just ruffling your feathers. Besides you guys live in the secong greatest nation on the planet. As soon as your thinking shifts back to being accountable for your actions and punishing the evil doers not everyone else, it will be even better over there.

Listen carefully and understand me.....  UK citizens have been called a lot of things over the years, but 'cowering victims' is way, way off the mark. I suggest you take another look.

What are you going to do Chris when a badguy armed with a gun demands your goods? I don't care how much hand to hand expierience you have, or how many seminars you have attended, a coward with a gun is superior at that moment as he can kill you at a distance further than your hands and feet can reach. When I made this statement, I was referring to the inability of brits to fend off a gun attack. I stand by it now as all you can do against an gun armed attacker is cower to them or get shot. I know you think it will never happen to you. You might even think that if it does your 27 years of kung-fu will safe your behind. Let me just give a shot of reality. Against an armed (gun) attacker you will probably die if they choose to kill you. I don't like to be at anyones mercy. You will be at their mercy, that is a fact. Here in this country, I choose to carry a gun to give myself the means to stop this threat without being a victim. I feel sorry that you and your country have chosen a path that has proven not only a failure but an increaser of criminal misuse of firearms. Your own stats are proving this fact as ours have for decades. I love you guys. Your country is the only one that stands beside ours unlike France and germany. The approach you use in trying to solve problems is no good however and you are to arrogant to see how silly it was when it failed down here.

On the issue of guns and the negative affects of banning them, we are right. The facts from your country and ours prove this. The only thing that works is punishment...............besides better upbringing and such.

Chris Roberts

• London, England
  • Forum Member
« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2006, 06:39:44 AM »

I don't care how much hand to hand expierience you have, or how many seminars you have attended, a coward with a gun is superior at that moment as he can kill you at a distance further than your hands and feet can reach.

No argument from me there.... and I'd never be so arrogant to think any different.

I know you think it will never happen to you. You might even think that if it does your 27 years of kung-fu will safe your behind.

If I thought that, I wouldn't have invested so many years training - it could happen to me on my way home tonight and I'm under no illusions about my mortality.

At this time in the UK I've got more chance of being in a serious car accident than being shot. I have taken reasonable steps to protect myself, just as I do when I drive.

I have to admit that I like the idea of a gun at home, just in case the alarm goes off and I need protect my family. But I'm not helpless without one.

And having a gun strapped to your belt doesn't make any difference if the bad guy is already pointing his at you - unless you can get your gun out before he can apply enough pressure to that trigger.... maybe it's you who is under false illusions about your training?

Are we talking cross purposes here? I agree that guns give an advantage to those with them, but if everyone has them that advantage is gone, so criminals will seek another advantage and so on. The US crime rate may be lower than the UK (still waiting for that statistical comparison!) but I'm convinced that adding guns into the UK criminal scene will make things worse, not better. We're not starting from the same point you did when you all picked up a gun. All I'm saying is let's concentrate first on making the punishments harder - if that doesn't work, well, I guess I'll pick up a gun and take my chances (with the sight the correct way round, of course)....

Bri Thai

« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2006, 07:54:10 AM »

What are you going to do Chris when a badguy armed with a gun demands your goods?

Throw out a stun grenade, roll over whilst simultaneojusly drawing two pistols, then keep rolling over whilst I put 6 rounds from each in a tight circle between his eyes.  Obviously.

But, thanksfully, we don't have many bad guys like that.

Nick Hughes

• Level 4
    • Fight Survival
« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2006, 10:12:53 AM »

Besides you guys live in the secong greatest nation on the planet

That would be Australia mate...

Your country is the only one that stands beside ours unlike France and germany

Ur...no, that would be Australia again :)  Not only have we been in everything the Brits have been in with the exception of the Falklands (and we had some Aussie SAS guys in that anyway) but we've also been in everything you Yanks have been in such as WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam, Iraq (both times), Afghanistan et al.

If you don't give credit where credit is due we're going to stop coming and showing you how it's done. ;D
« Last Edit: January 24, 2006, 10:20:27 AM by Ninor »
Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking.

threegun

• Level 3
« Reply #57 on: January 24, 2006, 11:11:27 AM »

Where to start?

Bri, I thought you guys would poop your pants and faint LOL (that was a joke guys). You guys don't have many bad guys yet however the trend is going up.

Chris, Admittedly my choice to carry a gun doesn't mean that I won't or can't become a victim as well. It just gives me the ability to fight on equal terms with even the most deadly of adversary. I still must maintain the awareness to prevent or prepare for that surprise attack. Heck if you allow someone to sucker punch you, all the training is down the drain.

I have to admit that I like the idea of a gun at home, just in case the alarm goes off and I need protect my family. But I'm not helpless without one

You are helpless Chris, thats my point. If someone entered your home armed with a firearm intent on killing you and your family, you are helpless. Your odds of survival are slim and none. Your odds of survival increase tremendously if you are armed also.

I agree that guns give an advantage to those with them, but if everyone has them that advantage is gone, so criminals will seek another advantage and so on.

It is so crazy how we agree yet we argue so. Your gun ban has done nothing but give advantage to the criminal as we have argued and which you seem to agree. So why ban them? See how we have come to the conclusion that your countries thinking is off?

All I'm saying is let's concentrate first on making the punishments harder - if that doesn't work, well, I guess I'll pick up a gun and take my chances (with the sight the correct way round, of course)....

But you banned guns first....again that is our point. You are 100 percent correct, getting tough is the way to go. Problem is now you can't pick up that gun without becoming a criminal. You are again at their mercy and that stinks.

NINOR, I'm terribly sorry for leaving you guys out, my bad. the land down under. My favorite restuarant is the outback steakhouse. I don't know about showing us how its done now........everybody knows that the United States Soldier is the best fighting machine on the planet. Rumor has it that it takes 3 brits and 4 aussies to equal one American soldier LOL ;D. Again I'm sorry for forgeting such a valuable ally.

Nick Hughes

• Level 4
    • Fight Survival
« Reply #58 on: January 24, 2006, 07:01:09 PM »

I guess that's why it took 28,000 of you to go to Panama to catch one acne scarred tin-pot dictator then?  Even then you ended up using rock music to get him out of his hiding spot.  Perhaps one DJ is then worth 28,000 US troops :)

Mate, seriously, one day you'll have to talk to my ex-Ranger mate who's now in the USSS.  They played some war games with the Aussies wearing mills gear - though outnumbered ten to one the Aussies slaughtered everyone of them and only lost two of their own.

In a memoir by a former VC he said the Australians were the most feared enemy in Vietnam due to their discipline under fire and their refusal to fire a round unless they could see the enemie's nostrils.  If memory serves it was after the battle of Long Tan when 2500 VC attacked an Australian base and got mauled doing so...again, outnumbered 20 to one they only lost eighteen men (60,000 Aussies went to Vietnam in total and we only lost 480 troops)

You really must get out more ;D

N

Bri Thai

« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2006, 07:36:46 PM »

This may set the cat amongst the pidgeons, but the tonme has been set by the Americans......

An old mate of mine was inb the Royal Marine Commandos.  They were doing a "war games" type exercvise with the US Marines.  All was going well until nightfall.  As the UK guys were implementing a plan to take the "enemy" base, the US guys were having a Country and Western sing song around the fire........

Guess who won? - Yeeeeeee! HAAAaaaaa!

;D
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Download