W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• December 15, 2018, 10:07:34 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: INTERNAL ARTS  (Read 4873 times)

JohnS

• Level 2
INTERNAL ARTS
« on: July 17, 2011, 09:27:40 PM »

IS this stuff for real?Using your chi to create a solid root so that your strikes are strong and flowing chi through the arms to increase power?It seems like a lot of nonsense as far as a combative application is concerned.Wouldnt all the sport fighters train in tai chi,pa kua and xing yi then?

Canuk

• Level 4
Re: INTERNAL ARTS
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 08:15:16 AM »

I refer you back to master so and so, who accepted a challenge to use his chi/ki and defeat a fighter. Got his ass kicked hard

Im sure someone will be along shortly to provide a link to the youtube video

Whiskey Jack

• Level 1
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 01:00:40 PM »

It's nonsense.  Nonsense that makes you feel good about your art, but still nonsense.

noload

• Level 4
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 06:04:38 PM »

I've done some Taiji Chuan. No expert but I have a decent feel for what it's supposed to do.
First, the guy who I was training with was of the opinion that what is called chi is just your energy transferred to the target in the most efficient manner. Which usually meant having a good base (low center of gravity but still being mobile), being relaxed and using the body not just the arm (for example) to deliver a strike. Same that any good fighter is doing, but something that many bad strikers usually aren't.

One thing I've noticed is that the guys who are into the actual fighting side of the internal arts rarely talk about chi and do talk about body dynamics.

Kentbob

• JOAT
  • Level 4
  • Sound the horn and call the cry
    • Antrim Self-Protection
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 06:26:35 PM »

I think it has a lot to do with being dynamic, having the proper timing of relaxing and tensing muscles.  It doesn't give you superpowers, but if you have the time and effort to practice, I'm sure it would work.  Personally, I prefer to spend time in pursuit of something with a higher payoff, such as lifting weights.

Kent
"Specialization is for insects."-Robert A. Heinlein

http://antrimmasp.blogspot.com/

noload

• Level 4
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011, 07:54:55 PM »

I like both. ;D

One other thing I've found about a lot of people who take internal arts in the US, they don't like conflict. So they'll stay with the form and away from any of the other drills and aspects of the arts, things like the locks, breaks and throws. And look out if you do push hands as anything other than a some whacky form of meditation with two people. they'll wag a finger at you.

jmech

• Level 2
    • DefenseQuest
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011, 08:54:29 PM »

Canuk- Is this the video you were referring too?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEDaCIDvj6I

;D
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

cfadeftac

• Level 1
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2011, 01:37:45 AM »

The Tai Chi I've done has some fantastic drills for boxing and is noted as a wrestling art. 

We were taught a push hands drill that involves "dissolving" a push while making light elbow contact, it was later explained that the elbow contact was just to teach you when to punch over the arm while countering (works like a charm).  In another apllication of wave like clouds we were taught to use the elbow to turn the opponent while clinched, too bad so many people stay in the push hands phase.

Andrew

Canuk

• Level 4
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2011, 06:18:31 AM »

Canuk- Is this the video you were referring too?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEDaCIDvj6I

;D

Yup, that would be it!

juszczec

• Level 3
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2011, 07:36:17 AM »

I think it has a lot to do with being dynamic, having the proper timing of relaxing and tensing muscles. 

I think "chi" is a catch all term created to capture the above idea.

JohnS

• Level 2
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2011, 05:24:03 PM »

The internal styles Ive seen have a lot of deep stances and do a lot of full waist twisting and stepping with blows.The chi I think is the combining of them...I guess if you do this type of training for 15 years starting at age 6 thats why they call Tai Chi Supreme  Ultimate Fist.

Mesmeriser

• Level 1
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2011, 02:34:33 PM »

from what ive seen of tai chi guys  and the ones ive  spoken with thats exactly it mostly about the things described above.  mainly body mechanics . i once read a western tai chi site of guys that took tai chi seriously and trained for combat purposes and dispelled alot of the myths as well as offer information why most tai chi is so crappy and unrealistic.  i remember them explaining why tehres so much confusion and misconception the  main reason its so vague was beause the concept of chi is very broad in the culture.  and that  in tai chi in one context it would  refere to continous flow of motion other times it refers to your root then other times it referes to body mechanics  or using your whole body as 1 system then other times...
so they basicly created many proper languaged distinctions  and concepts to make it easy understandable,  i also remember them writing about training methods and how alot of tai chi training methods and application training was just really crappy,   kinda how some fma type schools mainly teach stick dancing and endless variations on patterns  instead of effective self defence.  it made alot of sense sounded liek they knew wha tthey were talking about

but then there is the other side where some actually believe its real,   chi is basicly a piece of a bigger ''magicy'' paradigm , you know  monoism one is all  everything is connected all is energy,  and then you know how intent and focus can learn to harness it and then that whole thing where youl learn to grow it in your tummy area and then slowly open up all the chakras, cycling energy and connecting with the universe,   the chigung witch in the west is watered down retardedness  is in its original form more about magic they have all these legends how chiging masters of old got to be x 100 years  and could heal by sending chi , and all this weirdness. it becomes like yoga or meditation.  it can even be dangerous they have this condition called chigung psychosis witch is basicly guys completely losing it supposedly because they were cycling the chi or doing to much to early in their development and couldnt controll it  its kinda like the trouble some people get in when they do that whole yoga kundalini thing. 
just tought i'd throw that in there..

Download