W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• July 18, 2018, 06:39:43 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Police Officer Abandons Partner  (Read 1597 times)

Trembula

Police Officer Abandons Partner
« on: June 08, 2005, 01:18:24 PM »

This ain't how it is supposed to go down...

Dan

Officer runaway

Cop fled as partner is shot

BY ALISON GENDAR
DAILY NEWS POLICE BUREAU CHIEF

A Brooklyn cop was caught on videotape running away while his hero partner was wounded in a barrage of bullets on a Brownsville street last week, high-ranking police sources told the Daily News yesterday.

The damning video prompted Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly to strip Police Officer Gilberto Marrero of his gun - and order the 12-year veteran to stay off duty until the shootout can be fully reviewed, a police official said.

The official and other police sources familiar with the surveillance tape said Marrero ran after a teen gunman fired the first shot at his 73rd Precinct partner, decorated Officer Patrick Caprice. Marrero left Caprice to fend for himself as the gunman fired four more times, sources said.

Caprice was wounded in his arm and stomach - but his bulletproof vest stopped a potentially deadly slug to his chest. Still, Caprice managed to get off 14 shots, wounding the gunman.

"The tape is damning," said a Brooklyn law enforcement source.

"This guy's partner is getting drilled full of bullets and he's seen running the other direction," the cop added. "He doesn't fire a shot. He leaves his partner bloody in the street. It's not what a cop is supposed to do."

Reached by phone last night at his Brookdale Hospital bed, Caprice, a 42-year-old father of four, declined to comment about why his partner of more than a year did not return fire. But the 14-year NYPD veteran's father, Charles Caprice, was blunt in his anger at Marrero.

"He did not help my son, he ran. My son was on the ground and he ran," he said.

"He should get another job. He is not police," the father said.

The gunfire erupted June 1 shortly after Caprice and Marrero had stopped gunman David Redden, 18, on a seemingly routine drug arrest. But as the two officers approached Redden's car - Caprice on the driver's side and Marrero on the passenger's side - Redden fired a single shot at Caprice through the car window.

Once Redden got off his first shots, the tape - taken from a surveillance camera on Dumont Ave. - shows Marrero turning and running from the gunfire, to take cover behind a car farther down the block, sources said.

Redden got out of his car, at first turning to run, only to pivot and fire more shots at Caprice, striking him in his stomach and arm. Caprice's bulletproof vest blocked a shot to his heart. He fell to one knee but still managed to pump off 14 rounds and wound Redden and hit his fleeing car. The gunman later fatally shot himself.

Marrero never returned to help his fallen partner, the video indicates and witnesses told cops, sources said.

Caprice was found in the middle of Dumont Ave. and taken to the hospital in a van by another cop from his Bedford-Stuyvesant precinct, sources said.

Marrero, who has been out sick since the shooting, was not reachable for comment.

Originally published on June 7, 2005

Professor

• In your house drinking your coffee
  • Level 4
  • The Warlord
Re: Police Officer Abandons Partner
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2005, 02:03:12 PM »

I'm speechless.   :-X
  'Advanced' is being able to do the basics, despite what else is happening. 

Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any AMERICA because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!"  --- Chesty Puller, USMC

Bri Thai

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2005, 11:10:31 AM »

I would be very interested in what the apparent coward has to say.  It would have to be good.

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2005, 01:59:23 PM »

June 10, 2005 -- Shot cop Patrick Caprice says he's thankful to be alive and looks forward to the day when he can go back on active duty.

In his first full day home from the hospital after being shot three times in the chest last week, the Brooklyn officer expressed his gratitude and counted his blessings.

"I appreciate everything, all the prayers," he said.

"Thank God I'm alive and my kids are here to see me alive."

Caprice walked with a cane, but held hands with his son Isiah, 7, who called him "a brave man," and daughter Chrystal, 11, who said "we're proud of him."
The wounded officer said he's still in pain and can't go back to work right away, but will in the future.

"I love being a policeman," he said.

Insisting he wasn't a hero, he thanked hospital workers and the fellow cop who drove him to the hospital, whom he called the real heroes. But he would not talk about his partner Gilberto Marrero, under investigation for allegedly running away during the shooting, leaving Caprice to face the gunman alone.

Caprice's father, though, had plenty to say on the subject.

"For me, if you are my partner and I got a problem and you leave, you are my enemy. What reason do you have to come see Patrick?" St. Charles Caprice said angrily as he walked to the store to buy a fan to comfort his recovering son during yesterday's 90-degree heat.

"I said, 'I'm your friend, don't leave me alone.' That's bull - - - -!" the normally reserved 78-year- old blurted out.

Marrero, 36, was hoping to visit Caprice after the shot cop was released from the hospital Wednesday, said a fellow officer who is friends with both men.

Caprice holds no grudge against Marrero, a close friend had said after Caprice returned home. But blood is clearly thicker than water, as the elder Caprice has repeatedly called Marrero a coward for turning his back on his son. The two had been partnered at times at Brooklyn's 73rd Precinct over the past year, although not on a permanent basis.

Marrero is said to be extremely despondent over the July 2 shootout during a drug bust in Brownsville. A bulletproof vest saved Caprice's life, but a bullet fragment entered his stomach.

Additional reporting by Murray Weiss and Hasani Gittens

Download