W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• September 25, 2018, 01:01:34 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Snipers and Adrenaline  (Read 2111 times)

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
Snipers and Adrenaline
« on: July 10, 2005, 09:47:39 AM »

There SURE is a lot talk about how stress causes you not to see your sights, makes you screw up a shot.

Yet, we ask snipers, even common grunts to take these mid-to long range shots under combat. How are they successful?

Hock
« Last Edit: July 10, 2005, 06:04:22 PM by HockHoch@aol.com »

cgonzales

• Level 3
  • NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT
Re: Snipers and Adrenaline
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2005, 05:05:52 PM »

training, then you practice, then you train some more
in the end it all kind of works it self out.
"HE THAT HATH NO SWORD, LET HIM SELL HIS GARMENT AND BUY ONE."
Jesus Christ (Luke 22:36)

lakerssportsfan

• Level 2
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2005, 10:33:37 PM »

They are firing from a concealled position at long range.  Teey are not facing a close range attacker.

Do you think a sniper would even look through his scope if he suddenly found himself facing an enemy 10 feet away who saw him or bring his gun up as fast as he could and shoot him?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2005, 10:40:30 PM by lakerssportsfan »

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2005, 07:40:34 AM »

They are firing from a concealled position at long range.  They are not facing a close range attacker. Do you think a sniper would even look through his scope if he suddenly found himself facing an enemy 10 feet away who saw him or bring his gun up as fast as he could and shoot him?

Not all snipers, certainly not urban rifleman are in concealed positions. They are receiving incoming ordinance and at times being shot at by enemy snipers and other riflemen. Read Shooter by Gunnery Sgt Jack Coughlin (new bestseller) and the movement to create a more mobile sniper-at times even shooting from a jeep or a truck in hot zones.

At times even snipers that are concealed and at long distances have extremely vital and critical shots to make. Triple- Stress-Plus. Their second or third shot might be a giveaway. They must prepare to flee, once they shoot. This flight may be under return fire. All kinds of adrenaline-pumping stress.

How do you suppose they manage? Given all the of the adrenaline and how it destroys fine motor skills, how are these people so succesfull?

What males a sniper different?
Original selection process?
More, regular, realistic training?

Hock
« Last Edit: July 13, 2005, 09:34:57 AM by HockHoch@aol.com »

Nick Hughes

• Level 4
    • Fight Survival
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2005, 04:15:18 PM »

Because the effect of adrenalin on people is overrated.

On trained individuals it actually helps.  Mas Ayoob did a study on this for handgun magazine years ago...they injected adrenalin into champion shooters and the bulk of them performed better after getting the shot.

It effects untrained people in a negative way...they're not used to it, they don't know how to channel it and it freezes them.

I struggled with this for ages...I'd hear all these stories about tunnel vision, auditory shutdown, time distortion, dry mouth, shaking knees etc and wasn't suffering from any of it...I'd look forward to the rush and it would be a definite assist in any fight.

N
Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking.
--Ferdinand Foch-- at the Battle of the Marne

lakerssportsfan

• Level 2
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2005, 07:35:32 PM »

Because the effect of adrenalin on people is overrated.

On trained individuals it actually helps.  Mas Ayoob did a study on this for handgun magazine years ago...they injected adrenalin into champion shooters and the bulk of them performed better after getting the shot.

Were they in real gunfights when doing so or shooting competition type courses?

Nick Hughes

• Level 4
    • Fight Survival
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2005, 07:44:58 PM »

They ran them through a competition course.  They noted their score.  They then injected them with pure adrenalin and they ran it again...the bulk of them performed better.

People who'd never shot before performed much worse when they ran through the same event both with and without the added adrenalin shot.

Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking.
--Ferdinand Foch-- at the Battle of the Marne

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2005, 08:32:21 AM »

There is great new research on adrenaline. I say "new" but it goes back in the last 20 or so years.

Basically if you are untrained and fat / overweight / out-of-shape, adrenaline will have probably have a bad effect. If you are the opposite, it generally has a good effect.

But we see this now in a way, in our trained, conditioned riflemen and snipers, taking finite aim in urban combat and handling natural stress. There have been some new psych studies conducted by the military that support this also.

In issue 2 of the CQC Internet magazine one of my article topics will be this common sense movement.  There are also many interesting, inter-related issues.

Hock

trbtacmedic

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2005, 12:03:37 PM »

I think alot of it has to do with what I have heard as "stress inoculation". If you put somebody under similar stress as what they would in combat(training), then they will get use to that situation and be more relaxed and able to perform better. So when a sniper or soldier is asked to look at his sights during a gun fight,they are able to because of thier trianing. This is just a theory I have heard about. To me it boils down to you fight how you train and train how you fight. This also means you go outside and train in bad weather and good.

cgonzales

• Level 3
  • NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2005, 07:07:48 PM »

a long time ago when i attended sniper school one of the instructors said that the job would choose us and not the other way around. he was right in more ways than one. the training was intense and we shot in the heat, at dusk, tired, hungry, wet cold you name it. there was always stress, some self induced but most of it was from the  instructors. it tought us to get into that shooters bubble where the outside world is just fuzzie but the mission at hand ( the shot) is clear and calm.
"HE THAT HATH NO SWORD, LET HIM SELL HIS GARMENT AND BUY ONE."
Jesus Christ (Luke 22:36)

Download