Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• October 31, 2020, 01:07:26 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Mothers Against Knives  (Read 4405 times)

Bryan Lee

• Level 4
  • Rogue Elephant
Mothers Against Knives
« on: July 28, 2007, 10:29:35 AM »

I couldn't even believe this one but I guess its a great commentary on where we are in society. Im just left wondering how in the hell they plan to feed their kids and themselves, pre cooked microwave food I guess as you know they aint much in the kitchen without a knife. Well Ill let you guys read for yourselves, If anybodies looking for me Ill be at the MFRs For Knives meeting.

JimH, "Bryan, have you seen the Elephant?"  Bryan Lee, "I Am The MotherFFFFing Elephant!"

Bryan Lee

• Level 4
  • Rogue Elephant
Re: Mothers Against Knives
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2007, 11:32:33 AM »

Get the blades off our streets

By BARBARA DUNNE
Founder of Mothers Against Knives
April 10, 2007

FOUR years ago Barbara Dunne vowed to help get knives off our streets after her son Robert, 31, bled to death when he was slashed with a Samurai-style sword.She had some success – by the end of this year it will be an offence to own, import or hire such weapons.Frighteningly though, fatal stabbings are on the increase.In the past month alone in London six teenagers have lost their lives after being knifed. The latest victim was Paul Erhahon, 14, from East London, who was killed on Good Friday.

Barbara, 61, founded campaign group Mothers Against Knives following Robert’s brutal murder in Middlesbrough in January 2003. She is now standing as an independent councillor in local elections.The Home Office has also asked her to help them put together a new banned weapons list for a future Criminal Justice Act. Here Barbara describes what she feels needs to be done against the menace. . .IT is extremely upsetting when I see these reports of yet more young people in Britain losing their lives to knife crime.I know what the families are feeling, that shock and disbelief.

These deaths are emotional for me, because you never move on properly when a loved one is murdered. The grief stays with you forever.Knife crime touches everybody, from all parts of Britain, all ages, and from all types of background.It is particularly worrying, though, that the victims and the perpetrators seem to be getting younger.I believe the best way to tackle this problem is to ban more types of knives.

It is great that the Government announced a ban on Samurai swords — but I would like to see them go further.I would like to see a ban on the sale of HUNTING KNIVES, COMBAT KNIVES, MACHETES and FANTASY KNIVES. This, I realise, would upset hunters, particularly fishermen, who use them. But I don’t see why they shouldn’t need a licence for a hunting knife, just the same as a hunter needs a licence to buy a gun.There should be a record of who owns which knife and why they own it.

It is currently an offence to carry a knife in public. Recent crimes show that does not go far enough.It is far too easy for teenagers to get hold of knives. You see fantasy knives, the kind of things you see in sci-fi or fantasy movies, for sale in town centres.I would also like to see stronger punishments for carrying knives.
I personally believe any adult carrying a knife in the street should receive a minimum five-year prison sentence.

Judges are too soft on knife and gun crime. They do not live in the real world. Rather than being chauffeured from their homes to court, they should spend some time living in ordinary streets, like myself. Then they would understand the devastation that knife crime causes. There also needs to be greater education of kids in school. I would like to go round schools to tell pupils about the dangers of knives. They need to know about the closeness of the organs to the skin and how even a knife wound to the leg can kill someone.

Youngsters have to realise that carrying a knife makes them less safe from attack. If they carry a knife it can be turned on them. I would also be in favour of metal detectors being used in schools to see which students are carrying knives. In September I am organising a Walk For Justice for the relatives of victims of any type of murder. I hope that if it is big enough the politicians and judges will finally take note and act strongly against knife crime.
JimH, "Bryan, have you seen the Elephant?"  Bryan Lee, "I Am The MotherFFFFing Elephant!"

Benjamin Liu

• Level 4
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2007, 11:41:44 AM »

Im just left wondering how in the hell they plan to feed their kids and themselves, pre cooked microwave food I guess as you know they aint much in the kitchen without a knife.

My guess is that they are the types who either don't cook and just buy fast food all the time or if they do cook, their cooking makes their kids wish they bought fast food.

juszczec

• Level 3
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 08:44:47 AM »

I'm a bit out of my depth - I'm in the US and know nothing of UK crime rates.

I can understand how someone who's lost a child would go to an extreme.

Personally, I think the idea is laughable.  I'm not trying to put down the UK, but I really doubt everything is working so well that people carrying knives is the only problem to deal with.

That her son was attacked with a sword is interesting.  I thought there would be a blade length requirement for legal carry.  Isn't there one in the US?

Mark

Benjamin Liu

• Level 4
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007, 04:15:06 PM »

I thought there would be a blade length requirement for legal carry.  Isn't there one in the US?

No.  The only federal knife laws I'm aware of are the ban on knives that shoot their blades out, maybe knife/gun combos being NFA weapons, bringing switchblades across state lines, and bringing blades into certain places.

Blade length laws vary according to city and state.  These laws can be confusing since some discriminate against fixed blades and some care more about length, some ban concealed carry and some require concealed carry.  The there is the thing about "intent"in some laws as if someone who is not a telepath :D  can really judge someone's intent if they have not already commited a crime, are stopped just before commiting the crime, or told someone they would commit a crime.

You'd probably still be questioned for carrying a sword in a city even if it is legal if you look out of place.  I you look like you are going to a martial arts class the probably wouldn't care.

Naso Karas

• Level 1
  • Μολὠν Λαβἐ!
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2007, 02:28:57 PM »

Let's try some more snazzy acronyms...M.A.S.S.(mothers against silver spoons), after all, the handle of a spoon could be jammed into an eye.
S.A.D.(Society for the Advacement of Dumbasses), after all, they need some one to look out for them...

Let's get rid of all kitchen utensils.  I like to eat with my hands.  Might make MEAL PREPARATION kind of hard....

Naso Karas
Strength & Honor,

Naso Karas
American Freestyle Combatives
Scientific Fighting Congress

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum.

Ed Stowers

• Level 3
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2007, 09:41:20 AM »

It's all about someone trying to protect someone else from themselves and the abdication of all personal responsibility as dictated by the self-described rulers of society.  Look, I can sympathize with any parent who loses someone to violence.  Nothing could be more painful.  They want to do something.  But sometimes their well-meaning efforts start to throw things way out of proportion in terms of other peoples' rights and responsibility for self.

I mean, arguably, in the US, automobile vehicles kill more people than any other device (about 43,000 a year on the average, I believe).  Where are the Mothers Against Driving?  Where is the requirement to apply for permission (with subsequent background check) to own a motor vehicle?  That doesn't seem to bother anyone.  I don't know about you, but a 1500-lb vehicle is a lot more dangerous than a bullet.  I know which I'd rather be hit by.  In America, it's the 1500 or so who are killed by handguns every year; over there it's apparently knives. Oh, we mustr stop the evils of death by gun/knife they cry.  And then they remove the ability for anyone to protect themselves.

Where does it stop?  I mean, is it any worse to die in a car crash than a gunfight?  You're still dead.  In America,  if such people were really serious about reducing the numbers of deaths (as opposed to just the types of deaths they don't like), then they'd lobby to force all motorists to wear helmets while driving cars.  Can you imagine the outrage and backlash that would engender?

How about the deaths caused from lung cancer?  That's far more deaths than any that guns or knives kill in either country.  Where is the moral outrage and calls for the banning of all tobacco products in either country by these well-meaning do gooders?  Or skin cancer?  Yeah, let's outlaw sunbathing!

Or falls?  Falls kill more people in each country than weapons.  Where's the outcry to abolish gravity?  To force people to wear helmets and padding while moving about the house?  I don't think any of these are any more ludicrous than laws to ban knives.

Methinks people are often two-faced about what they mean.  It's not about death ratios.  They don't "really" care about who gets killed.  They only care about "how" they got killed.  Getting mangled in a car crash, dying of emphysema in a hospital or breaking your neck in a fall are somehow more acceptable than getting killed by a gun or a knife.  It's that darn dying from a weapon that must be banned.

It's just ludicrous.

Sheesh.

redcap

• "I've done dead, didn't like it" 22 June 2009
  • Level 4
    • Streetwise Philippines
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2007, 09:58:53 PM »

Ed, people like you cause unrest, go away with your rational argument and considered opinion.  It clashes with the hype, the emotion and the hysteria.

Where I live in Sydney (near Mt Druitt, renowned for its housing affordability!) ;) we have a large Pacific Islander portion of the community and they do like to argue with machetes, knives, bats, and so on.  We also have Aborigines (PC term is Koori) and they prefer broken bottles once they have emptied the contents. We are getting more Sudanese refugees and they love sharp things and have no hesitation using them.

In other suburbs we have middle eastern gangs who like to shoot as well as stab, then there are the south east asian gangs and they also like guns but have a penchant for edged weapons.

The common denominator is the fact that the anglo-celtic Australians do not share the love of edged weapons the other ethnic groups seem to have.  I would presume this is also the case in the USA, more or less.  Not sure about the UK.  Years ago the main migrant groups were Italians and Greeks and some Maltese.  These people had a reputation for carrying knives.  Now these migrant groups are pretty well assimilated into the mainstream (2nd and 3rd generation) and no longer seem to carry knives.  Perhaps it is because they are now well enough established to live in more upscale areas? Or we now consider them "Aussies"? "We" being the anglo-celtic original settler ethnic group.

Common factors with ethnic gangs are more recent arrivals, lower income groups, high unemployment, first generation teen offspring trying to figure out where they fit in and maybe conflicting messages from old country and new country ways and values.  Cheapest equalizer is a knife of some sort and they gang up because there is safety in numbers.  Knives are easy to obtain (I have a board with dozens of various items all bought for under $3 over the counter), easy to carry and conceal and easy to use from a technical point of view.  Being the not so bright and best of society, these gang members seem not to be hindered by the same reluctance to injure someone else or commit a crime you or I might be.  This is one reason prisons are full of dumb people I guess. If they had the brains to think things through they wouldn't commit the crime and maybe they might feel they have other options in life.

Now banning hunting knives, swords and all the rest is a little naive.  Few people with the will and intent to use their weapon spend the money on expensive cutlery.  Those who use their swords have psychiatric problems that if it wasn;t a sword it would be something else, whatever object they are going out to hurt and harm.

My family come from the Middlesborough area (where the MAK organisers' son was killed from the sword cut).  Along with Billingham and Haverton Hill, Stockton-On-Tees and such it has always been an industrial, working class area.  It was a tough place when my Grandad moved there after WW1 and when my Dad grew up there in the 1930's and 1940's and still tough when I lived there in the 1960's until 1971.  I am sure those of you living in tough US neighbourhoods know that if it isn;t a gun or a knife, they will use a lead pipe, lump of wood or whatever.  We can;t go banning any and every object that can cause injury.  We need to address the reasons why people behave as they do and fix them.  Cheers, Redcap
“No man knows the hour of his ending, nor can he choose the place or the manner of his going. To each it is given to die proudly, to die well, and this is, indeed, the final measure of the man.” Louis L’Amour

Professor

• In your house drinking your coffee
  • Level 4
  • The Warlord
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2007, 11:03:56 AM »

'Advanced' is being able to do the basics, despite what else is happening. 

Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any AMERICA because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!"  --- Chesty Puller, USMC

redcap

• "I've done dead, didn't like it" 22 June 2009
  • Level 4
    • Streetwise Philippines
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2007, 03:15:03 AM »

And just in from the Mother Country, stab proof school uniforms!

http://keyetv.com/topstories/topstories_story_228004502.html

I gotta get me some kevlar and a sewing machine!  Redcap
“No man knows the hour of his ending, nor can he choose the place or the manner of his going. To each it is given to die proudly, to die well, and this is, indeed, the final measure of the man.” Louis L’Amour

Ed Stowers

• Level 3
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2007, 10:31:17 PM »

Logic is a little bird...chirping in the meadow.

Man, here I was thinking I was pontificating so well...and I went and let that darn common sense get in the way again.

Sorry, Redcap.

:-)

Download