W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• August 22, 2017, 02:43:33 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Solo tactics for active school shooters  (Read 2675 times)

Shogun79

• Level 1
    • Keith's Kraal
Solo tactics for active school shooters
« on: December 29, 2004, 11:07:37 AM »

I am a school resource officer in a high school with 1275 students.  My department has trained and has ongoing training for response to an active shooter.  I am looking for assistance in developing strategies/tactics for the solo officer until the "calvary arrives."  I believe I should respond to "stop" the shooter if I know the particulars, like where, how many, etc. I have visualized/mentally prepared for possibility.  I am also a trainer (in-service and academy).  I am scheduling training next year, where we will actually use the high school for our active response training.  Any and all ideas would be a great help. :)
"He who passively accepts evil, is as much involved in it, as he who helps to perpetuate it."

triggerman-t

• Forum Member
Re: Solo tactics for active school shooters
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2004, 12:57:30 PM »

Working alone in an active shooter scenario..........what you need is the Pistol Mounted Camera System.  goto  www.tac-arts.com

It allows you to peak corners, without exposing yourself to the active shooter.  With a laser sight on your gun, you now have a targeting device (from cover you can fire on a shooter by only exposing your weapon and hand, both a very small target).  Being that most schools are constructed out of CMU, Masonry or Concrete, cover will be good, but does not help when you expose your vitals to a shooter, so this camera mounts on the butt of your mag, a small monitor mounts on your support arm.  Simply stick the camera around the corner, and see what is there, most often with out being noticed.

First responders are the ones at the most risk, they are often the initial target, for ambush, or out numbered early, so with that said, my philosophy is "out of sight out of mind"  If you can engage your threats without them seeing you first, you have the advantage.

This camera works in the dark upto 25 feet without giving off white light......check it out......it sells under $750  The product was in the news in Colorado.  Boulder PD is using the system for their patrol and tactical response patrol officers.

Chuck Burnett

• Level 1
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2004, 11:43:16 AM »

I believe I should respond to "stop" the shooter if I know the particulars, like where, how many, etc.

Going solo sucks, but like you said, you probably gotta go. Waiting to go in ala Columbine gives the scumbags time to play their game. Current industry doctrine seems to be close and destroy.
I assume from your post that you are uniformed or otherwise identifiable so follow up responders don't shoot you by mistake.
Do you have radio comm with your department or the school admin? If you have radio contact with faculty you might sound a select few out to be eyes and ears in a crisis.
If you get to know the teachers and staff you'll probably get a feel for who could be an asset in a bad situation.
Some school administrators have their head in the sand but if if possible you need to get the admin involved in some contingency planning.

Some schools "lockdown" in a crisis; some pursue the evacuation method. In truth which works best will depend on what's happening.
Unprotected students huddled in a cafeteria are fish in a barrel to unopposed shooters.
However students gathered in a parking lot are toast if the attackers have prepared explosives in vehicles.

It really comes down to intel. Most of the schools here have some form of radio communications in place, even if it's just a few key staffers.

It almost goes without saying that once you engage your shooting skills need to be excellent due to the likelihood of panicked innocents in all directions.
I would suggest a lot of work on shooting on the move and use of cover.
Walk the school and preplan cover and angles of fire.
Carry plenty of ammo and a backup gun or two. (In a desperate situation you could arm another good guy.)

Just some thoughts.
Good luck,
Chuck

Shogun79

• Level 1
    • Keith's Kraal
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2004, 09:34:20 PM »

Thanks so much for your input.  I am a uniformed officer, so yes I'm identifiable to responding units.  I have my duty radio and a school radio, so I can communicate with both, offricers/station house and school personnel.  We have a "lockdown" procedure called "Secure Our Schools" (SOS).  Our department firearms program is relative progressive in that most of our courses are shoot and move,ie cover to cover. We have courses for close quarters, ci "Close, Quick, & Dark."  We can always improve.  Low light condidtions are also part of our courses during the year.  We shoot once a month handgun, every other month shotgun and duty rifle.  Your ideas for my personal training is greatly appreciated.  Like I said, te thought Of being alone is not excatly comforting, but we have to do what we have to do. 
I had never heard of the camera.  Thank you very much I will inform my Chief and Ex. Lt.  This could be something appropiated for the SRO budget.
"He who passively accepts evil, is as much involved in it, as he who helps to perpetuate it."

jmech

• Level 2
    • DefenseQuest
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2005, 12:00:50 PM »

another item you may be interested in is small mirror made by ASP than attaches to the end of your expandable baton.  the mirror is small enough to fit in your shirt pocket so it wont take up any space on your duty belt or require special holders.  its quick and easy to attach to your baton in a stressful situation like an active shooter.

by yourself in an active shooter situation at a school is definately a cop's worst nightmare.  Basiclly your decision is either enter the room and confront the shooter alone, or wait until the next available officers arrive.  That decision is going to be made more by your character than any training you've received.

The best preparing is role-playing with simunitions or airsoft in the various classrooms throughout the school.  The best way to weigh the odds in your favor is to know the school like the back of your hand, and train in those rooms so much that no matter what happens, you have the "been there, done that, can do it again" mindset.

Best budget expense is training time running sims in the school.

just my $0.02.

Joe
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Professor

• In your house drinking your coffee
  • Level 4
  • The Warlord
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2005, 11:22:21 PM »

I am a school resource officer in a high school with 1275 students.  . . .  I am scheduling training next year, where we will actually use the high school for our active response training.  Any and all ideas would be a great help. :)

Chuck gave some great advise.   The particular situation will greatly determine the response.    Please get the teachers and parents involved in your program.   Not many will participate....but, make a couple of runs at it.   These are your champions and they will help you out if your butt winds up in a sling. 

Coordinate with your district partners and prepare a presentation for a closed door meeting with the school board, local PD, and other law enforcement partners in response.

Good tactics are needed, and appreciated, by parents like me.
  'Advanced' is being able to do the basics, despite what else is happening. 

Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any AMERICA because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!"  --- Chesty Puller, USMC

Shogun79

• Level 1
    • Keith's Kraal
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2005, 11:50:51 AM »

Thanks again!  Hock was right on!  He suggested I place this question in the forum.  You have given me so much to contemplate and hopefully implement.  I will be participating in an airsoft training symposium soon with fellow trainers, workign on realistic scenarios for our respective departments.  In particular, they have requested I come up with, design one involving a classroom.  Again, thank you so much.  It is a great thing to be able to exchange ideas in a forum like this!

triggerman-t

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2005, 01:01:54 AM »

Regarding the Camera Product.....i wanted to clarify that everyone, using technology or not needs to know their tactics, technology is a good tool, but it can fail.  Knowledge is power.

www.tac-arts.com does offer "officer direct" disounts, so depending on your budget, you may want to look into it, it has come in handy for me personally.

t

Download