W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• January 17, 2018, 08:59:40 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Whats in a name?  (Read 2688 times)

usks1

• Level 4
  • Don't tell me.. show me..
    • U.S. Karate
Whats in a name?
« on: February 03, 2012, 07:52:35 AM »

You know the martial arts has always been a journey of the expression of combat... The old warriors used what worked, and if they survived the battle, came home and taught it to the young warriors thru story and demonstration so they could fight side by side the next time. As time went on things became systemized.. Japanese do it this way, Koreans do it this way, Chinese do it this way...

It was the natural evolution of a time of war to a time of peace. No longer did the old warriors have the young ones to pass it on to. And those who knew were asked for knowledge. Some had experience, and some did not. Over time some systems, or styles, or whateva became systemized with training programs etc.... This stepped away from the old "Spartan" way if you will of learning how to fight and just being a bad ass specimen who did not know the word lose..

If we train martial arts we have more similarities than differences. Those who have more of a warrior spirit gravitate to the more combative arts.. Those who are esoteric travel to those systems. Some do both... Whateva..

Martial means "War"... The old ways were meant to teach us how to survive war. Hand to Hand has always been the last resort. Even today our military trains long and hard with their "primary weapon" then they train with secondary weapons and lastly the empty hand arts. Those who are trained chose to seek the training.. It wasn't put upon them as their goal.

I am getting sick and tired of the what is what, and who is who debate. Can you fight? Can you teach? Do you have a martial mindset? Call it what you want, and build your tribes, and try to be the king... But as in the animal kingdom you may be the alpha today, but one day a younger one will come to challenge your territory. That is because life and the arts evolve.

Do the best you can, call it what you want, be happy with your upline and those who went before, and try your best to leave a good legacy of those who will follow.... But who gives a shit what you call it.... It is combatives, or it is not... Pure and simple.

Train hard, and leave a good memory to those who follow, and hope those who went before smile down on you....

The Dean.
" I see people doing all kinds of crazy stuff.. Eatin razor blades and sh--t.. But I wanna know.. Can he fight?? "

Moses Powell ( RIP ) - The warrior within

Jumonkan

• Forum Member
Re: Whats in a name?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 12:20:26 PM »

You make good points. I can't not speak for others but for me sometimes a name means everything.

I can only speak from my martial background of Japanese arts. Often in the area you have lots of people making things up that have no training just  some hogo pog of a few weeks here and there maybe some seminar, maybe. Then they will proclaim themselves masters and BAM!! invisible to attack and there method is "street effective" and "deadly". The name, if its a different language, most often can give you a clue as to the competence of someone and the truth to there story. So sometime the name is everything.

Take the system I hold rank and teaching permission in. It's an American form of Aikijutsu. Its a combo art founded in the 70's in new york like so many American systems. Some 7 years ago, after I spent 5 years training, I found out the history my instructor tell me an all his students was BS. I had a feeling after learning some things about Japanese language, that something seemed strange about the name Senso Ryu Aikijutsu.

After digging and asking questions my teacher should have been able to answer the truth came out, we were not descended from Daito ryu we were a gendai sogo budo founded in the 70's, from Yoshinkan Aikido, Isshin ryu karate, and Behrens own theories on what he called "control" techniques. The whole story about my instructors second teacher was a lie. So I said good bye and left respectfully and actually because the name seemed strange, I was not to surprised by the out come, but there where a number of my follow budoka who where. So sometimes the name can be the first flag that something or someone is full of crap.

I do agree with the statement your comment is making though, too many people get caught up in policies, politics, names, paper trails, and pedigrees. The main focus shouldn't be where, who, or why for's but its utility and practicality.  :)

James

arnold

• the king of cool
  • Level 4
  • oh that will get you killed
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 02:19:26 PM »

I've been invisible for years...
I leave you idiots alone for 5 minutes and I come back and you're all dancing around like a bunch of Kansas City faggots
you're all a bunch of slack jawed faggots around here, this stuff will make you a sexual tyrannosaurus, just like me!

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 03:01:56 PM »

You know we keep on discussing this -I personnaly think many "instructors" today go out train study absorb and then change the original technique/school/art to what they think is the "Way"-
It gives me a headache to say the least-i will always say that you  just intergrate a technique that you pick up into what you all ready know-dont change the name of it-just do it the best you can do. WW

Download