W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• August 20, 2018, 02:40:42 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Two close calls in one week!  (Read 972 times)

edude69

• Level 2
Two close calls in one week!
« on: February 11, 2008, 10:26:35 PM »

Thursday I'm in a riot and my baton fails to open.  (See post in baton/stick area.)  Today, I'm responding to a fight between some southern Mexican inmates fighting on the yard.  I hear the 40mm rubber rounds being fired at the inmates.  Someone yells to hold up as I'm running toward it. So, I slow down.  Two other cops keep running in as rounds are being fired.  I hold up for a few seconds.  Then, I figure two good guys are already committed And I don't think they'll be shooting with cops in the area, so I run in to help them.  We find a weapon on the ground.  The Sgt. calls the gun towers and asks if he fired any rounds.  One tower states,"Two 40mm".  To everyone's surprise another says, "Two mini rounds".  (Meaning mini-14, .223 rounds.)  I didn't hear that part because someone checked out my radio and there weren't anymore left to issue out.  At least one of the rounds came within 15 feet of me.  Not a hair splitter, but enough to get your attention.
   Now here are some problems as I see them.  On the main yard, your basically in a fish bowl.  Guns around the outside and everyone in the middle, including staff.  So no matter where you are, you're potentially in a cross fire.  The institution has also seen fit to remove all chemical weapons from the gun towers.  No more CS.  Now they are left with only two options; 40mm rubber rounds and the .223.  They used to have short range CS rounds, long range CS rounds, scat rounds (breaks into multiple pieces and scatters in the area) and they used to keep extra grenades for cops on the ground.   Last Thursday during the riot, the inmates attacked each other in the area...you guessed it...furthest away from the towers.  The guns were taken out of the equation.  Too far for the 40mms to reach and too far to see any weapons for the mini-14 to be used.  We used to be able to dump an ass load of CS into a situation before staff even had to get close.  Now all we have are a few CS grenades for yard staff.  But, you have to get near harms way to use them.  Other than that we have our OC sprayers and batons (If they work).  Then you are definitely in harms way.  And some people complain that we get paid too much!
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. 

George Orwell

Download