W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• January 22, 2018, 01:49:39 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Can CCH people really gunfight?  (Read 2529 times)

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
Can CCH people really gunfight?
« on: January 01, 2012, 07:22:45 PM »

Benjamin Liu

• Level 4
Re: Can CCH people really gunfight?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 07:54:21 PM »

It is difficult to win a gunfight when the bad guy knows in advance where the one CCW person will be and probably practiced attacking that location multiple times and the CCW person wears an extra-large T-shirt which keeps them from drawing easily.

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 08:12:41 PM »

The kid in the class was totally ambushed. The police running the show, if in the same position, would have been totally ambushed.

Interesting points though-

- the importance of scenario training, not... NOT...shooting at tin cans with airsoft.

- the draw was so inhibited by the overhanging shirt

- and the common CCH person has zip-zero idea about a situational gun fight. 

Hock

Canuk

• Level 4
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 06:34:18 PM »

This is not convincing of anything to me.

I'm going to assume that the cop who gave the students the gun was the active shooter, thus new who was armed.

I would also be curious to know if the student was told where to sit, they all seemed to sit in the front row center.

And im in agreement about the ambush, it served its purpose. the same purpose that all ambush serve and that is to go shock and awe on your ass and distroy you before you can react.

noload

• Level 4
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 08:20:34 PM »

Would have been interesting to see how an average cop would have done.

my dad used to carry a backup gun in an ankle holster if he was going to spend any amount of time in a squad car. He knew his primary would be hard to draw while seated.

redfive

• Level 3
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 06:49:28 PM »

My first instructor was a Plano TX cop. He to always carried a backup when in the car. Usually sitting beside him, or on the center console.( Back in the days when you didnt have the NASA space shuttle computer systems in the car, so there was lots of room. When I would ride with him people would always pull up along side the car and roll down the widows to ask a question or report something. He said anyone of  those people could be a nut job. So he always had the gun ready to go. But in public he told me you have to decide weather or not you wont to live a life of complete paranoia 100% of the time, when off duty. Sort of ruins a social life if you walk around like your in a full time combat zone. So this is one reason when off duty he would not were a police ball cap or any other cool law enforcement hat  that he had gotten on trade. FBI, CIA, Sheriff. He said it stands out and he would be the first to be shot at. He was also a retired Army Ranger. Served two tours in Vietnam. No retired vet shirts or hats or Proud Army shirts, Again it tells a bad guy that you have training, are a vet and have been or may have been in combat. But he also stressed, that like winning the lottery, the odds are not great but someone has to be a winner. In an ambush there has to be a first killed. Its an odds game, unless the shooter knows who is carrying. In the video the kid wasnt the first shot at, he didnt freeze, he just got tangled up in his shirt. Luckely we know to practice this. So to me this is not a failure on the Kid, but to the instructor that shot him for not teaching him to over come the concealed draw to begin with. They showed him only the outside/ hip draw only in the video at least. I dress normally and drive a normal car and carry. I cop has a nice blue dress uniform or a tactical outfit and drives a marked black in white. Who is going to get shot at first? And people pic on The licensed had gun carrier. Well what is the bad guy? He just doesnt have  a license. Still a civy. No special training. Just more intent on Killing. Even if the kid got the gun out he would still have to wait for a good clear shot with all the people running. Sad to say but I would have been the first out the door. Me and my gun. Then worry about my 6 and wait for a clear shot if there was a pursuit. So thats another topic.

Redfive   
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 06:54:28 PM by redfive »

Download