W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• September 22, 2018, 08:37:07 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Why training pays off  (Read 4173 times)

whitewolf

• Level 4
Why training pays off
« on: December 02, 2011, 09:04:23 PM »

While in class tonight i was called by a good friend of mine who told me that a friend of his who he brought to class with him where we trained in blocking angles (block the clock) and other combatatives was attacked by a maniac who had a knife. The attack was blocked by a text book block to 11 oclock area and at the same time struck the atttacker in the head with his fist.The attacker still kept swinging and cut this guy accross the stomach-he kept on defending and hitting knocking the attacker to the floor where he stomped on his ankle,knee and then face- the then held him for the police-he said if he had not taken this abbreveated course he might be dead now. Training doews work-WW

seldomseen

• Level 2
Re: Why training pays off
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 03:49:02 PM »

Whitewolf,

That must be a good feeling for you. Keep up the good work.

Jason

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 08:42:14 PM »

Jason- yes it is-it makes feel good to have studied  learned and passed  on real techniques that can be applied to the situation-as a side note  the friend i was mentioning is a deputy sheriff in a country jail and a real professional at his trade. Thanks for the response-WW

Canuk

• Level 4
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 10:03:34 PM »

Well done WW and your student

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 10:23:56 AM »

Furthering my studying of knife usage (offense and defense technigues)
I came accross in books a million a revised book by George Kirby. Mr Kirby
in 2011 updated and published Jujitsu-using information from his first printing and updating information  given by his students. In this book he has a few discriptions of defense against a upward stab and a swipe.
Both techniques seem authentic-weither you like the techniques or not it is worthwile reading and trying them out---WW

JimH

• Level 4
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 10:50:53 AM »

WW Great going in your teaching.
It is good when a student is able to take a class or two and then from that be able to protect themselves in a deadly situation.
That should be the goal of all schools,and one that I try to accomplish as well,teach the student something useful so when they leave,even if only after one class they are able to do Something,Anything,towards saving themselves and or a loved one.
Keep up the Great Work.

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 01:04:31 PM »

JimH-along with studying with Hock and some of his SFC  guys I hope to get to NY and meet with you sometime and pick your brain also.

After being in the self defense field for awhile I have come to reolize that if the instructor does not ingrain in the students brain that they have to continue the good fight and not give up. One of my favorite sayings now is this"One has to turn from the victim into the agressor"

And---what is always said in the SFC and from my KM instructors-dont fight fair-
take care-WW

Canuk

• Level 4
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 02:03:34 PM »

And what, this was all done without 3000-5000 reps, say it aint so!

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2011, 09:56:03 PM »

Hey canuk-u r  right- no 5000 repititions-just 2 1 hour classes- :D=WW

Benjamin Liu

• Level 4
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2011, 03:55:30 AM »

Good job.

It shows that a properly-trained student can defend himself in real like without all the things various instructors, author, and forum/blog gurus say they need.

IMO a lot of slogans and cliches instructors have used to motivate students to train harder have had an unintentional negative effect, which is programming students for failure and installing fear when they should have a will to act when needed.

I've seen this scenario too many times.  An example is a student from Instructor A drops out of training and eventually trains with Instructor B.  Instructor B criticized the student's technique and tell him things like "That will get you killed." while in reality both instructors have valid techniques. 

I'll tell a student what he did wrong and show him how to do it correctly, not constantly tell him that if he makes a mistake that he'll be killed.  IMO that is programming the student for failure and filling him/her with self-doubt. 

Excess confidence is also bad, but for most students I've seen confidence levels below their ability.  The cocky types are much fewer but they tend to stick out more so they seem to be in greater numbers.

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2011, 06:53:32 AM »

Yes-to continue- another thing i tried at class was=at the start i  had all students line up-i had them introduce them selves and what they do-
I had a future police officer, 2 active army sgts, 2 female home makers,
a land surveryer, and 3 kids-ranging from 6 to 12--all told what they do.
Then I said-ok we are training for the real world and i show a rubber knife---then i drop the rubber knife and quickly take out a silver 3 inch
double bladed karamit- and flash that and say- this is what you can really be up against-so lets understand in the real world ONE can get hurt-so lets train to go home.  (The childrens mom was ok with this
demo by the way.)-I find that when i give a demo at martial arts school
X-they are for the most part in gaga land-it is not going to work what is taught but the parents/students seem to be happy with this- ??????
Oh well-lots of luck to them on this....R/sWW

now lets train so we can go home- and we start class-

Download