General Category > Knife Combat

Untested Equipment

(1/1)

kamagong:
Hey guys!  I have always heard the expression,"Don't go into battle with an unproven weapon" and I have time and time again found that to be true.  A couple of events happened in the last few days that made me want to post this here. 

First, I had a set of sticks that were a plastic type material that were supposed to be "unbreakable".  I had never really trained with them before because they were a gift from a former student, and quite honestly were a nice looking set of sticks and I hated to bang them up.  Well, I got them out the other day and did some contact training with them.  I had one and my training buddy had the other, we were going through some flow drills at a little less than combat speed when 1/2 of the stick I am holding goes flying across the room.  Glad that did not happen under the stress of combat.  Moral: nothing is unbreakable.

The other incident involved my Cold Steel Extra Large Clip Point Voyager.  I was cutting a piece of rope yesterday and after slicing through the piece of rope, my blade TAPPED a piece of metal that was a few inches below the rope.  Not even hard enough for me to think it had left a dull place on the blade.  A couple of seconds later I got my knife back out to cut more rope, and the last 1 1/2 inch of the blade had shattered off.  This had to be a production flaw in this blade.  Moral: check out your knives you are going to carry on war posts before you carry them. 

mleone:
Cold Steel provides really good tests! They put 200 lb or more on the RECON 1 Blade to test the lock. Their DVD shows alot of proof indeed yours could be factory defect. Contact them see if you can get a new one!

Professor:

--- Quote from: kamagong on October 21, 2004, 12:29:01 AM ---Hey guys!  I have always heard the expression,"Don't go into battle with an unproven weapon" and I have time and time again found that to be true.  A couple of events happened in the last few days that made me want to post this here. 

First, I had a set of sticks that were a plastic type material that were supposed to be "unbreakable".  I had never really trained with them before because they were a gift from a former student, and quite honestly were a nice looking set of sticks and I hated to bang them up.  Well, I got them out the other day and did some contact training with them.  I had one and my training buddy had the other, we were going through some flow drills at a little less than combat speed when 1/2 of the stick I am holding goes flying across the room.  Glad that did not happen under the stress of combat.  Moral: nothing is unbreakable.

The other incident involved my Cold Steel Extra Large Clip Point Voyager.  I was cutting a piece of rope yesterday and after slicing through the piece of rope, my blade TAPPED a piece of metal that was a few inches below the rope.  Not even hard enough for me to think it had left a dull place on the blade.  A couple of seconds later I got my knife back out to cut more rope, and the last 1 1/2 inch of the blade had shattered off.  This had to be a production flaw in this blade.  Moral: check out your knives you are going to carry on war posts before you carry them. 

--- End quote ---

Their customer service department is pretty good.   Take pictures, and send them an email with pictures....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version