W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• April 25, 2018, 04:54:48 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Untested Equipment  (Read 2756 times)

kamagong

• Level 3
Untested Equipment
« on: October 21, 2004, 12:29:01 AM »

Hey guys!  I have always heard the expression,"Don't go into battle with an unproven weapon" and I have time and time again found that to be true.  A couple of events happened in the last few days that made me want to post this here. 

First, I had a set of sticks that were a plastic type material that were supposed to be "unbreakable".  I had never really trained with them before because they were a gift from a former student, and quite honestly were a nice looking set of sticks and I hated to bang them up.  Well, I got them out the other day and did some contact training with them.  I had one and my training buddy had the other, we were going through some flow drills at a little less than combat speed when 1/2 of the stick I am holding goes flying across the room.  Glad that did not happen under the stress of combat.  Moral: nothing is unbreakable.

The other incident involved my Cold Steel Extra Large Clip Point Voyager.  I was cutting a piece of rope yesterday and after slicing through the piece of rope, my blade TAPPED a piece of metal that was a few inches below the rope.  Not even hard enough for me to think it had left a dull place on the blade.  A couple of seconds later I got my knife back out to cut more rope, and the last 1 1/2 inch of the blade had shattered off.  This had to be a production flaw in this blade.  Moral: check out your knives you are going to carry on war posts before you carry them. 
A life lived without a few scars is a wasted life.

mleone

Re: Untested Equipment
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2004, 01:06:18 AM »

Cold Steel provides really good tests! They put 200 lb or more on the RECON 1 Blade to test the lock. Their DVD shows alot of proof indeed yours could be factory defect. Contact them see if you can get a new one!

Professor

• In your house drinking your coffee
  • Level 4
  • The Warlord
Re: Untested Equipment
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2004, 12:22:53 AM »

Hey guys!  I have always heard the expression,"Don't go into battle with an unproven weapon" and I have time and time again found that to be true.  A couple of events happened in the last few days that made me want to post this here. 

First, I had a set of sticks that were a plastic type material that were supposed to be "unbreakable".  I had never really trained with them before because they were a gift from a former student, and quite honestly were a nice looking set of sticks and I hated to bang them up.  Well, I got them out the other day and did some contact training with them.  I had one and my training buddy had the other, we were going through some flow drills at a little less than combat speed when 1/2 of the stick I am holding goes flying across the room.  Glad that did not happen under the stress of combat.  Moral: nothing is unbreakable.

The other incident involved my Cold Steel Extra Large Clip Point Voyager.  I was cutting a piece of rope yesterday and after slicing through the piece of rope, my blade TAPPED a piece of metal that was a few inches below the rope.  Not even hard enough for me to think it had left a dull place on the blade.  A couple of seconds later I got my knife back out to cut more rope, and the last 1 1/2 inch of the blade had shattered off.  This had to be a production flaw in this blade.  Moral: check out your knives you are going to carry on war posts before you carry them. 

Their customer service department is pretty good.   Take pictures, and send them an email with pictures....
  'Advanced' is being able to do the basics, despite what else is happening. 

Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any AMERICA because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!"  --- Chesty Puller, USMC

Download