W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• June 21, 2018, 03:46:19 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: question  (Read 1989 times)

whitewolf

• Level 4
question
« on: June 24, 2013, 04:34:38 PM »

Why is  it knife  defense  instructors never   show  a opponent  charging at  the victim and slashing or stabbing repeatedly -its only a static swing or thrust and the victim practices  taking the knife  away ?
I am  far  from being a expert on defenses  but I  try to instill in the victims  brain that he/she  has to either run, use a greater weapon  or fight  like hell to overcome the opponent????????????WW

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
Re: question
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 08:12:51 PM »

Other than some very classical systems, the rushing knife attacker is not new at all to most people. No one I know of doesn't include a rushing knife attacker in their program.

Trouble is, people kept making videos for youtube and in those videos play "one-ups-manship" by claiming "no one covers the 'real' rushing knife attacker."

I have probably seen 20 maybe 30 or more of these clips where the star proclaims this "no else is..." They just need to look at each others videos more to see how unspecial they are.

Benjamin Liu

• Level 4
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 08:53:21 PM »

Why is  it knife  defense  instructors never   show  a opponent  charging at  the victim and slashing or stabbing repeatedly -its only a static swing or thrust and the victim practices  taking the knife  away ?

Never showing it or never showing it on Youtube?  I've seen lots of people teach  defenses against attacks other than static swings and thrusts.  I don't watch martial arts on Youtube so I don't know what it shown there.

That said, there are some reasons people could do this.  One is that in martial arts there is often a tendency to square off with an opponent. 

Another is that in order to learn how to use the defenses in a dynamic scenario you'll need to have the mechanics down first.  It is possible that the instructors are not showing their entire courses but maybe some mechanics or drills.  I've seen people take things like this out of context and tell others that the drills were what the instructor taught as self-defense. 

Another possibility, one that there is no excuse for after the early 1990s when training videos became common, is that some instructors don't know anything about knives.  Some don't even want to know, thinking such training is immoral.  The problem is that without knowing realistic knife use they'll only have unrealistic attacks. 

I can see how those stuck in the "I only practice what my sensei teaches" or "I only practice what I need for my next rank" types can also fall into this problem; the ones like this I know often have a very limited range of skill and knowledge even if they are good at what they do know.

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 02:12:05 AM »

thanks  for the replies-WW

Kentbob

• JOAT
  • Level 4
  • Sound the horn and call the cry
    • Antrim Self-Protection
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 02:50:52 AM »

Another component is the safety issue.  When you have someone rushing at another person, collisions can and will occur.  I think that may be a concern when discussing this tactic.

Kent
"Specialization is for insects."-Robert A. Heinlein

http://antrimmasp.blogspot.com/

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 03:36:00 AM »

agree Kentbob-also- i have been looking at the various  schools in the area and it appears  that no one trains against a knife at  all except me and 2 others.
(And i am not a expert by any means but between Hocks seminars,working with some other instructors with a back ground in knife  defense and some of my  experiences  our students at  least  practice on  some ideas  on  how to defend and  over come . (One thing we  work  on is the use of expedient wpns in the area to use against the opponent) -WW

Download