W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• August 21, 2018, 07:35:51 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fencing Masks or Hockey Masks?  (Read 4998 times)

mleone

• Level 4
Fencing Masks or Hockey Masks?
« on: October 16, 2007, 06:47:39 AM »

Fencing Masks or Hockey Masks?

What is every ones choice of equipment?
 ;D

redfive

• Level 3
Re: Fencing Masks or Hockey Masks?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 10:21:35 AM »

I prefer the Hockey masks. The fencing helmets are good for light training, but mine seems to move around to much for heavy hitting and fighting. I wear the hockey mask for heavy work. I wear a pair of safety glasses under them for  thrusting and knife work. I also like the open vision that the hockey mask gives over the fencing. My friends don't have a problem with the vision of the fencing helmets, but they sure play with my sight.

Redfive

mleone

• Level 4
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 01:53:20 PM »

What other parts do you cover redfive?
Hands ribs?

redfive

• Level 3
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 10:12:09 AM »

I'll were my linemen jacket ( heavy denim) and gloves. If its going to be a all out war, I got one of the rollerblade kits. They have the knee guards, wrist and forearms and shin guards. Thats about as far as I go, sometimes a mouth guard. Fought a guy, back when I took my Modern Arnis 1st black belt test, who looked liked Darth Vader. He had the Whole Bushido/ Kindo outfit on. Man what a mess that was. Didn't matter how hard I hit him. I finally went into dos monos mode to shove him off and then just front and side kicked the shit out of him. The suit made him really clumsy and awkward. Thats why I don't like to wear that much. The less you wear the more real you can feel and see the effects of contact on yourself and opponent, but the greater the risk of getting hurt.

Redfive

usks1

• Level 4
  • Don't tell me.. show me..
    • U.S. Karate
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 12:18:45 PM »

I run the Southwest region WEKAF tournament every 2 years, so I have 5 or 6 suits laying around.. I just use those helmets.

I have used hockey helmets before, but the masks are held on with cheap plastic wraps, and don't last too long if you use them alot.

I don't really like fencing masks, I can't see as well as I like in em, & it bugs me.

The WEKAF helmets are a little big, but they make a nice "ding.. ding" when you get hit on the nugget, so you know when you took one you shouldn't have. If there is one thing I will armor up a bit it is my head... I can't afford any more loss of brain cells..  :P

As for body armor, I cover the hands, elbows, and knees.

I don't use the WEKAF body armor unless I am training someone for a competition, and then you train like you will compete..

That keeps it real enough, but you can still make a living the next day. If you armor up too much there is no reason to not wade in and trade blows... But if you eat a couple of shots on the legs, arms, or body with minimal protection... You tend to think a bit about your defense, and it keeps you a bit more honest.

Don't forget to mix it up... stick vs stick / stick vs knife / unarmed vs stick / unarmed vs knife.... And all them other combinations of fun..  ;D

And keep it real with the killshot... When you die... Go sit on the sideline with the rest of the road kill.

Be safe

Dean

" I see people doing all kinds of crazy stuff.. Eatin razor blades and sh--t.. But I wanna know.. Can he fight?? "

Moses Powell ( RIP ) - The warrior within

redfive

• Level 3
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2007, 01:47:29 PM »

Oops, I goofed. I got my sports mixed up. I do not use a hockey mask at all. I use a baseball catchers helmet. Covers the top of the head, the ears and has the steel face guard. Don't know why I called it a hockey mask. Was watching Friday the 13th and Jason appeared. I thought, wait  thats a hockey mask. For me they fit to snug to the face, I got a lot of re-verb from them.
                                                                                  Redfive

Milldog1776

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2007, 07:18:51 PM »

Arnold told me to inform all of you that you are a bunch of Candy Asses for using such equipment. He has never worn any protective equipment, and look at him now.

Wait..........

Never mind.  ;D

mleone

• Level 4
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2007, 07:41:03 AM »

Yeah I heard, most people who fought arnold walked away looking like popsicle sticks up their ass.  Arnolds a tough man...

WTAC

• Aaron Warren
  • Level 2
    • WTAC Training
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2007, 12:14:09 PM »

Hockey mask and field hockey gloves

kamagong

• Level 3
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2007, 12:41:16 PM »

I like the WEKAF helmets and that is what I use.  The weight is right in front of your face and it feels a little funny, but they protect well.  And, yes it kind of sounds like someone has put a kettle on your head and hit it with a big wooden spoon when you get hit.  LOL!!  Started out with the Street Hockey helmets and  had too many burst and crack.  I have a video of a tournament, hosted by one of my old instructors, where you can see the face mask get knocked right off of the helmet.

Tried the fencing masks as well.  I could see okay, but didn't like how exposed my noggin felt.  LOL!

I also have some of the Lameco hand and forearm guards and like them as well for training.  Have any of you guys used them and have you found anything you like better?
A life lived without a few scars is a wasted life.

redcap

• "I've done dead, didn't like it" 22 June 2009
  • Level 4
    • Streetwise Philippines
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2007, 08:44:29 PM »

I have the WEKAF helmets and the new WEKAF gloves which are a huge improvement on the old flap things.  I like the gloves but use an ice hockey helmet for the head, with perspex visor and grill.  We use ice hockey gloves but they get a bit stiff compared to the WEKAF model.  We also use elbow pads and knee pads, bought for a few bucks from the hardware store.

I have chest/shoulder protection, forearm protection and hockey shin guards and so on but I rarely wear it.  In fact the less training the student has had, the more protection I will wear.  We mostly spar with just helmet, gloves and elbow pads.  We have padded sticks for playing Hit da Hand to warm up or for giggles but I cheat too much and my regular guys won;t play anymore.  Redcap.
“No man knows the hour of his ending, nor can he choose the place or the manner of his going. To each it is given to die proudly, to die well, and this is, indeed, the final measure of the man.” Louis L’Amour

Professor

• In your house drinking your coffee
  • Level 4
  • The Warlord
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2007, 05:50:13 PM »

Be careful in your selection of mask.   

I like to poke with the stick....

and you must be very sure that the stick that your opponent is using cannot be rammed through the mask.

WEKAF helmets are best....and good "insurance" since they are built for that....lawsuits suck.
  'Advanced' is being able to do the basics, despite what else is happening. 

Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any AMERICA because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!"  --- Chesty Puller, USMC

Professor

• In your house drinking your coffee
  • Level 4
  • The Warlord
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2007, 05:51:28 PM »

....and I LOVE the smell of burning sticks in the morning.

'Advanced' is being able to do the basics, despite what else is happening. 

Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any AMERICA because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!"  --- Chesty Puller, USMC

Download