W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• June 18, 2018, 09:17:33 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: European Swordfighting Styles  (Read 2723 times)

Kentbob

• JOAT
  • Level 4
  • Sound the horn and call the cry
    • Antrim Self-Protection
European Swordfighting Styles
« on: August 30, 2012, 02:04:07 PM »

I'm looking for some reliable texts or videos on western swordsmanship.  Mostly just for fun, but also I would actually like to learn a little. 

If anyone has any resources they can recommend, that would be great.  Especially one that explains the difference in the styles that developed across Europe.  I'm primarily interested in longsword, or sword and buckler.

Thanks for the help.

Kent
"Specialization is for insects."-Robert A. Heinlein

http://antrimmasp.blogspot.com/

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
Re: European Swordfighting Styles
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 02:18:52 PM »

You would have LOVED the Combat Con in Vegas last July (I think you were overseas) It was ALL about that kind of stuff, chock full of international experts teaching and hanging out.

Hock

gematriot

• Level 4
    • Systema training adapted to YOUR contemporary needs and goals
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 04:46:21 PM »

"Any experiment of interest in life will be carried out at your own expense. Mark it well. "

Kentbob

• JOAT
  • Level 4
  • Sound the horn and call the cry
    • Antrim Self-Protection
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 05:50:12 AM »

You would have LOVED the Combat Con in Vegas last July (I think you were overseas) It was ALL about that kind of stuff, chock full of international experts teaching and hanging out.

Hock

Yeah, I'd like to go to the one that's scheduled for next year.  I browsed through the website several times.  Maybe if I can land a decent paying job, I can make it happen.

Kent
"Specialization is for insects."-Robert A. Heinlein

http://antrimmasp.blogspot.com/

RevBodhi

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 12:30:29 PM »

KentBob:

Today, this industry of European Medieval and Renaissance martial traditions has fallen prey to the same craziness of other martial practices, but from a strong academic standpoint, steeped with genuine humility and passion for what he does, plus hands on practice, Dr. William Short of the Hurstwic Organization, LLC, produces what I consider the best video available for "Viking Combat."  This is very well done and historically accurate.  This gives a very good overview of combat between the time frame of around 700AD to around 1066AD.

Some of the very fine manuals out there are hard to obtain, and expensive if you find them. But for what you want specifically looking into these texts: TEACHING AND INTERPRETING HISTORICAL SWORDSMANSHIP BY Brian R. Price, ed. THE SECRET HISTORY OF THE SWORD By J. Christoph Amberger. THE DUEL: A HISTORY OF DUELLING By Robert Baldick. ENGLISH SWORDSMANSHIP: THE TRUE FIGHT OF GEORGE SILVER, Volume One By Stephan Hand. SECRETS OF GERMAN MEDIEVAL SWORDSMANSHIP Translated by and Interpreted By Christian Henry Tobler. BLOOD RED ROSES: ARCHAEOLOGY Edited by Veronica Fiorato, Anthea Boylston and Christopher Knusel. And finally SPADA: ANTHOLOGY OF SWORDSMANSHIP, Volumes One and Two Both Edited by Stephan Hand

These aforementioned texts are accurate in every way.  Hank Reinhardt's THE BOOK OF SWORDS is very good, and anyone serious about this realm really needs both Richard Burton's THE BOOK OF THE SWORD and R. Ewart Oakeshott's book THE ARCHAEOLOGY OF WEAPONS to get a unique perspective.  These last three are easy to get from Amazon in paperback and are reasonably priced.

Some keys to remember with working a steel sword: apply sword to flesh, never sword to steel.  There is no blocking in this realm, as it is about killing the adversary: 1-2-3, so active body evasiveness is key when armor/shields are not worn or used respectively--just like with any sword work.  The power cuts are: downward diagonal forehands and backhands; downward vertical back and forehands; horizontal backhands; one upward diagonal angle from the backhand position.  The two power thrusts are with the pronated (palm downward) grip and the neutral grip (palm facing laterally to the left if right handed--opposite if left handed).

When inclining a blade away with your own blade--not a block but a deflection.  Some call it a parry.  I can actively deflect/displace the enemy's blade by hitting his flat with my edge using my primary 'sweet spot' of my sword.  These active deflections involve the power cuts.  I can receptively receive (three fundamental actions here: closing, inside and outside) his on-coming edge blow with my sword's flat near its secondary 'sweet' spot.  Or I can actively slap my adversary's blade to displace it where my flat between the two 'sweet' spots, slap my enemy's flat near the same region--using involving a set up to thrust.

Those are very important things to keep in mind.  Movement is key and it must be athletic, center-moves-first actions in evasive, elusive fashion to 'close and smite thy enemy firmly through...'

Hope that helps/
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 01:01:17 PM by RevBodhi »

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2012, 09:40:35 AM »

I have about 30-plus bookmarks in the book called "By the Sword"  by a famous champ -Richard Cohen. Tactics are discussed , but much, much more. A look here...

http://www.amazon.com/Sword-Gladiators-Musketeers-Swashbucklers-anniversary/dp/0812969669

Hock

Download