W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• October 20, 2018, 01:58:41 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: First Hand gun?  (Read 4863 times)

Jumonkan

• Forum Member
First Hand gun?
« on: March 02, 2012, 07:26:23 AM »

Ok first let me say I myself don't really like guns. I have gone to the range with many LEO friends and been exposed to hand guns, rifles, shotguns and the like but I personal don't own one and to be honest I don't know a lot about them or shooting. I have hunted dove and other small animals with family but I'm just not a big gun person. I want to expand my knowledge of them and learn to shot so I'm thinking of buying my first hand gun for this reason. Any suggestions on what I should get?

Thanks for the advice?

James

Just relied I should have posted this else where sorry if the Mod could move it I would be greatful!!

Jamie Flory

• Level 2
Re: First Hand gun?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 12:24:26 PM »

"Best Gun" discussions are a lot like the "my karate is better than your karate" discussions.  Much as there ain't no "best karate", best gun is myth too.  Having said that, get with the friends that you go to the range with and shoot their guns a few times (try to shoot their bullets too, it's cheaper that way ;D), and start to see what feels good to you.  What i mean by that is how does the grip fit your hand, is the trigger too far away, so you have problems reaching the safety or magazine release, how does the recoil feel, etc etc you get the idea.  As far as a few good ones to try;  I'm a fan of 1911's and about anything made by Ruger, a lot of people love Glocks (I'm not one), Springfields XD line is popular, Smith & Wesson's MP series is also popular but I have heard mixed reviews (haven't fired one so I don't know).  Mostly Id suggest buying any firearm from a reputable company.  You can save money buying an off brand, but it's gambling with quality, durability and performance.  Hope this helps even a little.

Jamie

GTC-554

• Level 1
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 04:17:26 PM »

The best gun for you is the one that fits your hand best.  Either ask your LEO friends if you can try some of their guns or find a range that rents them.  No matter what you get it is important that you get good training with it.
"The world is a dangerous place to live not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
Albert Einstein

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."
Marcus Aurelius

Professor

• In your house drinking your coffee
  • Level 4
  • The Warlord
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 07:57:59 PM »

grab a glock in 9mm.   learn to shoot well - then get a combat handgun
  'Advanced' is being able to do the basics, despite what else is happening. 

Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any AMERICA because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!"  --- Chesty Puller, USMC

Jumonkan

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 06:18:09 AM »

Thanks for the suggestions. I have shot a 1911 and a few glocks, mostly 9mm hand guns. I seem to recall shooting a small (I think .25 cal Glock?) Glock too but don't really remember it very well, actually it was one of my buddies wife's guns. Yeah I usually shot their bullets!! Not really interested in spending too much money on this so a Combat gun is out. I just want to learn to shoot well, I really don't believe I need one for protection in my home, I have weapons that are far easier and faster to get to then a gun in a lock box. Again thanks for the thoughts.

James

Jamie Flory

• Level 2
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 08:21:15 AM »

If your not interested in a home defence/carry type gun, don't rule out a 22.  You can get a quality used one for around $200 and $20 in bullets puts you on the range all day.

arnold

• the king of cool
  • Level 4
  • oh that will get you killed
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 05:10:32 PM »

buy a bazooka..
I leave you idiots alone for 5 minutes and I come back and you're all dancing around like a bunch of Kansas City faggots
you're all a bunch of slack jawed faggots around here, this stuff will make you a sexual tyrannosaurus, just like me!

Jumonkan

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 06:25:01 AM »

Thanks Jamie I thought of that too, I don't mind spending up to 500 on a side arm its just not for self-defense, so someone suggested a combat hand gun and I know anytime the word COMBAT is in the title or name of something the price goes way up!!! Even if there is really no difference between it and a non combat item. Thanks for the suggestion I will give some weight and thought to the idea.
James

Jumonkan

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 06:29:00 AM »

buy a bazooka..

Thanks arnold but I already have a battleshi[p, Shermen tank, and a Japanese Mitsubishi Zero, besides the bazooka is way over rated anyway..... ???

Benjamin Liu

• Level 4
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 06:43:02 AM »

My suggestion for a firearm is a Glock 19.  It is very reliable and 9mm is less expensive than the other rounds, and if you ever want to carry it for self-defense it is compact enough for CCW.

If you have zero desire for a self-defense weapon and don't think you ever will want one, then an airgun would be a cheaper option.  You can even build a trap to shoot it indoors.

Professor

• In your house drinking your coffee
  • Level 4
  • The Warlord
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 09:51:49 PM »

forget the handgun.  Get this:

'Advanced' is being able to do the basics, despite what else is happening. 

Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any AMERICA because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!"  --- Chesty Puller, USMC

Jumonkan

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2012, 07:57:07 AM »

My suggestion for a firearm is a Glock 19.  It is very reliable and 9mm is less expensive than the other rounds, and if you ever want to carry it for self-defense it is compact enough for CCW.

If you have zero desire for a self-defense weapon and don't think you ever will want one, then an airgun would be a cheaper option.  You can even build a trap to shoot it indoors.

Thanks Ben I will take a look at Glock I have shot a few and I must I do like the feel and "action" (i dont know if thats right but it sounds right to me) so yeah thanks I ll give it a go, as my ausy friend always says.

James

Download