W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• June 22, 2018, 06:58:17 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cold Steel Recon  (Read 5129 times)

celtica

Cold Steel Recon
« on: October 21, 2004, 09:39:28 AM »

Does anyone have an opinion regarding the Cold Steel Recon?

I currently own a Applegate Combat Folder. It's an OK knife, but I'm not completely happy with it. Mainly because it doesn't have a pocket clip and I'm not sure how strong the locking tang is. Otherwise I think it's a good knife. I did call Gerber regarding the locking tang strength. They said their test is very simple, but within the military's requirements. Hmmmmm

A freind of mine owns a Columbia River M16. It's OK, but not quite what I want. However, the clip is placed for a tip down carry which I do like.

I really like the Cold Steel Knife, looks very well made, not sure if I like the tip up carry though. So opinions would be very helpful.

Thanks.

mleone

Re: Cold Steel Recon
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2004, 09:44:30 AM »

I own it I love it! I feel its quick deployment almost as fast as a switch blade. The blade gets tested in many ways. Order one and youll see the dvd test!

Go for it! Im happy and bought one for a freind who had a switch blade! I told him to lose the switchblade and try this one!

anjin

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2004, 12:32:07 PM »

I carry one most of the time.  The only thing I don't like is the position of the pocket clip.  It's too far toward the middle of the knife, leaving too much of it sticking out of your pocket.  Not real great for concealed carry.

Kentbob

• JOAT
  • Level 4
  • Sound the horn and call the cry
    • Antrim Self-Protection
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2004, 03:30:09 PM »

I LOVE the Columbia River M16 series.  I think they are highly dependable and very fast on the draw.  What exactly don't you like about them, Celtica?  Again, I think they are wonderful, I carried one with me in Afghanista, very, very trustworthy, and available in differents sizes and blade shapes.  That having been said, I find Cold Steel's products very reliable as well, but I can't personally reccommend the Recon, 'cause I've never used it.
"Specialization is for insects."-Robert A. Heinlein

http://antrimmasp.blogspot.com/

Professor

• In your house drinking your coffee
  • Level 4
  • The Warlord
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2004, 12:18:55 AM »

I carry one most of the time.  The only thing I don't like is the position of the pocket clip.  It's too far toward the middle of the knife, leaving too much of it sticking out of your pocket.  Not real great for concealed carry.

Welcome to the forum!
  'Advanced' is being able to do the basics, despite what else is happening. 

Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any AMERICA because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!"  --- Chesty Puller, USMC

Professor

• In your house drinking your coffee
  • Level 4
  • The Warlord
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2004, 12:21:12 AM »

A freind of mine owns a Columbia River M16. It's OK, but not quite what I want. However, the clip is placed for a tip down carry which I do like.

I really like the Cold Steel Knife, looks very well made, not sure if I like the tip up carry though. So opinions would be very helpful.

I carried tip down for a long time, and switch to a tip up knife.   After a few days of manipulated the knife -- after all it was new and needed to be broken in -- I converted over without a problem.

No problem.   Pick a good knife and don't worry too much about blade up or down.

'Advanced' is being able to do the basics, despite what else is happening. 

Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any AMERICA because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!"  --- Chesty Puller, USMC

celtica

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2004, 04:37:50 AM »

To all, thank you

To De Prof.. Thanks, I'm sure your point (ha ha) is correct, but I've never carried tip up.

To Kentbob: #1- THANK YOU for your service!! What unit were you with?

What don't I like about the Columbia? You're right, it is very very fast. It is tip down like I carry. But I'm not a big fan of the Tanto Point and the only Coulumbia that interested me is the M16-14Z (4" blade) which is only offered with the Tanto Point. I really like the Applegate Spear Point, which is available on the Cold Steel Recon. I'm not a fan of the Columbia River handle, I like the zytel or a nylon handle. The blade is more recessed on the Cold Steel making it more 'user freindly' for less than lethal use. I also like the new locking tang on the Cold Steel Recon, the knife becomes a fixed blade, the handle/blade hinge point brakes at 150# or the locking pin shears. I guess if I made 2 columns, one for the Columbia and one for the Cold Steel, my Cold Steel list is getting longer isn't it? You're question has been quite revealing.

Again, thanks for your service.

To anjin: Yeah that bothers me a little too. I carry 3 weapons as concealed carry. Telegraphing, not good. Maybe the clip can be replaced. There is a custom knife makers site that offers a clip design that would place the knife farther into your pocket.

To mleone: How do you deploy the Knife? I carry in my right rear pocket. With the AF, without a clip, tip down, it's very fast, when I try tip up, it gets awkward, but then I'm sure it's much different with a clip.

Again, thank you all for the thoughtful comments.

Kentbob

• JOAT
  • Level 4
  • Sound the horn and call the cry
    • Antrim Self-Protection
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2004, 08:07:29 AM »

To all, thank you

To De Prof.. Thanks, I'm sure your point (ha ha) is correct, but I've never carried tip up.

To Kentbob: #1- THANK YOU for your service!! What unit were you with?

What don't I like about the Columbia? You're right, it is very very fast. It is tip down like I carry. But I'm not a big fan of the Tanto Point and the only Coulumbia that interested me is the M16-14Z (4" blade) which is only offered with the Tanto Point. I really like the Applegate Spear Point, which is available on the Cold Steel Recon. I'm not a fan of the Columbia River handle, I like the zytel or a nylon handle. The blade is more recessed on the Cold Steel making it more 'user freindly' for less than lethal use. I also like the new locking tang on the Cold Steel Recon, the knife becomes a fixed blade, the handle/blade hinge point brakes at 150# or the locking pin shears. I guess if I made 2 columns, one for the Columbia and one for the Cold Steel, my Cold Steel list is getting longer isn't it? You're question has been quite revealing.

Again, thanks for your service.

To anjin: Yeah that bothers me a little too. I carry 3 weapons as concealed carry. Telegraphing, not good. Maybe the clip can be replaced. There is a custom knife makers site that offers a clip design that would place the knife farther into your pocket.

To mleone: How do you deploy the Knife? I carry in my right rear pocket. With the AF, without a clip, tip down, it's very fast, when I try tip up, it gets awkward, but then I'm sure it's much different with a clip.

Again, thank you all for the thoughtful comments.

Well, Celtica, thanks for your support.  I was with the 1/501 Parachute Infantry Regiment out of Ft. Richardson, Alaska when I deployed for OEF 4 and 5.  If you don't like the M16 series, you could also look into the M18 series.  Some of them do come in spear point, I know this because my buddy had one, which he lost.  So, I have seen it...It does exist!  Again, thanks for your support.
"Specialization is for insects."-Robert A. Heinlein

http://antrimmasp.blogspot.com/

Download