W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• July 20, 2018, 07:57:21 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Magpul Handgun  (Read 2244 times)

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
Magpul Handgun
« on: September 09, 2011, 03:59:07 PM »

The Magpul handgun video is out.
For those interested. Some are not, as a number of operators did not like the Magpul long gun DVDs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTr8xvkUWp4&feature=player_embedded#!

Hock

Kentbob

• JOAT
  • Level 4
  • Sound the horn and call the cry
    • Antrim Self-Protection
Re: Magpul Handgun
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 08:50:11 AM »

I just watched this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye30b3TL5wI

What were some of the complaints voiced about the long gun DVDs?

One of my buddies recommended their stuff to me, that's why I'm interested.

Kent
"Specialization is for insects."-Robert A. Heinlein

http://antrimmasp.blogspot.com/

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 09:29:04 AM »

I know the complainers...they are "high speed-low drag" guys, some that teach the military, some SWAT, and they have moaned about parts of their doctrine. They did not specifically tell me what parts so I do not know exactly what they mean, as when the subject came up we weren't in dissection mode.

I liked the long gun/machine gun/rifle  DVDs....I thought they spent way too much "air-time" zeroing in the weapon in the beginning. Then there are drills wasting a lot of ammo... $$$$$...when the team partners could be blowing cheaper blanks or something else. Or the drills could be run with gas guns or even airsoft, then convert over to live fire at the very end once they mastered the movements and timing.

I thought they were okay. Nothing special. Nothing I couldn't get in Texas 90 minutes away, or anyone else couldn't get within a two hour drive from their house.

There is one big difference. They could afford big color ads in ALL the gun magazines. That's special.

Hock
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 10:38:36 AM by Hock »

michael

• Level 3
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 05:29:30 AM »

From the clips I have seen, it looks more like a flashy infomercial.
**To be a warrior is not a simple matter of wishing to be one. It is rather an endless struggle that will go on to the very last moment of our lives. Nobody is born a warrior, in exactly the same way that nobody is born an average man. We make ourselves into one or the other.** Carlos Castaneda

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 10:37:42 AM »

The part in the video clip where the teacher is kneeling, hands on head, maybe in the "about-to-be-assassinated" position?  He is telling the students to keep the gun hand on top of the other hand, on his head? That part of the video clip...

Well that is pretty much worthless. To a thoughtless person (or untrained person) that might seem all kinds of super, "insider cool," but that is really a worthless tip. You see if your gun hand is under your non-gun hand, atop your head? Gee, don't press down on your gun hand. It is YOUR hand you know, you are in control of it and just don't press down on it.

I guarantee that your gun hand will fly down to your gun within the same few milliseconds.

Gun people, in a never-ending quest to outdo other gun people- their business competitors  - have to keep making stuff up. Most of the time it nearly worthless and usually has to do with shooting guns on a range.

The answer is right at their fingertips. Simulated ammo. But the paper-target, gun range mentality is a business model almost all of them cannot and will not give up. It is a radical, radical change. The 60-40, or 70-30 split... as in 70% sims, 30% live fire...is too much of a change.

And folks, when you do the 70% sims training, you learn that some of the range materials won't work so well.

Well I could go on and on and on about this, so I'll just shut up...

Hock

Canuk

• Level 4
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2011, 10:53:25 AM »

Preach on Brother, preach on!

grlaun

• Rawhide
  • Level 4
  • Jeff 'Rawhide' Laun
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 08:07:46 AM »

Take Paul Howe's Tatical Pistol 1 and really understand how to train the weapon...80% dry fire...technique, technique, technique... worth every penny
Cheat in Beginning - Cheat in the Middle - Cheat in the End
Official Evil Ninja - 2008
Texas Peace Officer 8/2009
"You're making the wrong assumption that a Marine by himself is outnumbered"
Gen Peter Pace, 28Jul06
"You tell that muthaf**ka, he owes me money!"

Download