W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• April 22, 2018, 04:37:53 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Most common attacks in Denver  (Read 2731 times)

CQCKenpo

• Forum Member
Most common attacks in Denver
« on: June 30, 2005, 06:09:49 PM »

I attended a briefing back in February 1993 conducted by a member of the Denver Police Department's Public Affairs Office.  During the briefing, the officer presented the five most common types of physical assaults in Denver.  He stated at the time that the listing was based on an analysis of actual reported attacks in the Denver Police Department's files. 

The five attacks were:
(1) Double wrist grab (attacker grabbing both of your wrists)
(2) Two-hand grab of one wrist
(3) Two-hand choke to the neck (from front or rear)
(4) Hair grabs
(5) Bearhugs (arms pinned from front or back)

I realize that this information is over 12 years old now (I just found it when doing an "excavation" of old files) and only includes "reported attacks", so take it for whatever it's worth.

I'd be interested in any comments that you have...

Bri Thai

Re: Most common attacks in Denver
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2005, 10:59:55 PM »

I can see 4 or  5 featuring somewhere in a list.  But all those wrist grabs?  Even if they did occur (which I doubt) I would hardly call them "attacks".

And the neck chokes are straight out of a Frankenstein film.  No one has   ever doen that to me (though I guess many here want to....).

andy fisher

• Forum Member
  • Respect all - Fear none
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2005, 01:24:17 AM »

I'm really suprised that the haymaker doesn't make the top five attacks - in my experience, I've seen that particular little gem executed on most saturday nights in clubland but I'm struggling to think of a time when I've witnessed a double wrist grab.

They are of course ALL attacks in that (at least in English law) all involve an assault of sorts but if I were to compile my own top five (based only on observation and slanted towards the UK club and night-time entertainment scene, it would read -

1)  Two handed shove / one handed shove
2)  Haymaker
3)  Head butt
4)  Grapple / attempted takedown from failed haymaker
5)  Bite

I'll watch this thread with great interest - cheers for the inspiration and food for thought  ;D

tlouis

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2005, 07:05:43 AM »

It seems those grabbing attacks are the type that might be found more in seexual assaults. Could this be the context of this report?

Meredith

• Forum Member
    • R-A-W Power
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2005, 10:16:58 AM »

I agree - these attacks are all common against women, so perhaps that one detail was ommitted during the original briefing you attended?

These might sound like ridiculous, easily defendable attacks, but there is a huge psychological component to the classic male-on-female attack with the bad guy assuming (often correctly) that his target can not nor will not defend herself...he is often able to simply walk up and grab a wrist or a handful of hair to begin his assault. Many times he applies the choke or bearhug as he picks her up and drags her away. It's frustrating to hear about how often this approach is successful because with very little training these attacks/approaches can be defeated. We need to reach more women with that message so they understand that they need to recognize the potential problem and prepare (both physically and psychologically), to makes themselves bad targets for these guys.

Meredith
Meredith Gold
R-A-W Power
Real World Self Defense and
Empowerment Training

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 07:57:57 AM »

Most common attacks

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 10:57:53 AM »

CQ-interesting -if thats what the report says then thats what it  says..
Any physical grab is considerd a assault right??
So a wrist/arm grab is a assault.

Its interesting as I am in Kuwait-if you insult someone verbally it is considred a assault.

Do you have some more info on the subject you started-Whitewolf (el  lobo Blanco)

Charles Rives

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2008, 09:01:40 AM »

Hi.  This is my first posting in this forum.  I've been lurking for a while and have been really enjoying learning from all of you. 

If I read the intro correctly, these were all attacks against police officers.  I've heard that wrist grabs become more common when the attacker is attacking a person who is visibly armed.  In this case, the attacker may be going for wrists as an attempt to prevent the officer from deploying a sidearm, baton or other weapon. 

I've heard that the traditional Japanese martial arts focused very heavily on wrist grab defenses specifically to counter having their sword drawstroke fouled.

- Chuck

Nick Hughes

• Level 4
    • Fight Survival
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2008, 09:18:46 AM »

El Lobo,

Verbally attacking someone is deemed assault here as well mate.  It becomes assault and battery when you lay hands on them.

Chuck, welcome to the madhouse.

Nick
Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking.
--Ferdinand Foch-- at the Battle of the Marne

michael

• Level 3
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2008, 12:57:23 AM »

Hey Chuck, good to see you over here. Long time no talk. ;D
**To be a warrior is not a simple matter of wishing to be one. It is rather an endless struggle that will go on to the very last moment of our lives. Nobody is born a warrior, in exactly the same way that nobody is born an average man. We make ourselves into one or the other.** Carlos Castaneda

Download