W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• January 23, 2018, 05:51:15 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Guillotine TKD paralyses another  (Read 4401 times)

Professor

• In your house drinking your coffee
  • Level 4
  • The Warlord
Re: Guillotine TKD paralyses another
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 08:37:56 AM »

These are tough games
  'Advanced' is being able to do the basics, despite what else is happening. 

Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any AMERICA because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!"  --- Chesty Puller, USMC

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 11:46:57 AM »

And thats why as I have been told-dont go for a leg take down-period....
WW

Keith Miller

• Level 4
  • "Shut the F@*k Up, Donnie!"
    • MMA Fitness Online
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 11:49:45 AM »

I think a lot of these injuries occur from sparring at 100%. Rarely do I let my fighters spar at 100%. I believe you need to save that 100% for the competition.

Sparring during camp should be dedicated to skill improvement and conditioning. Toughness just comes with the daily grind.

We seem to win just as many fights as the guys that go 100% every night, but we have a lot less injuries.

Benjamin Liu

• Level 4
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 12:24:48 PM »

But when you are not going at it 100%, where is the aliveness and the reality? ::)

F. Fuller

• Level 2
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2012, 01:04:17 PM »

But when you are not going at it 100%, where is the aliveness and the reality? ::)

There will be a wide range of intensity in live sparring. In training, it is seldom "wide open" among pro fighters. While the techniques are still dangerous, a reduced intensity does make some of that risk more manageable.

As I train and coach BJJ as well as some MMA fighters who come in to work on the CQ stuff, I see people pretty regularly wanting to "step it up" and have to be restricted in their training sessions until they have the discipline and control that will help keep them and their partners from reckless and senseless injuries.

Still, even at lower intensity, there are techniques like Jumping to Guard and Guillotine takedowns that have an increased risk of injury because of the angles and the sudden freefall drop, etc. It happens rarely but when it does, people jump all over it and coaches scramble to make sure it doesn't happen to their students. That is a part of the training and in a way, being aware of it does help to make the training safer and builds respect for the training and the process.

For self defense, you should absolutely know the risk of someone getting you in that position. But the reality is that you would not likely use it if you were simply looking to survive and escape.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 01:58:52 PM by F. Fuller »

Benjamin Liu

• Level 4
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2012, 02:54:42 PM »

I was joking.  It was a parody of those guys who get on forums and brag about always training at 100% force and anyone who does not is not really training.

I'd never misuse the word "alive" in that stupid MMA sense unless I am joking or being critical of the usage. :D

TLE

• Level 3
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2012, 03:16:28 PM »

The body drop from a rear naked choke is a killing move. I had an uncle  who was a Ranger who showed it to me years ago. Very similar.

Benjamin Liu

• Level 4
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2012, 05:48:48 PM »

There are versions of the that choke that should be practiced very carefully.  The more dangerous ones damage the spine and trachea rather than just cutting off air or blood flow.

VicMackey

• Level 4
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2012, 07:52:45 AM »

A guillotine like that is very effective in a self-defense situation if you have to neutralize him/her quickly. But beware, use it only when your life is in danger.
"Fail to prepare, prepare to fail."
"A citizen is armed and free while a subject is disarmed and under control."
"An armed society is a polite society."
"Keep your friends close and your enemies closer"-Sun Tzu
"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth"-Mike Tyson

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2012, 10:08:00 AM »

Acctually any self defense move that envolves the neck area is a  dangerous movement for the one its put on-if you lock it in and twist /drop/or put a lot of pressure on it its a bad one.I was shown a technique by Michale Depasquale Sr where he showed how to stop the opponent immendiately. WW

Download