W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• December 12, 2018, 04:48:38 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Discussion on Piper system  (Read 3477 times)

whitewolf

• Level 4
Discussion on Piper system
« on: May 25, 2011, 01:49:36 PM »

know we have mentioned the Piper system before but I thought the discussion  here was interesting so i put it up-I have never seen it taught so I cannot give any comment except to say that it appears that when used with the wrist and wpn held as he shows it would be hard to catch the weapon hand-????comments- WW
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eCWn05X3Gc&NR=1

Kentbob

• JOAT
  • Level 4
  • Sound the horn and call the cry
    • Antrim Self-Protection
Re: Discussion on Piper system
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 03:41:06 PM »

I believe we have discussed the Piper system.  I believe we decided it was a load of bollocks.

Kent
"Specialization is for insects."-Robert A. Heinlein

http://antrimmasp.blogspot.com/

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 03:53:13 PM »

My question is-can one stop effectively the attacker who is moving his wrist with a knife in it as this  shown -i dont care if it is bullshit or  not-can one stop it?????

For example-you pass by a homeless guy-you have envaded his space-he takes out a
kitchen knife and advances-wrist is moving as shown or similarly-as he starts to cut he continues to chop at you-will your 2 times a week self defense against a knife given by a
instructor who says to you- this will work-work??

This is why we need to review discuss and practise against various ways - because--some one out
there who is training to kill you-might just try.
WW

Kentbob

• JOAT
  • Level 4
  • Sound the horn and call the cry
    • Antrim Self-Protection
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 04:02:27 PM »

Well alright then.

I practice by looking for something around me to hit them with first.  We also discussed this in another thread.  I think a better use of my time is to take stock of where I am and assess what I can use as an improvised weapon in order to beat the tar out of someone.  At 240 pounds, when I hit someone with a chair, even a 20th level Sohon Ninja grandmaster is going to lose a lot of his ability to fight.  Same goes for a textbook, a backpack, or my water bottle. 

What I don't do is try to figure out how to defeat each style of attack.  Instead, I know that I can pick my moments and hit someone in the head really hard with a dense, blunt instrument.  If you teach your students to do the same, you will probably increase their chance of success.

Kent
"Specialization is for insects."-Robert A. Heinlein

http://antrimmasp.blogspot.com/

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 04:36:36 PM »

Kentbob-that makes sense to me-I would imagine that at 240 lbs your size would in all probablility scare off a  majority of attackers before they decided to come at you

As we have mentioned sometime before (i think)-what i am taking about is the
Insane person- the one who looks at a person but does not see the size but just sees a
enemy-and just comes at you or on the flip side defends against your attack.

In either case I think that size would not matter to them-they just step accross the
line of violence and just keep comming.. I have witnessed little guys just get right up in the face of a person twice their size-as said in many places its not the size of the dog its the fight in him that counts..Now put a knife in his hands as shown and their is trouble.

Your thoughts on use of a expedient weapon are right on the money as far as i am concerned also. WW

Download