W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• December 17, 2018, 02:18:39 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Some for JimH and others who are into this type techniques  (Read 5024 times)

whitewolf

• Level 4
Some for JimH and others who are into this type techniques
« on: August 28, 2011, 02:56:20 PM »

There are some fast techniques here-i.e. strike to throat- it also appears attackeris punching a little faster than normal in the dojo- WW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0q688jrBxts&feature=fvwp&NR=1

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
Re: Some for JimH and others who are into this type techniques
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 03:04:58 PM »

That was FUN!

Hock
(wonder why they forget all those hardcore strikes when they hit the ground and...wrestle?)

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 03:41:30 PM »

Hock-i think they wrestle/grapple because thats the norm of the day in many schools out there-almost everyone is adding grappling to thier
mat work-WW

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2011, 06:18:29 PM »

If they want to beat the wrestler/grappler...they need to remember to BEAT the wrestler/grappler, not turn their mental survival switch off and start wrestling...

Hock

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2011, 07:35:46 PM »

Hope that we can review some of this Oct 15/16th-WW

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2011, 09:37:24 PM »

....and a head start on that...almost NEVER STOP punching, elbowing, kneeing and kicking while he wrestles. Don't play tennis when he plays tennis.

Hock

JimH

• Level 4
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 07:51:31 AM »

Traditional Jujitsu,on which Judo is based,has the Ground Grappling arts as part of the training,so it is not that they are adding the grappling,it is ,and has been ,there ,but most employ the stand up more than ground.

As Hock says,do not fight their fight,fight your fight ,using your skills,your training,strike,strike and continue to strike.
Eyes,throat and joints always work no matter your position,standing,sitting,kneeling ,ground.
Fight to get up from the Ground,(Ground Survival),Never Ground Grapple.

Kentbob

• JOAT
  • Level 4
  • Sound the horn and call the cry
    • Antrim Self-Protection
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 03:51:11 PM »

Traditional Jujitsu,on which Judo is based,has the Ground Grappling arts as part of the training,so it is not that they are adding the grappling,it is ,and has been ,there ,but most employ the stand up more than ground.

As Hock says,do not fight their fight,fight your fight ,using your skills,your training,strike,strike and continue to strike.
Eyes,throat and joints always work no matter your position,standing,sitting,kneeling ,ground.
Fight to get up from the Ground,(Ground Survival),Never Ground Grapple.

The whole thing was pretty much grappling, there just happened to be a portion that was on the ground.  I have heard complaints from jiu jitsu guys about the ground only variants.  Mostly to the effect that they don't like the art being watered down like that.  Me, I thought that stuff in that demo was pretty cool, and looked very practical for the most part.  Also, it was smooth.  Really smooth.  Cool video overall.

Kent
"Specialization is for insects."-Robert A. Heinlein

http://antrimmasp.blogspot.com/

Canuk

• Level 4
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2011, 05:55:57 PM »

Im fighting yet another fight with some police trainers who think that Gracie Ju Jutsu is the way to go for cops

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2011, 06:22:22 PM »

Canuk-we have a detective in our class-he is a former ICE officer-now a city detective-he says his current department does not train any BJJ at all
its arm bars  toput them to the ground (they do not put in the report how they got to the arm bar- ;D)
They advise never ever go to ground.
He is taking our class now to work on techniques when he cannot get to gun and its all or nothing. He is 270 lbs-and strong as hell. When i hold the kick shield and he kicks or punches i just  get thrown back......glad he is on our side. WW

TLE

• Level 3
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2011, 06:31:51 PM »

The applications before the grappling was almost identical to what we did in Hapkido only we never started from an overcomtitted lunge punch.  I thought it was great training.I had a karate background and the first time the instructor had me attack I threw one of those old school lunge pucnhes and everybody just started laughing. This is also where I learned the power of a throw. A good  slam on a hard surface and its over.

Kentbob

• JOAT
  • Level 4
  • Sound the horn and call the cry
    • Antrim Self-Protection
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2011, 08:56:40 PM »

The applications before the grappling was almost identical to what we did in Hapkido only we never started from an overcomtitted lunge punch.  I thought it was great training.I had a karate background and the first time the instructor had me attack I threw one of those old school lunge pucnhes and everybody just started laughing. This is also where I learned the power of a throw. A good  slam on a hard surface and its over.

Same here, actually.  It reminded me of hapkido and judo.   I recognized a lot of the throws I learned in Judo and Hapkido, such as the maki-komi.  Also the arm wrenches I recognized from a few places. 

Kent
"Specialization is for insects."-Robert A. Heinlein

http://antrimmasp.blogspot.com/

Canuk

• Level 4
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2011, 09:25:34 PM »

One of the problems as i see it, is that from day one, new recruits are told that they are the best of the best of the best. Its a ruthless competition to be a cop these days. They hear this same line of BS at the Police college and then start to believe their own press.

The they see and hear how the BJJ guys are the best of the best of the best and they start to believe that press. I find this to be  young cop problem as opposed to an old cop problem.

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2011, 06:31:36 AM »

Adding a question to the discussion-after a BJJ technique does  not work on the street do many PO,s start to use other techniques to get the criminal to complie? WW

Canuk

• Level 4
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2011, 06:38:21 AM »

Yes they do, for instance, at Police College and in service training they will teach you CDT, its the same ole same ole. They do not teach you how to pull non compliant people from vehicles but its something that you will need to do at some point. But thier is no "vehicle extraction" class.

So its done by what ever means you can.

Download