W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• April 24, 2018, 10:41:00 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Gun Training For Women  (Read 2959 times)

Meredith

• Forum Member
    • R-A-W Power
Gun Training For Women
« on: June 30, 2005, 03:41:55 PM »

Hi All!

No, I did not fall off of the face of the earth...Mike and I recently relocated back to L.A. and life got a bit crazy for me... but I'm back among the living and looking forward to new topics!

Last weekend I participated in a basic handgun training program that was geared specifically to women. It was offered through a group here in L.A. called American Defense Enterprises - it was their maiden voyage for female-specific training. In addition to time on the range (using the Glock 9mm), their co-ed teaching team covered many other aspects of self defense and firearm use, including some of the psychological / emotional challenges many women encounter when it comes to using a firearm for self defense. I thought this was an important addition to most handgun training - it's not hard for women to become excellent technicians when they approach fireams as a sport where the goal is to become accurate when shooting a target, but that does not necessarily translate into being willing or able to use that same weapon in a life and death crisis. So, actually dealing with those issues as part of the training makes perfect sense! It allowed the participants an opportunity to discuss and commiserate about their own situations and concerns about using a gun or having one in their home, etc. Then they all got the chance to blast away on the range and get used to idea that they really CAN do it - and do it quite well, I might add! The entire 11 woman group were all really good shots!

I often encounter female students who immediately say "No way. I will NEVER fire a gun!", but I try to encourage them to at least become educated - even if they choose not to own a gun, at least take the time to learn HOW a gun works, what it feels like and sounds like when it's fired, how to disable it, if necessary. Basically, I want them to sort of de-mystify the gun and take some of the fear and power out of it so they might actually be able to function effectively, whether faced with an armed assailant or if they find themselves needing to use a firearm themselves.

Any feedback? Does anyone else approach handgun training differently, depending on the gender of the student? Have any of you seen a difference between men and women when it comes to attitudes about guns? How about skill? The guys at the LAX gun range said that they often find women to be better shots! ;)

Meredith
Meredith Gold
R-A-W Power
Real World Self Defense and
Empowerment Training

Professor

• In your house drinking your coffee
  • Level 4
  • The Warlord
Re: Gun Training For Women
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2005, 07:49:43 PM »

I was talking to a female doctoral student who related a recent story of her dad:

She, her brother and sister were sitting at the table with her dad (83 yrs old).  He wanted to give his guns to his son.   She quickly spoke up that she would like to have his guns.   

He replied, "I'm surprised you would want a gun."
She responded, "I'm your only child that served in the military for 12 years, and in a hostile zone for six years.  Yes, I'm interested."
He replied, "Let me think about it."

Attitudes are difficult to change!

'Advanced' is being able to do the basics, despite what else is happening. 

Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any AMERICA because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!"  --- Chesty Puller, USMC

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2005, 05:59:21 AM »

On this subject, please read my July 6th blog...

http://www.hockscqc.com/blogs/07-05/index.htm

Hock

Heath

• Level 1
  • Now...Denver,USA
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2005, 10:15:54 AM »

I have problems with my wife not wanting to shoot a pistol. I have tried explaining the reasons why she should at least know how to fire or load the pistol to be fired but she wants no part of it. Also, she says that she will not have to do anything because i am there. I explain that i am not going to be there all the time but nothing seems to register. I fear that the only time she will be concerned is when its too late.

Kentbob

• JOAT
  • Level 4
  • Sound the horn and call the cry
    • Antrim Self-Protection
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2005, 08:39:58 PM »

My high school track coach, who is a retired major from the army special forces, said that women in fact make better snipers than men.  Something about being more emotionally detached when making the shot, I can't remember what exactly.  On an unrelated subject, he also said they make better fighter pilots because women are smaller, so they fit in the cockpit easier, and are more capable of staying calm in a crisis.
   I also read your article in the latest issue of Black Belt.  I thought it was a very informative article, and brings up a subject not often discussed.  When I did a pistol course up in Alaska, we had a woman who was taking it because a stalker had threatened her, and she decided to do something about it.  She said when our instructor, who was male, started giving commands, she froze because it reminded her of her attacker's tone of voice, and she started shaking real bad.  But, she was able to overcome, fire, and hit the targets that were set up.  At the end of the course she stated how glad she was that she had gone through the flashbacks and the training, because they gave her a better chance of overcoming the situation in the real world.  Just thought you folks out there would find this interesting.

Kent
"Specialization is for insects."-Robert A. Heinlein

http://antrimmasp.blogspot.com/

crane2

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2005, 09:00:58 PM »

11/11/05

Merideth,
As a female martial artists I have done my best to learn armed and unarmed combative tactics...I have taken a lot of time and effort to learn myself and to teach others.  However, when it comes to guns I have always had this hesitation due to fear.   I am planning on taking a basic gun safety course to face this fear.  As an instructor-I feel that I have some responsibility to have at least have a working knowledge of guns and to have at least once in my life touched and shot a gun.  I know many women who think the idea of my wanting to even do this is simply crazy.  Many think their husband, boyfrind, some male in their life will defend them.  The simply deny the fact that, that person may not be there or may be incapacitated or unable to get to the gun when it might be needed.  I also know a few women (many of whom grew up here in KY) who feel very comfortable around guns and shooting guns because it was part of life to learn to shoot BB guns and shot guns growing up.
By the way, I wish I could find a course like the one you described around here.  It sounds like it was really great!
Karen 

flicker

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2005, 10:57:18 PM »

crane2, I have the same...not fear, exactly, but, um...shall we say, aversion to guns.  AND I am also thinking about changing that.  I have an ex-marine buddy who has been after me for years to learn to shoot, and quite luckily, another pal from my western martial arts school is planning to teach a free basic course next spring.  I also need to get past my discomfort.  I lecture people about preparedness when I teach, too, and I feel like a bit of a hypocrite with this huge gap in my knowledge. Good luck to both of us as we enter this new area of training!  :) 

spanky

• Level 3
  • PEACE through SUPERIOR FIREPOWER
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2005, 03:29:41 PM »

for all women infected with Hoplophobia, GOOD NEWS it is CUREABLE with a little edification the best people for this are John and Vicki Farnam. Vicki is especially good with female clients and a damn good shot too 

Rawhide

• Level 3
  • Nothing more dangerous than a Marine & His rifle
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2005, 08:58:13 AM »

Meredith,

What do you think creates this female reaction to firearms.  Is it mainly cultural as I have a few students who grew up in the country and they taught their husbands to shoot!  Could it possibly be the make up of a women?  As Kentbob said women are actually better shots than men due to the hip structure.  When I was in Marie Corps bootcamp the Drill Instructors were saying that the highest scoring shot in the Corps was a woman - I think they did that to shame us, but who knows...
Cheat in the beginning, cheat in the end, cheat in middle...

www.dallascqc.com

spanky

• Level 3
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2005, 01:29:51 PM »

Women being better shot IMHO has nothing to do with hip structure and everything to do with the fact that a woman will listen to the instructor and do exactly as she is taught, unlike a man.  ;D

Rawhide

• Level 3
  • Nothing more dangerous than a Marine & His rifle
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2005, 03:33:41 PM »

That too!
Cheat in the beginning, cheat in the end, cheat in middle...

www.dallascqc.com

Kentbob

• JOAT
  • Level 4
    • Antrim Self-Protection
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2005, 09:19:16 AM »

Women being better shot IMHO has nothing to do with hip structure and everything to do with the fact that a woman will listen to the instructor and do exactly as she is taught, unlike a man.  ;D

I have to agree with this, ego gets in the way of a lot of people's training, especially males. 

Kent

spanky

• Level 3
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2005, 03:32:11 PM »

Kentbob why would anyone jump out of a perfectly good aircraft ?  ;D

Kentbob

• JOAT
  • Level 4
    • Antrim Self-Protection
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2005, 09:08:46 PM »

Kentbob why would anyone jump out of a perfectly good aircraft ?  ;D

Define perfectly good.  A lot of the c-130s I have flown in were anything but.  But, I can think of 150 reasons why I jumped every month.  Or, as close to every month as possible.

Kent

spanky

• Level 3
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2005, 07:02:54 PM »

Kentbob next time try the new C-130J the J model is awesome and I agree with you on the old ones but I would never jump out unless it was going down  :-*

Kentbob

• JOAT
  • Level 4
    • Antrim Self-Protection
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2005, 01:02:14 AM »

Well, ummm...I'm not actively jumping anymore, since the Army, in its infinite wisdom, moved me down to the tread heads, also known as te 3rd Infantry Division (Mechanized).  But, if I ever jump, again, I will keep that in mind, about the c-130j.  Take care, and keep your feet and knees together.

Kent

TwoGun

• Level 2
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2005, 09:00:17 PM »

Women being better shot IMHO has nothing to do with hip structure and everything to do with the fact that a woman will listen to the instructor and do exactly as she is taught, unlike a man. 

I taught marksmanship for nearly ten years in the Army and I have to agree.  Women don't necessiarly out shoot men but after an hour of well thought out instruction they DO tend to show a lot more improvement than men do.  And yes I think it is an ego thing.

My wife and both my daughters shoot.  My oldest shoots compitition with me and has for about five years.  She loves it.  My youngest is right handed but left eye dominate and while she can shoot long guns it is a lot of work for her.  On the other hand that doesn't matter when shooting a handgun so that is her preference.  While not into compitition like her sister, she does well.  At the age of 14 she has her own .22 but often shoots her sisters 9X21 or even my .40S&W. 

My wife didn't much care for handguns until my daughters started shooting with me.  Once she saw how much fun we were having she finally tried it and has now shot enough to be safe and proficient with a couple of my pistols.  But her favorite is shooitng a shotgun.

I think it tends to be a matter of perception and experince.  If you get a woman to at least try it a time or two perceptions are often altered and hopefully it is a good experince.  At the very least anyone, man or woman should know the basics of handling a gun safely in the event of an emergency or even in just an uncomfortable situation when a firearm is present.  I believe that it is foolish not to learn at least basic safety.

Download