W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• October 19, 2018, 05:35:45 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The Disarm Distraction Continuum  (Read 4408 times)

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
The Disarm Distraction Continuum
« on: May 25, 2011, 02:27:48 PM »

The Disarm Distraction Continuum
See the 27 May entry
http://www.hockscqc.com/blogs/05-11/index.htm

Hock

noload

• Level 4
Re: The Disarm Distraction Continuum
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 03:19:05 PM »

Excellent!

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 06:59:15 PM »

Hock- ok- just checking-knowing you got secret stuff to always pass on-
use of the clock in about everything i teach now
As I am doing some review now in BJJ i will see how the clock relates to movements on the ground when against someone in very close movements-for example got trapped in arm bar other night-will go next time have the arm bar position set and see how clock relates-(just trying to see how clock relates to get free)- WW

grlaun

• Rawhide
  • Level 4
  • Jeff 'Rawhide' Laun
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 08:45:59 PM »

Brilliant.  I wish that type of stuff had been taught to me decades ago.  The simplicity of it pisses me off... Thats the problem with lack of experience MA instructors or those who adhere to tradition - no reality in the mix. Keep bringing the truth.
Cheat in Beginning - Cheat in the Middle - Cheat in the End
Official Evil Ninja - 2008
Texas Peace Officer 8/2009
"You're making the wrong assumption that a Marine by himself is outnumbered"
Gen Peter Pace, 28Jul06
"You tell that muthaf**ka, he owes me money!"

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 10:00:22 PM »

Grlaun-agree traditional is not the way to go all the time-actually teaching the clock method is great for showing first timers a technique-if i say arm goes to left I say go to 9 oclock or similar movement-they understand immediately-WW

sarguy

• Level 4
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 12:42:08 AM »

Yet another great blog from Hock. I've always wondered about thi-OOH! SHINY OBJECT!!!

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 12:04:15 PM »

Or as Chuck burnett would say..."look! Squirrel!"

Hock

ShooterMMA

• Level 1
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2011, 05:10:43 AM »

Real good article!

Distraction is must do in pistol scenario. Also verbal distraction can be done.
In pistol situation could be one solution for as many problems (cut the thinking process)

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2011, 08:45:08 PM »

In regard to the thinking process i mentioned this before but ill put it out again.
When faced with a gun you are not trying to beat the trigger pull you are attempting to
beat the thought process of firing the weapon.In addition repeated practise is needed to have the "Victim" face the weapon-take the weapon-put the weapon on the ground-and repeat the movement=adding tap rack assess the area=
I reoloize that various comments concerning these type drill will occur but these drills wil
help the student gain confidence which is paramount to possibly saving them selves/
Read Hocks distraction again-very important info.. WW

noload

• Level 4
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2011, 02:08:45 PM »

I'll be the jackass and say I have to disagree WW, I believe you are trying to beat both the reaction time and the trigger pull.
We've used a Sig with a trigger pull of DA 12 lbs. and SA 4.5 lbs for our training. I think I had about 55% success rate at closing about 3 feet and accomplishing a control technique while the handgun was in DA and maybe 1% success when it was in SA, which shocked the hell out of me. At least for me the difference between a 12 lb. pull and a 4.5 lb pull was big when it came to distance and the time between him (being highly trained) reacting and having the hammer come down. But that could just be me.

One other thing, you have as part of the drill "put the weapon on the ground", and I have to ask your reasons for doing so? If you've felt the person was enough of a threat to attempt a disarm, which are dangerous, why would you put the weapon on the ground?
BTW, I do know several darn good reasons for doing so but was just wondering how it fits into your drill. 8)
Sorry for roaming off topic.

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2011, 08:17:32 PM »

Evening noload-hey good thoughts from you- as for putting the wpn on the ground-it breaks the loop-i undestand awhile ago a calif PO practised takeaways-and when it occured in real life he took the gun and automatically gave it back and was shot-thats why we put it on the ground-i dont know if that story is real or not but ----we do  put it on the ground-looking forward to more from you- to add a little-if the shooter fires immediately when confronting a victim -no chance-if thier is any hesitation then try the technique-R/S WW

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2011, 05:14:38 PM »

Noload-i reread your post-in case i did not make myself clear -we put the wpn on he ground in training the takeawy-not in real life- ;D ;D-R/S WW

noload

• Level 4
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2011, 07:26:51 PM »

Good evening WW, hope you're have a great weekend.

-if the shooter fires immediately when confronting a victim -no chance-if thier is any hesitation then try the technique
OK, I'm thinking I'm taking this out of context but besides a disarm or control technique several other factors come into play in order to go for the gun; distance, opportunity (Hock covered a lot of that in his post), readiness of the guy with the gun to shoot you and his intent with holding the gun on you. Hesitation could mean several things, some good, some very not so good. Does that factor into the training?

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2011, 08:01:39 AM »

Noload- all these things come into play-As I only have been in one altercation with a pistol (unloaded-glad to say) I would say that as far as i am concerned I train to take away as soon as I can-then cripple the holder at least-(I am a civilian)-oo bad we are not closer would like training these sarnarios with you or yor group-
Happy memnorial Day-R/W WW

Download