W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• July 22, 2018, 11:53:17 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Interesting contact...  (Read 1971 times)

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
Interesting contact...
« on: October 19, 2012, 07:19:15 AM »

Just interesting to read...

Hi,
    I'm a civilian and will probably never serve in the military or law enforcement. But I was a paint-baller for years, playing competitively in my locale and working at a field where I got to run into lots of Mil/LEO types. What you say on the front page of your website about needing to learn to shoot while taking fire is probably the most profound thing I've ever heard in that field, and what I used to encounter on a day to day basis. Not some crazy speed reload or tactical movement or ultra precise range papers. Straight up, getting shot at counts.

Playing with MIL/LEO guys I used to always wonder and be a little bit unnerved frankly, by how easy it was to light them up and run circles around them at the field.

We had several marine and army grunts show up and they got slaughtered by ten year olds. A retired airforce combat controller came out and did fairly well, was able to hang with the regulars on even terms but was cannon fodder to the competitive players. A retired force recon marine did about the same, if not a little tiny bit better. The most successful was a SWAT guy who came out and absolutely shredded the regulars before trying to jump in with a team that was preparing for their next tournament where he got toyed with like a mouse for cats to play with.

They were always incredible shots, but didn't seem to extend their awareness into their own body positioning past supporting their gun. I'd watch them do silly things like go prone in a 7 foot tall bunker, exposing the back 4 foot of their body. Or shoot out the left side without switching hands, exposing 8 inches or more of core area, when they could've had a 1 inch profile if they learned to shoot off handed. They'd run with their guns at low ready and miss half second shot windows because they had to raise their gun to fire, which was alien to me because in my training I was taught it was simply an extension of my body, and if I had to aim to shoot what I was looking at, I was doing it wrong. My eyesight should be my point of aim, when moving, reloading, communicating with my teammates, or anything else. They also didn't seem to have been exposed to the concept of snap shooting, picturing your target and point of aim mentally before quickly leaning your body out for a quick shot and snapping back in.

I went and took a basic carbine shooting course at 18 to learn actual shooting and discovered that inside of 50 yards I put my rounds on target accurately in 1/4 the time it took any of the other shooters (mostly civvy gun enthusiasts with the odd cop thrown in) but that once my targets were past the 50 yard line my awareness struggled to pick them up and identify them. And past 100 yards I was at the bottom of my class because my quick reaction times and instinctive point of aim shooting didn't serve, nor did the slight upturn I'd driven into my muscle memory through years of shooting paintball guns that lob at any sort of distance.  It was a truly strange experience to jump between those worlds.

I'd wanted to join the military before having these experiences, then decided against it when I realized just how easy it was to get shot and just how inadequately trained the men seemed to be when they'd showed up to the paintball field. I've always felt torn when my friends are leaving to join the infantry and I want to say something to them, not to discourage them or in any way discourage those brave souls who serve, but to caution them and encourage them to pick up some live action training beyond Xbox and range targets. I never had the courage as a teenager, a boy, to stand up next to a military man and tell him he'd been taught wrong especially when I didn't know for sure I was right. I often doubted whether there was carry over. Sure, it seemed to work on the paintball field, but who was I to think I knew better when real guns were so different. But I've watched it play out so many times there just had to be something to it.

Put simply, it seems traditional training puts 90 percent of the focus on aiming and shooting, and 10 percent on the body mechanics of supporting the shot, neglecting the most important part. There's usually another shot if you miss, but if you get shot that's that.

Anyways.. that was my long winded explanation of where I'm coming from when I give a profound THANK YOU for you doing what you do and teaching what you teach. Though I will probably never become involved with or cross paths, it's meaningful to me to know that people are learning to better protect their loved ones and communities and are being given more of a fighting chance to come home safe. What you do really matters. I can't thank you enough.
-E

Dawg

• Level 4
Re: Interesting contact...
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 10:20:01 AM »

Interesting...and pretty cool! I always felt the training I received in the military was inadequate for the tasks I was assigned, but I carried on smartly with what I had (didn't really have a choice in the matter!). I also always sought training outside the required material we were given and was very fortunate to be able to train with folks who had "been there, done that", who were willing to share that knowledge with me.

What you do really does matter, Hock; glad you decided to share this. ;D

"Whether you're paranoid or not, they're coming for you."  - Dawg

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 10:38:42 AM »

and...

carry on smartly

Dawg

• Level 4
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 12:35:02 PM »

Roger THAT, Big Kahuna! 8)
"Whether you're paranoid or not, they're coming for you."  - Dawg

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 05:04:08 PM »

Great article-made  a   lot of  sense.
As for me-signed up for the carry permit  class in Nov-purchasing a
S&W hamerless 2 inch revolver to carry. Great to have-easy to use.
Borrowed my sons 40Cal glouck to qualify with-beautiful pistol.
It appears that most everyone is getting a  carry permit here in Tn-when I signed up for the carry class there is a waiting list of over  a month
and this is  only   one of  many schools in the Nashville area.
I am awaiting the outcome of the election and what will occur as to gun
laws.
I joned the NRA.......................As Charleston Heston said  -they will have to pull the gun from  my cold  dead  hands.

Download