W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• April 24, 2018, 12:39:26 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The Myth of Reality Based Self-Defense?  (Read 9290 times)

gematriot

• Level 4
    • Systema training adapted to YOUR contemporary needs and goals
"Any experiment of interest in life will be carried out at your own expense. Mark it well. "

JimH

• Level 4
Re: The Myth of Reality Based Self-Defense?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 04:53:59 PM »

I would agree 100% with what Mr King says in his article.
Too many traditional arts and so called RBSD/RBSP do exactly as he said in the article,act/respond to an attacker and suddenly the attacker stops and is overwhelmed by some techniques or series of movements and the show is over.
I talk about this with students I train and work with,telling them That the attack does not stop just because we move in and apply our moves and or techniques. We do specialized training in which we employ a method of continuous attacks and responses by both parties in a conflict scenario.

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 04:55:57 PM »

I agree with both Gem and JimH-we can show the technique- then review it -then have the opponent continue the attack so the learner can see what really can occur-the opponent does not have to go full speed but at least put up some resistance to the technique-WW

JimH

• Level 4
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 05:22:24 PM »

The attacker attacks or makes threat of action
The victim responds to the attack and or preempts due to the threat
The attacker avoids the response or preemption,or takes it and launches his/her own response/counter
The victim must continue to find a solution
Speed and power are not the primary goals of the drill,but it certainly shows you that what you thought would happen is most times NOT WHAT HAPPENS,lol.

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 03:51:49 AM »

Not to keep on agreeing on same subject but -Yes
Additionally I volenteered starting last  night to help train novices who are taking self defense and we are showing basic boxing movements as a start (thats what the school owner wants and is ok with me)
Anyhow showing them what can happen when the student  they are working with does not just stand there as they strike is a eye opener for them. WW

Benjamin Liu

• Level 4
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 09:37:39 AM »

I read his book "Martial Arts Game" and from my understanding of his program he opposes training for self-defense, fighting, tradition, sport, etc. and advocates a martial arts instructor being a life coach and using the training to help people in personal development.

In my understanding of his views, hardly anyone is ever attacked in real life so actual defense training isn't all that important, but everyone needs personal development.

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 10:51:07 AM »

Ben- he says most are not attacked in real  life- like Hock i am getting tired of BS that pops up-WW

Jumonkan

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 01:37:45 PM »

As everyone of my instructors has said "you fight how you train", end of story.

James

gematriot

• Level 4
    • Systema training adapted to YOUR contemporary needs and goals
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 03:22:20 PM »

In my understanding of his views, hardly anyone is ever attacked in real life so actual defense training isn't all that important, but everyone needs personal development.

I met Rodney, many moons ago, back in high school, when we lived in the same neighbourhood, being students at “rival Wing Chun schools”. I remember his very first “mention” in Inside Kung Fu magazine, in Burton Richardson´s column. The gist of the article was that “downtown Jo´burg” was uber dangerous.  Well… if it was dangerous back then it is definitely even more so now. I don´t know where Rodney actually lives now but the neighbourhood we both shared back then is gone. What could have been described as “suburbia”, has degenerated into “inner city”. Cousins of mine still have an auto repair garage in the area. They have been robbed several times and conduct their business behind security glass and steel bars. I respect Rodney´s outlook on certain things but the fact that he glosses over the extreme level of danger “floating just under the surface” in South Africa makes me wonder if he actually believes everything he writes…
"Any experiment of interest in life will be carried out at your own expense. Mark it well. "

Benjamin Liu

• Level 4
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2012, 04:05:09 PM »

He mentioned in his book that he asks in his seminars if anyone has ever been assaulted and no one says they have. 

I think it is due to the business model he advocates.  The idea is to be a life coach to small semi-private classes.  Each person pays a few hundred a month, so you don't need many students.  Anyone who can afford that and is not a criminal probably lives in a low-crime area.

I can see how this model would work and probably make a lot of money for those who want to do this type of thing, it is the same principle of selling high priced trainings to a few people rather than low priced training to many people which is popular in business trainings.  I also think that those into close combat would probably get bored with it.

JimH

• Level 4
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2012, 08:17:18 PM »

When one looks at Mr King's CIS,military version of the CIA,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mFJKx-6LRk

which he claims in the article is not just stopping the attack because the victim initiates a defensive tactic,but carries on in the attack,one see boxing tactics.
Now to me that scenario from the youtube clip does not seem to to be what I pictured  when reading the article.

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2012, 12:04:24 AM »

After watching this vidio it appears that it depends on who he is talking to=the civilian who never got attacked or to a "soldier" who is preparing for the battle field=Ill never meet him but it would be a good seminar to take. WW

noload

• Level 4
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2012, 06:38:54 AM »

Seems to be a lot of head hunting and the assumption that the other guy is also a head hunter.

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2012, 05:38:39 PM »

Noload-i assume you are talking about the continuous striking to the
head -which i would say 99% of fighters aim for -WW

JimH

• Level 4
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2012, 07:49:15 PM »

If we are talking the Myth of reality Self Defense,when is the last time anyone saw the Military,Police or Civilians have a boxer on boxer REAL encounter ?
Head hunting is the usual method of the untrained,the haymaker style first strike thrown.
I agree with HOCK:
Shin,knee ,groin  as the attacker has to prepare to step or step and that gives you the shin/knee to stop forward movement and maybe destroy the knee.

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2012, 05:55:11 AM »

Makes sense-creating distance is also paramount so as to have opportunity to axcess what is on the belt -also training to use the elbow
or use of the M-4 barrel to deliver blow-WW

Download