W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• July 16, 2018, 04:56:58 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Hicks Law versus the World's Fastest Men  (Read 1484 times)

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
Hicks Law versus the World's Fastest Men
« on: December 27, 2014, 09:02:05 PM »

"When put to the test, the world's fastest men blow the argument for the training importance of Hicks Law out of the deep water and into the shallow..."

http://forcenecessarytv.blogspot.com/2014/03/the-worlds-fastest-men-versus-hicks-law.html
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 06:22:11 PM by Hock »

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
Re: Hicks Law versus the World's Fastest Men
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 10:46:22 AM »

Every time I dare mention that Hicks Law is way overvalued as a martial training tool, a very, small little band of emotional characters pop up treating me like a blind putz. The very latest one wonders how in the world I could/would possibly train someone who is suddenly attacked without fully lecturing , worshiping and embracing the Hicks choice/Rolodex theory.

You can mention Hicks Law if you want in training, but in one minute and as a very vague concept, not hours of dissertation, and you shouldn't and can't base an entire fighting system on it.

How do I possibly train people to deal with sudden ambush? Some solutions to the shocking, surprise ambush very briefly are:

1) Train sudden fight responses form ambush and surprise. Many militaries use the term "immediate action drills" to prepare for ambushes. Using the who, what, where, when, how and why questions as best they can to predict ambush, they try to drill good responses. Over and over again until become like a reflex.

2) Train responding from freezes... (the biology of freezing is different than Hicks you know? You CANNOT blame every stall on Hicks Law)

3) Train orderly 'smart" retreats

4) Work on Fear Management concepts.

The rolodex? Too big a rolodex?
First of all, modern neurologists and psychologists advise that the human brain does not function like a rolodex card box. The imagery of thumbing through a box for an index card is wrong.

Look...you learn and experiment with a number of things so that you can wisely select your few favorites that work for your size and shape, age, situation, etc.  As an instructor you learn a lot of things so that your students can work on them and do the same process.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 08:49:05 AM by Hock »

Download