W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• January 16, 2018, 07:30:33 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Instructors needed  (Read 4976 times)

Dawg

• Level 4
Instructors needed
« on: July 06, 2011, 12:56:43 PM »

One of my former students recently transferred to Norfolk, VA. She just informed me that none of the gyms on base offer any self defense or combatives training. I searched the SFC instructors list, and all the instructors listed are at least three hours away from Norfolk. I did a quick search on martial arts in the area and only came up with some generic TMA schools.

Do any of the forum members teach in this area or can recommend somebody I can refer my student to? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, a traditional martial art school would be fine, as long as the school is a progressive one that deals with street useable tactics and techniques. She will be standing armed watches during her Naval career and possibly performing other duties that could put her in harms way. No paper mills, paper tigers or wannabes need reply. Not meaning to hurt anyone's feelings or step on any toes...just sayin'!

There used to be MA tournaments held at both Norfolk and Virginia beach back in the early 90's when I was stationed there; bummer for her that things do change with time.

Thanks in advance for your help, folks! ;D
"Whether you're paranoid or not, they're coming for you."  - Dawg

Keith Miller

• Level 4
  • "Shut the F@*k Up, Donnie!"
    • MMA Fitness Online
Re: Instructors needed
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 02:29:20 PM »

You should have him start a SFC training group. Then they can save their pennies and have Hock, or you, or any of us fly out and do workshops for them. Give them a bit to work on...then come back in 6 months or so.

Dawg

• Level 4
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 02:38:36 PM »

Keith,

That's a great suggestion, but she is relatively new to martial arts training (and the Navy, BTW!), and that would probably be a bit much for her to take on. There are some SFC folks within a three hour drive from Norfolk, but I was trying to help her find someone to help her develop some good fundamental skills on a weekly basis.

She is very smart and a hard worker, so I'll pass on your suggestion to her. I think it would be best if she had a little more guidance at her current skill level. But, as always, that's her call to make, not mine.

Thanks!

arnold

• the king of cool
  • Level 4
  • oh that will get you killed
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 03:37:32 PM »

She should be thrilled I don't live in Virginia! ;D
I leave you idiots alone for 5 minutes and I come back and you're all dancing around like a bunch of Kansas City faggots
you're all a bunch of slack jawed faggots around here, this stuff will make you a sexual tyrannosaurus, just like me!

Kentbob

• JOAT
  • Level 4
  • Sound the horn and call the cry
    • Antrim Self-Protection
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 06:06:07 PM »

You know, I've found that buy going to the gym and simply working on the heavy bag or practicing stuff I attract the attention of people who are either more experienced, same level, or less experienced, and in all three instances looking for someone to train with.  Or try craigslist.

Kent
"Specialization is for insects."-Robert A. Heinlein

http://antrimmasp.blogspot.com/

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 07:36:43 PM »

Here is a phone number for her to check out-Krav Maga in Princess
Anne Va-near norfolk-lessons include weapon take aways-fighting off attackers,
757-471-9002-great for police/security/military-emphasis is on real world situations-add to the good things that  Dawg taught  should really help out- WW

Dawg

• Level 4
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 08:30:31 PM »

WW,
Thanks; I'll pass along the info.

She should be thrilled I don't live in Virginia! ;D

She is; and she doesn't even know it! ;D (Son! That young woman would be the death of you!)

Dawg

• Level 4
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 08:36:39 PM »

You know, I've found that buy going to the gym and simply working on the heavy bag or practicing stuff I attract the attention of people who are either more experienced, same level, or less experienced, and in all three instances looking for someone to train with.  Or try craigslist.

That works great for me, as well. But that ability comes from the confidence that experience brings. She is also an attractive young lady, and that could get her the kind of attention she would rather do without. Good advice for us big, ugly dudes; maybe not so much for her. But. I'll pass along the suggestion. Thanks!

arnold

• the king of cool
  • Level 4
  • oh that will get you killed
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2011, 07:01:41 AM »

big and ugly, I completely agree!
I leave you idiots alone for 5 minutes and I come back and you're all dancing around like a bunch of Kansas City faggots
you're all a bunch of slack jawed faggots around here, this stuff will make you a sexual tyrannosaurus, just like me!

Dawg

• Level 4
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2011, 07:06:58 AM »

At your age, with everything else on your body going to hell in a handbasket, it must be reassuring to know that your vision is still acute. ;D

Who luvs ya?

The Big AND Ugly Dawg
(You know you only wish you were as good lookin' as me!)

Dawg

• Level 4
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2011, 07:40:04 AM »

WW,

I passed on your info and she was very excited about going to check them out. Thanks!

Thanks to everyone else, as well, for all the great suggestions. This one of the things I like best about this forum; the willingness to help each other.

And yes, Uncle Arnold, I mean you too! ;D

Kentbob

• JOAT
  • Level 4
  • Sound the horn and call the cry
    • Antrim Self-Protection
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2011, 09:26:35 AM »

At some point in life, you have to step outside the comfort zone a little, and this goes double for the military.  How else does one learn and grow?

Kent
"Specialization is for insects."-Robert A. Heinlein

http://antrimmasp.blogspot.com/

Dawg

• Level 4
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2011, 10:22:39 AM »

Agreed; emphasis on the phrase, "at some point".

In order to step out of your particular comfort zone, you have to know what that comfort zone entails. You should have a strong foundation in some fundamental combat skills, athletic ability and knowledge so you have an idea of where you DO and DON'T want to go, and how to go about it in a way that won't actually harm you instead of help you.

I'm just trying to help her get a little more knowledge under her belt to make it easier for her to make some good decisions for what she wants to accomplish. Lots of snake-oil salesmen and charlatans out there who would be glad to take her money or teach her some garbage that could get her killed.

Just trying to help a shipmate out, and give her some options to choose from. ;D
The final decision of how she might proceed will be hers, of course. As I say on a regular basis in the classes I teach, "The bottom line is this: When you're all alone with no one coming to help you and you're fighting for your very life, it's YOUR ass. You better train that way."

So, time will tell the tale. I'm very interested to see where she goes from here.

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2011, 03:29:51 PM »

Dawg-contact made-all sounds good as to the school-WW

Dawg

• Level 4
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2011, 07:28:28 PM »

Cool! I hope it works out well for her.

Thanks to ALL for the assistance!