W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• January 17, 2018, 01:19:52 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Knife Ground Fighting  (Read 4608 times)

jpmbujutsu

• Level 2
    • Xtremefreestyle
Knife Ground Fighting
« on: April 09, 2012, 11:39:44 AM »

How much will your sports training assist you in a real street fight?
First let me say that I'm a big fan of submission wrestling Brazilian ju-jitsu boxing kickboxing submission fighting etc...

But this past weekend during our JKD / CQC class. We had two guys one who is an accomplished Brown Belt in BJJ and college wrestler and another advanced BJJ student attend the class.

The drill was simple. Both fighters were situated in various positions.
Both with knives
One with a knife
Knives & weapons placed throughout the gym.

The purpose of the drill was to fight to the death with the weapons available. To my surprise of the the sports trained fighters were completely dominated by fighters who had absolutely no ground fighting experience and were killed time after time.

They seemed to be stuck in there respective sports training universes and were unable to make the appropriate changes to survive.

Something to think about.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 11:40:34 AM by Hock »
Jim McCann
McCann's Xtremefreestyle Combat Sports Training
www.xtremefreestyle.com
www.americanmixedmartialartsfightleague.com

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
Re: Knife Ground Fighting
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 11:43:08 AM »

This has been my experience too, watching free-stylers, quick draw and  ground fight with training knives for over 16 years now.

Yet, BJJ-ers still call me naive for thinking otherwise.

Hock

Adventure

• Level 4
    • Stay Alive Program inc.
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 04:01:10 PM »

Would be interesting to see some videos on that from your seminar.

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 10:12:48 AM »

Wow -i agree 100%-In our town no one trains on the ground or for that matter standing up against a knife-I am not a expert but working under Hock /Dawg/a kali guy and a former Green Baret VietNam era)-i hope I can overcome what may happen when that blade is shown-what amazes me is that when a real knife comes into play in a drill where the knife is just shown (no stabbing -please) -the student looks at the shiny blade and sort of melts down-put the rubber knife in its place and he comes charging in--------interesting yes??  WW

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 03:00:45 PM »

A knife training session should have a super soft replica knife. A stouter rubber knife, a dull edge/tip metal knife. The metal trainer should have a mental impact that you are talking about.

A good instructor will use each tool and the workout requires.

Hock

Greg Walker

• Level 3
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 04:43:07 PM »

During Full Contact Magazine days I trained with Erik Remmen up in Olympia, Washington.  Erik was primarily a HWD guy but had developed a knife course using Spyderco Delicas.  A portion of the class, using Spyderco training knives (Delicas), took place on the ground. 

Yes, it was very educational and we reported on it in FC (August 1994, I believe). 

Also interviewed Rickson Gracie in a later issue.  When he offered what his favorite technique was he replied "My SIG 220."  Rickson offered if you ended up on the street (ground) it was ultra critical to immediately tear/rip/break anything you could and get back to your feet, period.

Greg Walker (Retired - 2005)
United States Army Special Forces
El Salvador/Operation Iraqi Freedom

"No Fallen Comrade Left Behind"

VicMackey

• Level 4
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 05:46:53 PM »

During Full Contact Magazine days I trained with Erik Remmen up in Olympia, Washington.  Erik was primarily a HWD guy but had developed a knife course using Spyderco Delicas.  A portion of the class, using Spyderco training knives (Delicas), took place on the ground. 

Yes, it was very educational and we reported on it in FC (August 1994, I believe). 

Also interviewed Rickson Gracie in a later issue.  When he offered what his favorite technique was he replied "My SIG 220."  Rickson offered if you ended up on the street (ground) it was ultra critical to immediately tear/rip/break anything you could and get back to your feet, period.
I can recall one time at an interview from a magazine article that Rickson Gracie himself stated what he would do if facing w/ multiple opponents. He stated that he would use his .44 Magnum. Wasn't sure if he was joking or meant it.
It used to be in the days where I practiced extensive submission grappling from jujitsu and Filipino wrestling but I only practice only substantial ground techniques just to make me get back on my feet to either retreat or follow up.
"Fail to prepare, prepare to fail."
"A citizen is armed and free while a subject is disarmed and under control."
"An armed society is a polite society."
"Keep your friends close and your enemies closer"-Sun Tzu
"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth"-Mike Tyson

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2012, 03:23:47 AM »

I like reviewing older posts-u always pick up on something u  missed-anyway I have  been watching some newer vidios that were put on  my  facebook-it appears that many are training now against multiple stabbing
-my question is--What are some good ways to practise against this type attack?? WW

Download