Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• November 28, 2020, 08:11:21 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: To C-Clamp or Not to C-Clamp  (Read 2484 times)

mleone

• Level 4
To C-Clamp or Not to C-Clamp
« on: June 28, 2007, 07:11:31 PM »

I love knife and spend alot of time on it. We do alot of fast pitch and slow pitch training.

In essence there are systems that approach the weapon bearing limb with a grab of CGRIP/VGRIP (clamps)Approach.

There are those who say you will Jam your finger in that process of the grab, only to be diminished further.

Some say Wrist muscalature, will not win againsts Shoulder Musculature. It does make sense. You have to train eye attacks only to make it work further. When thwarted you must switch up the strategy.

Also the explosive retraction of the blade or it being driven through you.

So Whats every ones feelings? I just thought this would make a good topic..

To C-Grip or not to C-Grip????

Milldog1776

Re: To C-Clamp or Not to C-Clamp
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 07:41:21 PM »

You first.  ;D

mleone

• Level 4
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007, 05:29:16 AM »

I feel it might be better to risk a jammed thumb than get stabbed in the stomach.

Vrkah

• Level 2
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2007, 06:31:47 AM »

I think its a natural reaction. grab it and don't let go. if you have better tactics to fight a knife - OK, but its a good thing to have if your first tactic didn't work.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

usks1

• Level 4
  • Don't tell me.. show me..
    • U.S. Karate
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2007, 07:27:47 AM »

Well whether you call it a C clamp, a vice grip or whatever.. Grab the son of a bitch tightly..

In order to do that you will need the use of your thumb. Gotta agree with Mario.. I will take a jammed thumb over a stab / slash any day of the week..  :o

If you can jam the forearm first that may slow it down a bit and make it easier to grab... Remember to grab it tight..

Pro
 - You might get cut when you try to jam the weapon bearling limb before the grab. But if you can get ahold of that limb, you just might live!!

Con
 - You might miss the arm / knife while you try to snatch it out of the air.. There goes that opened up gut thing again..

If you look at the 2 scenarios above.. They both might result in your getting cut. ( It's a knifing ), but you have a better chance to survive the encounter if you can control the weapon bearing limb.. ( Where have I heard that before ).. ;)

Bottom line is not to spend all day talking about it... Go get a partner, and start working it out..

By the end of the session if you troubleshoot and problem solve... You will have your answer as to what you like best.
" I see people doing all kinds of crazy stuff.. Eatin razor blades and sh--t.. But I wanna know.. Can he fight?? "

Moses Powell ( RIP ) - The warrior within

mleone

• Level 4
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2007, 09:16:37 AM »

Our students success was based on a series of things that thwarted full on onslaught with a knife:

Spiting in the face
Eye Attacks and Flicks
Isolation of the arm, long enough to destroy them
Bicep destructions of knife limb with elbow.
Hammer fist to face while left arm is isolating knife limb.
If he switches hands (Humans arent stupid) Then its the eye attacks that prevent the hand switching. (If you get him early enough.)
and more...

Combo of all the above..

Naso Karas

• Level 1
  • Μολὠν Λαβἐ!
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2007, 12:38:06 PM »

Controlling the armed limb is the 2nd most important thing.  You have to remember to get out of the way first.  We say there are 3 C's when it comes to armed attackers.  Clear the body (get out of the way), Control the armed limb (get a hold of it any way you can), Counter (whack him with anything available, knees, elbows, spit, bite, ect.) 

When you are controlling the armed limb, you have to be careful that he doesn't switch hands.  If you've wrapped his arm, try to keep him looking AWAY from you so he can't switch hands.  You can use anything you like to do that.  If you have a death-grip on his wrist, that's great, but he can still switch hands.  Get a hold of his HAND with one or both of yours.  You should be able to hold on long enough to bring down a pretty good spanking on his ass, thus diminishing him enough to either control, escape or terminate.  Remember what your legally, morally and ethically able to do depends on HIS ability to bring harm to you.

Strength & Honor,

Naso Karas
Strength & Honor,

Naso Karas
American Freestyle Combatives
Scientific Fighting Congress

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum.

Download