General Category > Unarmed Combatives

A Gracie says

<< < (2/4) > >>

Dawg:
I have indeed stolen from you, Uncle Arnold! I'm still working on my smirk when I'm dishing out some of your "mind numbing madness", but I've got my evil chuckle down pretty good these days!

I would take this opportunity to thank you for all the pain you shared with me the last time we trained, but I wouldn't want you to try to out do yourself the next time. Despite rumors to the contrary, I am NOT unbreakable! ;)

RevBodhi:
BJJ and GracieJJ is nothing more than Judo with an emphasis in Newaza. I remember Rorian when he and his Gracie horde lived in Denver. I lived in Colorado Springs at the time. Early 1990s.

Rorian was attempting to make a name for himself then. At the time I was associated with a group created by the former Olympic Judo Coach, and Rorian had offered a friendly challenge to this coach. Rorion was a slick dude, being a former attorney in Brazil, and had this coach sign a disclosure wavier that no matter how the match turned out the coach could not use the event in any way to promote himself and his group. I think Rorion knew something then.

Well, the former Olympic-Judo coach annihilated Rorion from the stand up game (remember, Helio made Gracie Jiujutu because he was so small and just lousy at the stand up game) slamming Rorion to the mat with a textbook Uchimata, and then proceeded to pin Rorion with a Tate-shiho-gatame. Rorion could do nothing to get out. In Judo, a 30 second pin is a win. The coach had total head and hip control, and once again the infamous Gracie BS (this time secured with so-called legal papers) of not tapping out to this former Olympic Judo coach's pin, making the match a draw. This was something Rorion no doubt learned from his pappy after Masahiko Kimura choked out and dislocated Helio's shoulder with ude-garami. Kimura stated in an interview that he didn't want to kill Helio, but because Helio refused to tap out, Helio's camp made it draw--even after Kimura dominated Helio from start finish. Some say that's toughness on Helio's part. To me, that's a piss-poor attitude over losing--not toughness). As far as Rorion's match with the former Olympic Judo Coach? I know this, as I was there at the match, and watched with my own eyes. BS was the word that kept ruminating through the Judo spectators. That no tap rule was never discussed pre-match.

I bitched the coach out for signing the document, but Rorion wouldn't go through with it unless the former coach signed it. And this former Olympic Judo coach really wanted to "fight" this brazen, up-and-coming new JIUJITSU group. Ego can be a bad thing, unless secured with legal papers. I have no respect for how Gracies' went about fabricating their crap, beginning with Helio, making it out to be more than what it is: JUDO NEWAZA. Personal vendetta? Better believe it.

The last BJJ blackbelt I had any dealings with was visiting our old dojo here in Ohio, back in 2007 when we were all in fatigues doing "combatives" during an open gym on a Friday night. We were working from worst case scenarios and fighting out--"slammed to the ground full force, being dominated: so now get back up on the feet and bug out or destroy the enemy." The BJJ asked if he could join in. I explained the drill and what the goal was--get out/escape or destroy the enemy. That was the goal.

I worked with him, so I drove into him at the start, and slammed this BJJ down with a single leg trip combo, or in traditional Judo, it is known as Kuchiki Taoshi (dead-tree-drop). When he hit the ground, he did a beautiful reversal on me and was about to perform ude hishigi juji gatame (cross body, straight arm lock) on me, so sticking to the drill, I countered his arm-lock, rolling into him, taking out my steel trainer, and proceeded to pseudo-disembowel and emasculate this BJJ blackbelt with my training knife I had concealed. He didn't like how that steel trainer felt, jumping up, and in all comic seriousness, yelled at me: "You can't do that!" And my reply was simply, "Well, I just did. Remember the drill? You reversed me. I got out of a bad situation and took care of business. You're dead or bleeding out, close to dead by now." He didn't get it, nor did he like the drill. Never saw him again in our dojo.

So I am not as narrow minded as you think. I have been active as a participant, student, competitor and instructor in Real Judo beginning in 1960 and own a Hachidan in this good ole fashion "crippler of athletes" Judo from Japan, which is still the parent art of all Brazilian Jiujutsu, however you want to market it and fabricate it.

I don't give two blasts of a trumpet for the main Gracie brothers, Rorion, Rickson, and Royce of the Gracie Jiujutsu. They were and are all slick businessmen, certainly not good Judokas. But hay, one can't argue Gracie successes. They have made millions off of their fabrications. Even the Army after Larsen's slick maneuvering with OIC, bought into it, and still uses it to the Army's detriment.

And until I see something unique and special about BJJ over real hard-core Judo and Free-style wrestling, then I will be impressed. So far, I will still remain loyal to my traditional Judo and folk/free-style wrestling for grappling, and my personal experience with dealing hands on with killing combat and horrific human violence from 1970 to 2005.

Oh, by the way, I have been wrestling since 1958...began when I was eight, and have coached wrestling and Judo both long before there was anything like UFC, that brainchild of Rorion, created as a slick business venture to promote his Gracie Jiujitsu as the cure-all to stand-up when he lived in Denver (1993).

I still teach both wrestling and Judo, among other things--withOUT glorified fabrications--just painful pragmatic reality. I absolutely refuse to coach or get involved in any organized, political sports group--which is worse than organized religion--any more. I have had enough of that nonsense. I cannot even watch UFC any more. Rhonda Rousey is the only good thing in UFC, today. Now there is a REAL Judoka. I'll put my money on her over any BJJ practitioner as she owns the entire grappling package.

So I do know grappling. It's my first and greatest love AND I am still not impressed by anything BJJ, and certainly not anything that comes out of the three oldest and main Gracie brothers.

Dawg:

--- Quote from: RevBodhi on September 25, 2013, 08:59:29 AM ---I worked with him, so I drove into him at the start, and slammed this BJJ down with a single leg trip combo, or in traditional Judo, it is known as Kuchiki Taoshi (dead-tree-drop). When he hit the ground, he did a beautiful reversal on me and was about to perform ude hishigi juji gatame (cross body, straight arm lock) on me, so sticking to the drill, I countered his arm-lock, rolling into him, taking out my steel trainer, and proceeded to pseudo-disembowel and emasculate this BJJ blackbelt with my training knife I had concealed. He didn't like how that steel trainer felt, jumping up, and in all comic seriousness, yelled at me: "You can't do that!" And my reply was simply, "Well, I just did. Remember the drill? You reversed me. I got out of a bad situation and took care of business. You're dead or bleeding out, close to dead by now." He didn't get it, nor did he like the drill. Never saw him again in our dojo.
--- End quote ---

LOL! I can't help it; it always gives me the chuckles when folks say "You can't do that!" AFTER I've already done it! I've had several experiences that are similar to the scenario you described, Rev.

Don't know where the "narrow-minded" statement came from, though; I always enjoy reading your posts and don't think that at all.  ;D

Hock:
Hmmmm....
Putting two and two together and coming up with seven or eight....that sounds like the work of an old friend, Phil Porter....
http://www.judofromthebeginning.com/about.html

Hock

arnold:
Used to hear, "you can't do that" quite a bit, usually followed by "How did you do that"

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version