W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• October 21, 2018, 04:34:34 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: gun jamming with hand on slide (video)  (Read 1676 times)

EpicThought

• Level 2
gun jamming with hand on slide (video)
« on: October 24, 2006, 04:05:01 PM »

Heres a good video where someone tries to disarm and shoot a female officer.  She has her hands on the slide and the gun jams. Check it out!

http://www.yourdailymedia.com/media/1161604886/Good_Samaritan_Saves_A_Female_Cop

Shane

• Level 3
Re: gun jamming with hand on slide (video)
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2006, 07:13:41 AM »

Dang that was a close call. I am glad to see there were some brave citizens near by. That guy should get an award.
Scar tissue is stronger than regular tissue. Realize the strength, move on.    -Henry Rollins

Ed Giglio

• Level 1
    • Invictus Solutions
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2006, 09:32:02 AM »

Definitely good video showing the possibility of gun jamming but I personally would not count my life on it.

More importantly what was the officer thinking? Why was she struggling trying to fight force on force with a man easily three times her size and much stronger? Why didn't she disengage and use her gas, baton, tazer, gun? It looked absolutely pathetic seeing the officer hanging by the suspect's arms whilst on the ground? Where were her combat survival tactics?

I can identify four main reasons which will answer the above:

1) Too Limited and "politically correct" training given to officers to deal with conflict (I can only speak  for UK and Italian police forces but an average of 4 hours per year refresher courses are given at best)

2) The laziness factor of many (but not all) police officers who believe that they can magically rise to the occasion without practice or refining/building the often limited skills imparted by conflict trainers (who themselves are often limited on what they can teach by senior officers)

3) The lowering of recruitment standards which I personally find despicable, laughable and worrying. Fitness and strength tests in particular have been lowered significantly and justified in order to fill female recruitment quotas. And no this is not a sexist remark. In fact I believe that if not enough female officers have been recruited through previous fitness tests this is due to poor recruitment marketing. I cannot believe that 99% of women are that unfit so as to cut the fitness standards by 50% to pass. That is, I find, extremely sexist.

4) The ever looming public/media pressure which has led many police and military forces across the world to adopt "pink marygold gloves" approach to operations.

Them more I discuss these issues, the more experience I gain in law enforecement, the more I think I should have been born 30 years prior. I am by no means an extremist but we are getting so politically correct it makes me feel sick. I was always, naiively I guess, of the view that security professionals be they soldiers, marines, police officers ect should be trained to the highest possible standards. In my view
they are the counterpart to criminals and terrorists. Why then do they have to be hindered by pathetic rules and substandard practical and realistic training/support just because of public perception and media when criminals and terrorists play by no rules and certainly pay no heed to training costs?

Ciao,

Ed

Jim

• Level 1
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2006, 12:02:58 PM »

All good points made by Ed, against the officers effectiveness, I think we forget that most officers don't do very much self defence because they don't have to do it very often. I think sometimes we can be very critical of the people appearing in these films, forgeting the difficult job they are doing, and all the other factors impacting on them apart from being safe.

I think she was extemely lucky, having tried to hold a semi-auto out of battery one handed, I found that it was only possible to render it to a single shot.

The interesting points here are the warning non verbals given by the offender and the slow speed and uncordinated movements of the suspect. Visible proof of the maxim of disarming suspects who come to the fight self impaired, even hardened criminals.

safe&sound

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2006, 07:15:58 PM »

It is to bad that there we are unable to equip our officers just like military folk.  For example: they should be in military style uniform (dark clothes, and nothing shiny) hats are stupid, and unnecessary, as officers need to be concerned with their job and not the goofy uniform. Also their cars should be darker in color.  Further more they need a carbine/rifle, scattergun, and of course a pistol (and for god sakes a 45 caliber) BUT the public is not interested in "a militaristic" police force.  BUT they get all excited when a fine young lady such as the one in the video is shot and killed, or when officers are unable to respond to robbers with assault rifles.  This was a bit of rant, but I think healthy for discussion none the less.  Take care all.

410indashade

• Level 3
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2006, 09:01:42 PM »

We also forget that here in the states at least conditions vary a great deal between and among the different jurisdictions.  My daughter in law was faced with taking a big guy like that (we'll call him mope#1) in on a warrant once.  It was a traffic warrant so the department had her in a one officer unit.  When my son (the one married to her and also a cop) dropped another mope off at the county jail mope#1 in a cell started to give him some shit about his height.  The jailer spoke up,"Better look out what you say to the Officer his wife just beat the snot out of you."  Apparently, the daughter in law had really damaged mope#1 with her baton when he refused to go with her peacefully.  But my son is a Level Six CQCG Instructor and works out with her so there is that difference in training.       
"Adapt and overcome"

Download