W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• July 18, 2018, 12:28:54 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Useful fencing related information...  (Read 2484 times)

Trembula

Useful fencing related information...
« on: July 05, 2005, 02:36:33 PM »

This wonderful webpage refers to classical fencing as the martial art of incurable romantics. I think that is a delightful way to approach the topic for those who are so inclined. However for those of us who are a bit more interested in the reality of modern edged weapon combat, there are several good articles to be found on this site: http://www.classicalfencing.com/articles.shtml

Please examine: Swordfight at the OK Corral, the three part Demystification of the Spanish School, and the two part Dubious Quick Kill

On Guarde!

Dan

Virgil

• Level 2
Re: Useful fencing related information...
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2005, 06:23:52 PM »

Ah, I love fencing.  There's an awful lot of "sport leakage" of course, especially after electronic scoring (spit-spit!) became standard, but it still teaches good fundamentals.  "Classical" fencing still bothers to ask 'what if they were sharp?' although it's still contained in the duel mentality.
There are, btw, many old manuals being translated into english these days from the Italian and German masters of the late medieval and renaissance period.  These guys were the hot-stuff martial artists of their day, when swords were used on the field of battle as well as the field of honor, and guess what?  You get good solid cuts, guard & pommel strikes, kicks and even some grappling sometimes.
As soon as I get a real job I want to learn military saber keep me limber. 

Virgil
"Right of Way?!  We don't need to stinkin' Right of Way!"
V.
Resist much. Obey little.

Trembula

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2005, 09:06:24 AM »

http://www.plumes.org/destreza/index.html - worth taking a gander at...

D. McLemore

• Level 1
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2005, 02:29:02 PM »

Yep!  There is more to this Destraza than meets the eye. Check out Loriega's translation to Manual del Baratero and you'll see some of the knife applications.  I've been lucky enough to train with Maestro Martinez and the Spanish System of Fence has made a major impact on the way I teach.  At the school we have the circle on both floor and wall as a training aid for position and footwork. If you've got the time check out the elaborate drawings in Theaubault's  1628 text Academy of The Sword. Very complex and hard to understand but the applications are there if you study it long enough.  As Hoch says, pretty much the 'essence of combat' presented in an old and different way.

My Best
Dwight

Professor

• In your house drinking your coffee
  • Level 4
  • The Warlord
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2005, 02:39:02 PM »

Yep!  There is more to this Destraza than meets the eye. Check out Loriega's translation to Manual del Baratero and you'll see some of the knife applications.  I've been lucky enough to train with Maestro Martinez and the Spanish System of Fence has made a major impact on the way I teach.  At the school we have the circle on both floor and wall as a training aid for position and footwork. If you've got the time check out the elaborate drawings in Theaubault's  1628 text Academy of The Sword. Very complex and hard to understand but the applications are there if you study it long enough.  As Hoch says, pretty much the 'essence of combat' presented in an old and different way.

My Best
Dwight

Hey Dwight!

Welcome to the mad house!!!
  'Advanced' is being able to do the basics, despite what else is happening. 

Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any AMERICA because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!"  --- Chesty Puller, USMC

Download