W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• October 21, 2018, 04:47:12 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: knife attack verses a gun  (Read 2162 times)

RHenault

• Forum Member
knife attack verses a gun
« on: December 26, 2004, 03:43:21 AM »

I know that there is a method I believe it is called the tooler method where a knife can defeat a gun within a certain distance.  Is this info on any of Hock's DVD's or where do I obtain this info.

Trembula

Re: knife attack verses a gun
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2004, 03:53:25 AM »

The Tueller Drill that you are thinking of refers to a "d'oh" observation that a police officer named Tueller made. In a nutshell, it is basically that the average person with an impact or edged weapon can close up to 21' before the average police officer can draw, aim, and fire his weapon.

As Ralph Mroz and others have pointed out, just getting the gun out and opening fire does not solve the problem and although I was not impressed with his video on the subject, it emphasizes the importance of getting off-line. Just because you put two 185 grain hollow points in the bad guy's torso does not (unless you get a mobility kill) stop his 220 pounds hurling at you like a linebacker off the line or the crowbar he is trying to bash your head in.

I think what the Tueller drill teaches us is something that we all learn in level one of Hock's gun / counter gun course: sometimes your best option for survival is NOT the quick draw, but rather an "other than gun" response. In one of the old CQCMag articles, Hock talks about "why cops shoot" and that article is also pertinant here.

Dan

gumbey

• Level 3
Re: knife attack verses a gun
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2004, 11:10:54 PM »

The "Tueller Drill" is mentioned in one of the the Training Mission 1 DVDs (Gun/ Counter-Gun), which I just recently received by mail this week. First set of training programs on DVD format I've ever owned. Pretty interesting. Better sound and picture quality than VHS. I bought it as a refresher (for review of the last level 1 CQC seminar I attended last year) and supplementary training material. I've previously heard of the "Tueller Drill" in other training programs as well as related magazines/publications. The Tueller Drill emphasized that an average man can cover 14 feet in one second and hit you with an impact weapon or blade before you draw and shoot the weapon. Even then, 1 shot will not drop him/her unless it's to the head or spine. It is recommended that a minimum of 21 ft. is recommended for safe distance when your gun is holstered. Otherwise, you will have to move sideways or try some unarmed combatives prior to drawing as well as have some type of obstacle (car/trash dumpster/etc.) between yourself and the attacker. You can even fling an improvised weapon (magazine, book, etc.) as a distraction to buy you some time.

Download