W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• January 19, 2018, 01:50:12 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: found this one on defenses and drawing a wpn against a knife attack  (Read 3355 times)

whitewolf

• Level 4

This shows some good practical training when approaching or being approached -entering a room or in the open-WW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM7hGnW6rhA&feature=feedlik

JimH

• Level 4
Re: found this one on defenses and drawing a wpn against a knife attack
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 07:02:15 PM »

The training is great,the concept is wrong and they all continue to do the same thing without correction:
Going for their pistols,and they all get stabbed doing so ,as they are in a confined space doing a drill that requires a warehouse as when Itay is doing the drill.

When you do not have the space to create the distance to draw the pistol you must deal with the knife /knife bearing limb and control the limb/hand and blade.

my opinion

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 07:47:50 PM »

JimH- I agree-i saw same thing-no corrections-maybe off camera they corrected it- or-the instructor wanted them to at least try--towards end Ity Gil did some and it looked better-thought i would put it up though to show how some train-I do think that continuous training is needed to defend against a blade-one can not
learn this overnight--and-i have not been in a real knife fight-but i have been in other type altercations-one has to over come the attacker -if you give up you are finished.-WW

Keith Miller

• Level 4
  • "Shut the F@*k Up, Donnie!"
    • MMA Fitness Online
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 07:38:41 PM »

Everyone was backpedalling at the sight of the knife or initial attack. The attacker can move much faster forward than you can backwards. Better to move forward, deal with the threat...then shoot 'em.

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 06:53:41 AM »

Agree-never back up=he will run right over you-as said forward or to side
only way while block/hold/pull strike repeatedly-WW

Keith Miller

• Level 4
  • "Shut the F@*k Up, Donnie!"
    • MMA Fitness Online
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 05:56:35 PM »

He does a piss poor job at the end of protecting his gun, too. Why would you present the gun like that? Shouldn't he keep it close to his body and wedge his body, not shooting hand out to stop/block/grapple the rushing opponent? Who's to say that his momentum will end when he gets shot? Just let him run into your gun? I'm no gun fighting expert...but even I wasn't impressed.

Kentbob

• JOAT
  • Level 4
  • Sound the horn and call the cry
    • Antrim Self-Protection
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 06:08:19 PM »

The second guy did a reasonable job.  He checked the attacker's advance and forced him back long enough to draw and reasonably get at least one shot off.

Then I saw a couple people try for a kick, and damn near get bounced to the wall by the attacker's momentum.  Important safety tip: don't kick a charging opponent.

Especially in the tight confines, one of the simplest solutions is to probably put a stiff body check on the guy who is charging forward, American Football style.  Plant a shoulder into his solar plexus and knock him back a few steps, that should give enough time to draw and employ a weapon, no matter what type.  Especially in tight confines like the room scenario, where there is no space for all the backpedaling.
You might take a stab or five, but it's better than the fifty you're likely to take if you simply get cornered without being able to employ a weapon.
Kent
"Specialization is for insects."-Robert A. Heinlein

http://antrimmasp.blogspot.com/

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 06:39:28 PM »

For starters this is a worst case scenario. You have magically appeared within a few feet of a rushing madman with a knife. Don't expect much.

Like Keith said, lots of extended handguns way, way too far out. Very common problem. But, this instructor should be smart enough to correct that. Both single hand and double hand grips way too far out.

Lots of times the knifer had his weapon hand behind his back. This was an immediate pistol draw for me. I would be dead today if I had not. Each and every time I encountered such a situation, my gun came out. You see a guy hiding his hand like that? DRAW! We all should immediately consider that concealed arm is holding a weapon. Why else?

At that range even if you shoot him he still charging in with the knife. It is gonna suck. You should probably shoot one handed, contracted arm, and leave your supprt hand free for the nightmare knife.

Hock

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 08:34:03 PM »

glad you guys picked it apart-thats the way one learns-WW

Canuk

• Level 4
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2011, 01:14:15 PM »

Yep, use a combat tuck and shoot, shoot, shoot.

Also i have a huge problem with the way that the "good guys" all had their non dominant hands stretched out in the typical "police stop" stance. keep your hands in.

You can talk to a person and move without having hands extended, they make great handles and targets

Download