W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• April 26, 2018, 09:33:54 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Launching Tennis Balls  (Read 2929 times)

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
Launching Tennis Balls
« on: July 26, 2011, 03:48:18 PM »

Here ya go...
http://www.youtube.com/user/NLTShooting#p/u/3/6HMehrs6UHk

I wonder where they got that idea? (Since I have been doing that since the 1990s and was SEVERELY LAUGHED AT back then by the macho shooting world... Hoooohahahaha....and my Gun 1 DVD made 10 years is all about the stress quick draw and zipping tennis balls at shooters.)

Or, did they invent this in complete isolation? As in July 25th entry discusses...
http://www.hockscqc.com/blogs/07-11/index.htm

Hock
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 03:49:53 PM by Hock »

Canuk

• Level 4
Re: Launching Tennis Balls
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 08:19:19 AM »

See, now, here's what you do. You let them make oodles of cash teaching this "new concept" and then you sue them for a percentage of the earnings as you are the able to show that you did it first.....although i remember playing dodgeball when i was 5. This required me to employee tactical footwork and an operational knowledge of threat assessment and body language to avoid becoming a target and it also required me to engage the threat will moving...so maybe ill sue, and then in turn get sued and so on down  the line....lol

grlaun

• Rawhide
  • Level 4
  • Jeff 'Rawhide' Laun
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 04:48:23 PM »

no, see its new.. because they reach back and throw the ball underhanded like drawing a pistol so it MUST be new...right? 
Cheat in Beginning - Cheat in the Middle - Cheat in the End
Official Evil Ninja - 2008
Texas Peace Officer 8/2009
"You're making the wrong assumption that a Marine by himself is outnumbered"
Gen Peter Pace, 28Jul06
"You tell that muthaf**ka, he owes me money!"

Webby

• Level 4
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 03:07:03 AM »

Two teaching points : 1. The trainer tells the guy when to throw the ball. That's defeating the whole point. 2. The trainer says, '' O.K '', a lot. Why is he doing that ? Is he not sure of his training/teaching, not sure the students understand him ? I hate it when people do that. Teach xxx and say this is the way it's done. There's no need for '' O.k ''. It's like seeking approval or asking permission.
Webby..   

Canuk

• Level 4
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 10:02:02 PM »

no, see its new.. because they reach back and throw the ball underhanded like drawing a pistol so it MUST be new...right?

What was i thunking!

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 10:53:24 AM »

We finally got around to filming the tennis ball drills in about 2002 in Kansas City for the Gun/Counter-Gun Level 1 DVD.  Been doing them for years before this. Much to the chagrin of macho shooters everywhere.

We use tennis balls a lot but in the level 1 stress quick draw modules -  you have a line of shooters with holstered gas or airsoft weapons and a line of ball throwers. Start at about 20 feet out. The throwers (throw FACT pitches) anytime THEY want and as many as they can throw them. This keeps the shooter on the move. "Them-that-stand-still" often just get hit by the balls.

After that, we pull in the throwing line...in at 15 feet for a series, then 10....THEN FIVE FEET! The close up version of 5 feet is very, very intense.

We ask the ball throwers to start with a ball in their hand, down at their side. This sort of resembles a bit of a quick draw arm motion, so the shooter is responding to something that visually resembles a draw. (Reducing the abstract).

Hock

Download