W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• January 18, 2018, 02:14:26 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A handle on hair  (Read 6072 times)

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
A handle on hair
« on: August 21, 2011, 02:54:03 PM »

whitewolf

• Level 4
Re: A handle on hair
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 05:20:59 PM »

Hock- you know I am just shaking my head (which is bald)- I was shown how to run your fingers up the scalp so you could get a good gripe (not out at the ends)-of the opponent and pull like hell-many years ago-
this guy who ever he is is loose as a goose-
In fact I show that type technique to every student when they are in close contact-If there is not hair-just go around and grab ear,eye , or nose and twist---
And as said many times here-the newer instructors dont even think "dirty fighting"-Why is that?????
As you have said-somewhere some one is training to kill you...so pull that hair- ;D- WW

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 07:36:28 AM »

To further add to use of hair pull- he should read the knife combat files
(page 67 in the knife book) Afganistan in the 50,s-that says it all plain and simple-WW

Whiskey Jack

• Level 1
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 10:17:32 AM »

I'm glad I haven't had to deal with yahoos like that kid trying to call you out.  Heck even back in my capoeira days we frequently commented that "The word for 'ponytail' in Portuguese is 'handle'"

CQCKenpo

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 09:31:11 PM »

I remember in a UFC 4 qualifying fight there were two fighters, Jason Fairn and Guy Mezger, who both had long pony tails.  They made a "gentleman's agreement" that neither would resort to hair pulling during their fight.  I wonder how long a "gentleman's agreement would last on the street...

Kentbob

• JOAT
  • Level 4
  • Sound the horn and call the cry
    • Antrim Self-Protection
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 09:35:55 PM »

I remember in a UFC 4 qualifying fight there were two fighters, Jason Fairn and Guy Mezger, who both had long pony tails.  They made a "gentleman's agreement" that neither would resort to hair pulling during their fight.  I wonder how long a "gentleman's agreement would last on the street...

I quit being, or even pretending to be a gentleman during a streetfight, if that tells you anything.

Kent
"Specialization is for insects."-Robert A. Heinlein

http://antrimmasp.blogspot.com/

Joe Hubbard

• London, England
  • Level 4
  • Transforming the Esoteric with the Exoteric!
    • www.functionalfighting.com
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2011, 01:18:33 AM »

Check out this clip from 1995 from the World Combat Championships.  Eric Paulson had long hair and the rules included hair pulling.  Watch what happens at 4:24:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtD4l2gx-S8

Although Paulson wins the fight, he would have been in deep trouble if the referee didn't bring them back to their feet.

Paulson lost the next fight of that event to a boxer who basically grabbed Paulson's hair and beat him into submission.  I can't find any clips of that fight though.  I'm pretty sure Paulson cut his hair after that one.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 01:29:23 AM by Joe Hubbard »
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side"

Hunter S. Thompson

www.joehubbardstreetsurvival.com

Visit My Blog: http://joehubbard.wordpress.com

Webby

• Level 4
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 03:13:39 AM »

2 Techniques taught to me 1. Face to face, both hands grab his hair, step back and ' swing ' his face into the ground. 2. Grab long hair / pony hair and ' strangle ' the guy with his own hair. I saw a mental guy try this on a carer, he was very fast and had been planning the attack. Check out Greg Jones San Soo Kung Fu ' Predator Training ' book. A technique of sliding the hand into the hair, close to the skull as possable then make a fist. Very painful. Excellent control method. 

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2011, 06:32:42 AM »

Yep- we all agree- I do remember Paulson going to Japan with short hair and competing.
I never was a gentleman-My Mom always was yelling at me to be nice-
screw that ........... ;D
WW

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2011, 07:33:39 AM »

Interesting video on Paulsen.

And I knew Guy Metzger since WAY back in the 1980s karate days. (always a good guy) and that is an interesting story. When Guy went to Japan, he cut off his hair.

Hock

Canuk

• Level 4
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2011, 12:52:15 PM »

I remember leaning a move created/used/named by Cpn Ben Mangles called a South African steering wheel, it relied on the use of hair to control and manipulate the attacker.

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2011, 05:03:06 PM »

Canuk...you knew Ben?

Hock

Canuk

• Level 4
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2011, 07:23:21 PM »

No i never knew him or met him. I was shown the move by a guy that studied with him, this was about 20 plus years ago

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2011, 09:20:27 PM »

He lived in Dallas for a few years...in the 1980s...and I worked with him a lot. He has quite a past in South Africa and southern Africa (commando) and he showed me a lot of important, eye-opening stuff. I thought I would ask because few people know who he is.

Hock

Webby

• Level 4
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2011, 10:32:42 AM »

John Steadman of The British Ju-Jitsu Association had one like the steering wheel, but it was with the guys ears. Pull and twist one at the same time, push and twist the other. Set's the guy up for a bite or head butt to the temple. This stuff goes on for real. Man in Liverpool had both ears, nose and lip completely bitten off in street fight on Wednesday night in Toxteth area outside a night club. Brutal.

Canuk

• Level 4
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2011, 01:34:16 PM »

He lived in Dallas for a few years...in the 1980s...and I worked with him a lot. He has quite a past in South Africa and southern Africa (commando) and he showed me a lot of important, eye-opening stuff. I thought I would ask because few people know who he is.

Hock

Im very familir with who he is and his back ground, I found his stuff to effective and brutal. I rememeber the steering wheel mostly because it was something that was designed specficaly for a certain population. This was really the first time I had encountered something that targeting a specific population, so to speak

Download